Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

My DBF and I will be doing the 5k! Hopefully, some of my FL friends will join in. I did the 10k in 2016 and loved it; the 10k sold out this year so that's why we went for the 5k.
I've also done two of the Castaway Cay 5ks and this will be his first Disney run.

My DBF and I will be doing the 5k! Hopefully, some of my FL friends will join in. I did the 10k in 2016 and loved it; the 10k sold out this year so that's why we went for the 5k.
I've also done two of the Castaway Cay 5ks and this will be his first Disney run.
The castaway 5k is probably my favorite 5k! I am sure the days leading up to and after have an influence on the rating.

Oh for sure, it's clearly the best lead up and after time for a Disney race :rolleyes1!
So I ran a 5K, now I am tired! I have to spend the rest of the day in a tropical Paradise with excellent BBQ and drinks. No thanks, I would rather run the local new year frozen 5k!

With the "hiatus" of DLR race weekends, I wonder how WDW race weekends might be impacted. I've already seen a good amount of people looking to cancel their PHM/SWDS registrations since now pink C2C and Kessel Run challenges are out of the picture. And part of me wonders if this will lead to a domino effect for all rD races...

With the "hiatus" of DLR race weekends, I wonder how WDW race weekends might be impacted. I've already seen a good amount of people looking to cancel their PHM/SWDS registrations since now pink C2C and Kessel Run challenges are out of the picture. And part of me wonders if this will lead to a domino effect for all rD races...
It very well could.

I think the way they handled it upset some people as they held onto people's money for so long + people had made travel arrangements based on the announced dates. I'm glad we hadn't gotten airfare so we aren't out any money.

I am quite surprised at how many people I am seeing demand a refund for their WDW race because now they can't get C2C or Kessel...the races are still a great experience on their own without the extra bling! Wonder how rD will handle this, I suspect they won't be very sympathetic to their demands.

the races are still a great experience on their own without the extra bling!
Agreed. I wonder if it'll all balance out... some people canceling WDW races because they REALLY wanted CTC, but others registering for races in WDW because the DL ones went away... ...?

Did they finally cancel SWLS?
I was one of those people desperately waiting to sign up and then gave up last month.
I tried to go on the Run Disney page but it's down like every other page.

Did they finally cancel SWLS?
I was one of those people desperately waiting to sign up and then gave up last month.
I tried to go on the Run Disney page but it's down like every other page.
All California races are on indefinite hiatus and won’t return till at least 2019 if at all

All California races are on indefinite hiatus and won’t return till at least 2019 if at all

I'm optimistic that they'll be back eventually, however I could see them scaling back to 2 or 3 races per year instead of 4.

As for Dark Side, the one thing I was bummed about when I had done it this year was that Magic Kingdom wasn't involved at all. Is this normal for DW races?

I'm optimistic that they'll be back eventually, however I could see them scaling back to 2 or 3 races per year instead of 4.

As for Dark Side, the one thing I was bummed about when I had done it this year was that Magic Kingdom wasn't involved at all. Is this normal for DW races?
Princess half as well as the half and full during marathon weekend go into magic

It'll be interesting to see how the DLR race news shakes out at WDW. I tend to think it'll increase demand at WDW once the sting of how this was handled wears off. Not a huge increase; I don't see it going back to instant sellouts or anything, but for folks in the middle of the US who could go either direction for races, I'd think they might still do rD races at WDW.

WDW races try not to duplicate routes for all races - which is good for those who run all or most of them! So Jan and Princess halfs go through MK, but no AK or DHS, while W&D and DS skip MK in favor of AK and DHS.

Well...all but wine and Dine have been open for 2018 at WDW and I believe allot of them are sold out
All but the 10K are still open for Dark Side! PHM lasted longer than it used to a few years ago, but with an anniversary year, a sellout was expected. January marathon is still open. But I'm really thinking long term: DS 2018 and beyond. IDK what impact the canceled DLR races will have.

I've searched and can't seem to find what I need. I'm trying to find the photo pass or whatever is the best deal to buy for the races. I'm doing the challenge.

Thanks in advance for helping a RD rookie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter