Office Clothing???

DMickey28

<font color=blue>DIS Veteran<br>Comes from a very
Ok, so Monday I start a new job in a insurance office. I will be doing claims so once I am through training I will be out talking with customers, lawyers and car mechanics. I have been working as a restaurant manager until now. My question is: What kind of clothes/shoes do you wear to an office job? The dress in "professional casual to allow of individual personalities".

Thanks!

Having worked in an insurance company for 20+ years, I would say that you can dress in "business casual". Being that you'll be meeting customers, you'll want to be nice looking, but also need to dress practical! Slacks or a long skirt and a blouse or nice "top", maybe a jacket of some kind. Also, see what the others in the company are wearing and what style stands out to you. Very rarely do you see business suits and high heels anymore, unless you're "in the city"!

Just a warning. At my office Business Casual does not include capris. (Has anyone noticed that there are NO regular casual pants this spring, just capris! It is saving me money!)

No capris, no shorts, no sandals, no denim, no tee shirts or sweatshirts. That's our business casual.

Ours is a bit more relaxed in their definition of business casual. I did start out with nice skirts & dress slacks with a nice blouse or dressier sweater. Now I do dress slacks or dockers pants and a nice knit shirt. No denim, tennis shoes, capris or T-shirts. I would start more conservative and "dressy" at first and then see what they all wear. Good luck with the new job :)

Until you get a feel for how everyone else is dressing, I'd go with more formal vs. really casual. Snoozan's description sounds about right and I would have a blazer as part of the outfit.

Professional Casual is a shirt with a collar and slacks and Business Casual is Khakis and and a shirt, not necessarily collared.

Our Business Casual allows Capri's as well. We also have the benefit of shorts on Fridays (not Daisy Dukes mind you, the bottoms of our shorts must reach the tips of our fingertips with our arms hanging straight down at our sides) between Memorial Day & Labor Day. We're allowed Jeans on Fridays year around.

Better to err on the conservative side until you observe/know the ropes.

Denise < --- remembers the days of "dress for success" with the little bow ties with skirt/suits back in the 70's/80's...arrghh! LOL. Now I GLADLY pay my $5.00 to wear jeans on Fridays (proceeds going toward charity).

It was in the policy I just got when we got bought out.

Since you're going to be meeting with clients you might want to consider getting a blazer that will match most of the business casual pieces you own or will be buying. This way you can be more business like when necessary and just take it off when you don't need it. Also, offices can be freezing in the summer. If I wore capris to work I'd have to be treated for hypothermia before the day was over.;)

I work for an insurance company in a large city and we have a business casual dress code. No jeans, tank tops, shorts, flip-flops. Must wear socks or nylons, no open sandals (those seem to go out the window in the summer).

We do have casual Friday with a $1 donation to either the employee club or a charity. Jeans are allowed on that day, as long as no one "important" is going to be in (i.e. company president).

Pretty much everyone in my office uses common sense. If you are going out to meet an agent or insured, dress up a little. Men will put on ties and dress shirt, women dress pants and a nice blouse or sweater. Not too many women wear dresses or skirts these days (can't tell you the last time I wore pantyhose).

I agree that I would go on the conservative side until you get a feel for what everyone else wears.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter