Offer vs. List Price

I am looking at purchasing OKW. Looking for 150 points. I see the asking price, but I am not sure what a fair market value would be. Can you assist?

From a broker where I sold and purchased.

April 2018 – DVC Resales
RESORT Avg. Sale Price Weighted Average DVC ROFR EXERCISED
Animal Kingdom $100 $101 180 points @ $95 (no points until 2020)
325 points @ $103 (double points)
325 points @ $103 (double points)
160 points @ $95 (no points until 2019)
Aulani $97 $97
Bay Lake Tower $136 $136
Beach Club Villas $138 $138
Boardwalk Villas $108 $108
Grand Californian $182 $182
Grand Floridian $154 $151
Hilton Head $68 $68 200 points @$68 (no points until 2019)
Old Key West (2042) $93 $89 230 points @ $83 (partial 2018 points)
230 points @$80
Old Key West (2057) — —
Polynesian $149 $148
Saratoga Springs $97 $95 300 points @ $89 (partial 2018 points)
200 points @$90
Vero Beach $67 $65
Wilderness Lodge: Boulder Ridge $98 $98

Price all depends on how many points are left for the following years, 2017, 2018 and 2019 possibly 2020 depending on the use year. The month assigned to the contract. Check out the ROFR thread under purchasing DVC. The first page will give you current offers. Go to low and DVC will buy it back. Also OKW has two different end dates 2042 and 2057. Obviously 2057 contract will cost a little extra. Good luck

I’ve bought two resale contracts.

The first one I offered 2 dollars/pt less than list and it was accepted without counter. (2014 BCV list $86, offered $84).

The second one I offered $5 less than asking and it was accepted without counter. (2017 int’l seller AKV offered $100 asking was $105.)

Based on my experience, if I bought again, I’d start $8-10 below asking. From my point of view, if the offer is accepted without counter, then money was left on the table.

I’m comfortable with both contracts (and in retrospect the BCV price is amazing!), but wonder how far I could have pushed.

Worse case if your offer is too low it gets declined without a counter. That’s an answer, too.

If lowballing, put a time limit on the offer so that you can easily move on. “Offer good for 48 hrs.” Or even 24.

I would say figure out what you think every point is worth to you. Factors that will affect this is if you need points right away, if you need a specific UY, a certain number of points, etc. Assign contacts that match those criteria the most compared to asking, and play hardball with the ones with "blemishes" compared to what you are looking for. You get the best of both worlds that way - either a great deal or the perfect contract.

I used the Rofr thread...there is plenty on the market just keep making offers no need to worry about hurting feelings. I made about 7 offers in a few days before I had an accepted offer (after 2 counters )

I can't decide if this was sarcasm or serious question. When I worked for Disney Vacation Club offering on a property buying from Disney was not going to work. Has that changed?

I bet you could finagle a couple extra fastpasses or Mickey Bars out of a salesperson if you offered to buy a certain amount more points or something. Might not be worth the thousands of dollars extra, though.

I worked with Jason and Scot at the Timeshare Store for both my resale contracts. Just to plug the board sponsor here.

I was happy with both transactions. When I had a problem with my AKV contract (dues payment credited wrong), they helped fix it immediately (error was from DVC).

I worked with Jason and Scot at the Timeshare Store for both my resale contracts. Just to plug the board sponsor here.

I was happy with both transactions. When I had a problem with my AKV contract (dues payment credited wrong), they helped fix it immediately (error was from DVC).

I agree, even if they weren't sponsors. More attentive than an agent that I had when I bought a townhouse - A much more significant financial transaction.

As others have said, it depends on a few factors:
  • Size (in general small contracts have less negotiation room)
  • Contract rarity (small resort, rare UY)
  • Market rate (ROFR thread data, what brokers are listing similar contracts for)
  • Points available (stripped, loaded)
  • Seller (how fast they want to offload it, what they originally bought the contract for)
But ultimately it depends on the seller...
  • BCV: the sellers accepted my offer of $15 below the listing without a counter. It was stripped, but I was still surprised because it was a small contract (100 pts) and the list price was a already a bit below many contracts I had seen.
  • BWV: I offered $10 below list and they countered at $5 below. I accepted without countering again because it had triple points.
  • Poly: my first contract the seller accepted my offer of $4 below without a counter (and the price was already low to begin with, and it was loaded). That one was taken in ROFR. Since then I've made a few lowball offers ($10-20 below list) that have all been rejected or countered way too high. But I had a certain price I wanted to pay based on my calculations per point, and wasn't desperate to add more points.

As a seller, if I don't like your offer, I can counter or simply reject it. No hurt feelings here. It' s business transaction. My goal is to get the most I can out of you while your goal is to get the lowest price possible. Keep in mind that even if a distressed seller is willing to accept a low ball offer, Disney may very well take the contract in ROFR. As a seller, it makes no difference to me since I get paid either way.

I've also bought resale, though, and found the DIS thread on ROFR very helpful. Keeping in mind it is not comprehensive, it at least gives you a place to begin. I was focused first on resorts, points and UY and had a pretty good idea of what was reasonable and what I was willing to pay. Takes some patience but when I identified appropriately priced contracts, I never had issues and offered full or near full prices.

Resale on both...
VGC List $165PP Final $149PP 160 points

PBV List $159PP Final $145PP 100 points

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!