Off Site Hotels Within Walking Distance to US/IOA?

GeminiMom

<font color=teal>"Tag Team" would be a name best s
I have 2 nights on hold @ RP (6/6-6/8), thinking of calling back to add a night, but will need an off-site hotel for remainder of the week. Since I've never been in the Universal area of Orlando, I was hoping for some suggestions from all you US/IOA experts. We'll be renting a car, but am wondering if any of the hotels are navigable by foot (major highways to have to cross?). I've been looking at the Sleep Inn because of proximity & cont. breakfast, but would give those features up for a hotel of equal cost with a nice pool for the kids!

We did Disney in 2001 & used the DIS boards for many tips & savings. I see that the US/IOA fans are just as knowledgable & I'm sooo grateful for having a great place to come to for answers! :cool1: We've seen the Mouse, I'm so psyched for the thrills now:bounce:

The Radisson and Holiday Inn are directly across the street, but people don't like them.
There is an Amerisuites behind them which seems to be ok.
The newest hotel is the Hilton Garden Inn. They have the Suites hotel, or the regular room version that just opened a few months ago. I'd stay at one of these because it's brand new and won't have "hotel smell."

Thanks for the info robvia! I'm off to tripadvisor.com to peek at your suggestions. Anyone else had any experiences good and/or bad with the off-site hotels near the entrance to US/IOA?

Actually, I've read good things about the Holiday Inn. I don't think that it's a fancy place by any means, but they have large suites for a reasonable price. We're staying there after our HRH stay next month for one night and have an Entertainment rate.

T&B

We stayed a night at the Sleep Inn and were happy with it. The rooms were clean and had a nice unit to store you things in. The breakfast looked good, though we did not stay since we were doing a character breakfast at IOA that morning. It was too cold to swim, but I did have a look at the pool and it did not seem like it was all that great. I would stay again, but not for the pool.

We have also stayed at that HI and nothing stands out in my mind about it so I guess it was satisfactory. I do not remember if I looked at the pool area or not.

We've stayed at the Amerisuites Universal through Priceline and enjoyed it. It was clean, comfortable and they had a very nice free deluxe contintental breakfast in the lobby. I'm not sure what the going rate for this place is, but we got it for $28/nt. through Priceline and thought it was an excellent bargain.

Thanks all for the suggestions. We decided that since we have 5 day passes & are staying on-site 3 nights walking distance won't be such a factor after all. I think I may just try Priceline like Tinaluis did. We're not very particular with our hotels when we do theme park vacations.....clean rooms, good service is all we ask for!

Oh, one more question.....when we check out of RP on the morning of the 9th we planned to go straight to the parks. Do I understand correctly that we'll still have FOTL access for the 9th? Will we have any problem keeping our car parked there until we leave the park & go to our off-site hotel or would it be better to check-out & drive over to the parks & park. I assume there wouldn't be a parking charge from RP for the 9th & wouldn't want to do anything I wasn't supposed to.

Yes, you will still have fotl for the entire day and yes, you can leave your car parked there, the RP will even hold your luggage for you. Once you are done at the park, go back to the RP and get your luggage, viola!!!!

Have a good time!

Just an update. Decided to bid on the off-site nights on Priceline. Got a 3* - Sheraton Studio City for $42/night. A great price, the lowest rate I could find there for those dates at the time of the bid was $109! No continental breakfast & there is a small daily resort fee, but I'm excited that we'll be staying at a 3* hotel for the same or less than what we would have spent for the hotels I was originally looking at. I see that there's an IHOP near the Sheraton & probably many other choices for inexpensive meals on I-Drive so it worked out great.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone :D

GeminiMom, I've read lots of good things about the Sheraton Studio City on www.biddingfortravel.com and there are TONS of restaurants near there that you can grab a quick breakfast from before the parks. I'm glad Priceline worked for you. I recommend it to everyone I know. It has allowed us to take twice yearly trips to Orlando that we might not have otherwise been able to afford. Enjoy your trip!

Originally posted by robvia
The Radisson and Holiday Inn are directly across the street, but people don't like them.

:confused:

I've stayed at both of these hotels and they're both great! The Holiday Inn has awesome suites and I got a great price on www.hotelkingdom.com

Hope you like the Sheraton, GeminiMom. Let us know how you liked it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter