"Official" 2018 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party - A Spooktacular Celebration!

I’m bummed as well, I booked this as a surprise and now I will be canceling. At least my daughter never knew what she’d be missing.

If this was for your granddaughter I totally recommend Pirates & Pals Fireworks Voyage. Wow, is it so much fun and it includes a meet & greet with rare characters like Captain Hook, Mr. Smee and Peter Pan. Here's WDW link if interested:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/contemporary-resort/pirates-and-pals-fireworks-voyage/

We wore our pirate Halloween costumes as did other families and it was an amazing experience!

Look at that smile, priceless!
upload_2018-6-19_17-44-56.png

DH and Peter Pan exchanged mild snarky remarks and DH got the best of Peter Pan! Fun!
upload_2018-6-19_17-46-21.png

I don't disagree about being notified. But there is some time until the event and it is possible they haven't finalized what will be offered so were holding off on notifications.
People would be up in arms also if got notification of change and decided to cancel, then found out they added it back.

My post was that there is no 'bait and switch' since Disney always says 'Experiences subject to change'.
I do not think Disney is holding off on notifications here. They have a way of just NOT notifying. I had booked a special dining event (the Perfectly Princess Tea Party) for next month. I booked it at 180 days. About two weeks ago, on a whim, I decided to check to see if it was still available to be booked or was totally full. Well, to my surprise, it has been greyed out for the day I had booked it. After many phone calls and transfers to different CMs, it was established that this event was cancelled. No one ever notified me, and the events manager I eventually spoke to had no idea why or how that happened. I was offered a FP for the day, but we already had 6 FP (3 plus 3 purchased as part of our CL stay) so I declined it; I dont want an extra hour in the park. I was able to rebook it on another day, fortunately. But what if I hadn’t decided to check this?! This was meant (is meant) to be a surprise for my DD. Imagine if I had asked her to put on a princess dres, taken her to the GF, and only then learned that this wasn’t happening. She would have been inconsolable. I likely would have too. I am now going to obsessively check my reservations for special events to make sure they are taking place and still offer what they were advertising when I made the reservation.

I do not think Disney is holding off on notifications here. They have a way of just NOT notifying. I had booked a special dining event (the Perfectly Princess Tea Party) for next month. I booked it at 180 days. About two weeks ago, on a whim, I decided to check to see if it was still available to be booked or was totally full. Well, to my surprise, it has been greyed out for the day I had booked it. After many phone calls and transfers to different CMs, it was established that this event was cancelled. No one ever notified me, and the events manager I eventually spoke to had no idea why or how that happened. I was offered a FP for the day, but we already had 6 FP (3 plus 3 purchased as part of our CL stay) so I declined it; I dont want an extra hour in the park. I was able to rebook it on another day, fortunately. But what if I hadn’t decided to check this?! This was meant (is meant) to be a surprise for my DD. Imagine if I had asked her to put on a princess dres, taken her to the GF, and only then learned that this wasn’t happening. She would have been inconsolable. I likely would have too. I am now going to obsessively check my reservations for special events to make sure they are taking place and still offer what they were advertising when I made the reservation.

Everyone should stay on top of their plans. Especially park hours as those can and have changed even overnight. Happened to me!

I got a call back from the same CM who called me earlier in the month. I missed the call, but she left a voicemail. Lots off apologies, blah blah blah subject to change, more apologies blah blah blah as of right now parade viewing is not included. She invited me to call her back, but I'm not sure there is any point really. Bottom line is, keep an eye on it because it could change a few more times over the next few months.

I still find it odd that they aren't notifying people, it wouldn't be that hard to do in an email blast. I recall a few years back that I got a call when the time for a Wishes dessert party got changed because the wished time got bumped an hour. That to me was a more minor change and they were actually phoning everybody.

I emailed re: continual website mistakes. I'm sure it will change nothing, but it makes me feel better, haha... I simply said I love WDW, but I implore you to please add some quality control to your website. Making the exact same mistakes year-after-year is careless to the point of negligent. Oh well. Last time I emailed him (and the only other time I have done so -- I forget what got me so worked up that time, haha) I got a call from his office thanking me for my email.

Last edited:

I think the worst blow last year was the fastpass issue. The cancellations without warning, guest losing coveted rides. Bad form Disney!

I forget how that turned out, I thought we all knew a head of time but how we knew :confused3

History repeated itself with nearly perfect accuracy... Someone noted the times changed for 2017 (for the parade and the dessert party) and people were skeptical ahead of time about the parade viewing being included. Calls to CMs were made, assurances it was included. Then someone noticed the website was edited (either late June or early July). And then when calls were made, CMs said it's not included... almost a mirror of this year. Like last year I had it booked and I cancelled it when the parade was dropped.

I'm debating dropping it this year, I probably will because my kids are young and we leave after the fireworks. So I need to do the first parade, which is quite challenging if also doing the party. Which is why I was so excited at the hope it would be included again this year. I blame myself for letting myself think the parade viewing really might be included again...

I think the worst blow last year was the fastpass issue. The cancellations without warning, guest losing coveted rides. Bad form Disney!

Agreed. And I think we never even got resolution about what was supposed to happen... CMs gave vastly different answers every time someone asked...

Disney always covers their butts.. There is language in there that it is all subject to change.. So whatever they want to do, they can. And will keep doing it as long as people are giving them money.
That's what's funny, though: all of these people that booked will cancel and Disney will lose the money they planned on getting.

That's what's funny, though: all of these people that booked will cancel and Disney will lose the money they planned on getting.

Not necessarily, many don't use the DIS or other planning sites and are typically the last to know. Still, if you plan on spending a chunk of change you should at least do your homework. Anyone is free to use these forums and they don't cost a penny! There really is no excuse. Computers are free at most public libraries and majority of people own cell phones with internet access. The elderly have access too via their community out reach programs and often are given an aid helper to assist. I could be wrong here, but I think travel agents can assist too when you book with them and not all charge a fee for their services.

Not necessarily, many don't use the DIS or other planning sites and are typically the last to know. Still, if you plan on spending a chunk of change you should at least do your homework. Anyone is free to use these forums and they don't cost a penny! There really is no excuse. Computers are free at most public libraries and majority of people own cell phones with internet access. The elderly have access too via their community out reach programs and often are given an aid helper to assist. I could be wrong here, but I think travel agents can assist too when you book with them and not all charge a fee for their services.
I guess I was mainly thinking of the DIS folks since they are most likely the ones that have paid for the experience this far in advance.

I got a call back from the same CM who called me earlier in the month. I missed the call, but she left a voicemail. Lots off apologies, blah blah blah subject to change, more apologies blah blah blah as of right now parade viewing is not included. She invited me to call her back, but I'm not sure there is any point really. Bottom line is, keep an eye on it because it could change a few more times over the next few months.

I still find it odd that they aren't notifying people, it wouldn't be that hard to do in an email blast. I recall a few years back that I got a call when the time for a Wishes dessert party got changed because the wished time got bumped an hour. That to me was a more minor change and they were actually phoning everybody.

I would call them back if it was me. Rare to find someone willing to call you to share information without you harassing them or hunting them down. If nothing else I would call to thank them for taking the time to do that, but that's just me.

Just purchased my ticket for the first party. Never had an intention to go this year, but decided to do a solo trip with my toddler while my hubby is out of town.

So where is the best place to try and watch the parade without waiting an extended period of time. I can keep my toddler entertained a little while, but I can't wait an hour for a good spot. Typically with my husband we take turns waiting while we let my son run around.

Last edited:
Just purchased my ticket for the first party. Never had an intention to go this year, but decided to do a solo trip with my toddler while my son is out of town.

So where is the best place to try and watch the parade without waiting an extended period of time. I can keep my toddler entertained a little while, but I can't wait an hour for a good spot. Typically with my husband we take turns waiting while we let my son run around.

i love watching the boo to you parade in frontierland. always have, always will. never super crowded and it just adds to the theming.

I would call them back if it was me. Rare to find someone willing to call you to share information without you harassing them or hunting them down. If nothing else I would call to thank them for taking the time to do that, but that's just me.

You make a very good point and after sleeping on in it, I'm less annoyed today. And you're right it is a bit unusual to have this type of response from just a random email into a general email box so I will be calling to thank her for the personalized follow up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!