Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

I think the medals look great. Sent the link to my sister who is running the virtual half, DS 10K and DS half with me and she loved them as well. I'm surprised to hear the negativity from some, actually! We did the inaugural DS, and we do love those, but these are truly unique and I think very well-designed.

I think the medals look great. Sent the link to my sister who is running the virtual half, DS 10K and DS half with me and she loved them as well. I'm surprised to hear the negativity from some, actually! We did the inaugural DS, and we do love those, but these are truly unique and I think very well-designed.

These are an improvement over last years without a doubt. The detail is really good.

Thanks for the link. The medals, however, will do nothing to entice me to sign up for the race weekend. It's all personal preference, but I found the inaugural weekend's medals to be fantastic! The TIE Fighter 10k is still one of my favorite medals and the Vader/Palpatine spinner was pretty nice, too! Last year's medals were OK, but uninspiring. These continue the downward trend. The 5k and 10k are especially bad.

I missed out on the TIE fighter medal and still hate myself for it, lol. These medals feel exactly like last year's to me. Except for the 10K which, while I like what they were going for, just looks like a blob. Maybe they'll look better in person... fingers crossed! Doesn't detract from the race though, which is what I care more about anyway. I'm still going to do some crazy costume and enjoy myself.

The only thing I really wish Disney would change about its races, is the bib size!!! It doesn't need to be so huge!

Funny thing is I've really liked all of the recent 10k medals for the SW races, sometimes more than the half. The BB-8 medal from the last light side was incredible and last year's dark side 10k was cool too (and similar to the half this year). I could do without Kylo and I preferred last year's Dark Side Challenge medal over the half medal.

I'm more tempted to do the virtual now so I guess Disney got me anyway.

I also don't love the 5K and 10K. Personally I thought last years were better but I think I'll still go. ;) I do like the half and challenge medals though!

I do think that the medals will be entirely focused on the sequel trilogy era this year especially with the First Order Challenge switchup. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing although I really hope for no stormtrooper medals.
Looks like I nailed the first part of this and missed on the last part. I'm not a huge fan of stormtroopers to begin with, but I will soon have 4 stormtrooper medals. This will be the 6th Star Wars race weekend overall and at least 5 by my quick count of the 5K/10K/Half medals have featured stormtroopers. By comparison, only 2 Darth Vader medals (spinner on the Inaugural Rebel Challenge) and 2 Kylo Ren medals. Vader and Ren are bigger characters than stormtroopers. Other popular characters have yet to even be acknowledge on the ribbon or the medal and yet it's another 2 stromtrooper medals. I understand the reasoning for Captain Phasma on the half.

Star Wars has so many great medal design possibilities. I hope they branch out beyond yet another stormtroooper variant. I also hope they eventually go back to mine the possibilities from the original trilogy that they haven't tapped such as the Imperial Guards, Star Destroyers, ships, bounty hunters, etc.

What do I think we're getting? Based on the race descriptions from the website, Prateorian Guard for the 10K, Captain Phasma for the Half, and some sort of Kylo Ren medal for the challenge. No idea on the 5K, although I could see BB-9E.
Perfect guess on this one albeit BB-9E for the kids races.

I'm iffy on them but I can't say why because of spoilers! But one of these medals is funny, knowing what happens in TLJ. I know they have to stick with the theme but I kinda hope they don't do the Dark Side thing next year so they have more flexibility with everything, including the medals.
I think I know what you're getting at. I suspect that the medal designs were more or less finalized before the movie came out.

The time has come and gone for spoilers. If you haven’t seen the movie by now then ohhwell.
I see what you're saying, but if you've seen the movie please be respectful of those who may not have gotten that chance yet and at least use spoiler tags. Now that said, if you haven't seen the movie, you are at risk looking in any Star Wars related discussion board on the internet especially by now.

You are not alone. :crazy2: I'm still running the races because in the end, I truly do not care about medals, but these are BAD. The Vader/Palpatine and TIE Fighter medals are the only non-marathon medals I've kept - love them! ♥
I started running because of the old Disneyland half medal. I loved it. While I have long since found greater benefit to running than just medals, I still hope for good designs. For me that finishers medal is a tangible reminder of the process, especially including the setbacks and unexpected challenges that come with training for each race. I'm still processing how I feel about these medals. There are things I like a lot and things that disappoint me. I would love a Vader medal in the same vein as the Kylo Ren challenge medal.

I also don't love the 5K and 10K. Personally I thought last years were better but I think I'll still go. ;) I do like the half and challenge medals though!
Compared to last year, it's very difficult to top the challenge medal with the Death Star especially in the 40th anniversary year of Star Wars.

I really love the race location at the top and race designation at the bottom of each medal. I also like the overall design idea they were going for.

My 2018 runDisney Star Wars Medal Rankings. Repeated medals not ranked. Keep in mind that the Kessel Run medal is my all time favorite runDisney medal. I even wore it at Disneyland during Superheroes race weekend because I wanted to wear it around Disneyland.

1. Star Wars Virtual Half Marathon

2. Kylo Ren (First Order Challenge)

3. Dark Side 10K

4. Dark Side 5K edges out the half by virtue of the side profile being different and the ribbon)

5. Dark Side Half

Thanks for the link. The medals, however, will do nothing to entice me to sign up for the race weekend. It's all personal preference, but I found the inaugural weekend's medals to be fantastic! The TIE Fighter 10k is still one of my favorite medals and the Vader/Palpatine spinner was pretty nice, too! Last year's medals were OK, but uninspiring. These continue the downward trend. The 5k and 10k are especially bad.
The Inaugural year were great. This year we have: 5k just another storm trooper, 10k-characters that didn't get much screen time and were unimpressive, half-time character that didn't do anything of importance AND is gone, challenge-he destroyed the helmet, so why have it?
I wish they would go back to classic star wars, rather than the newer movies.

I love that 10K medal and wish I was running that one.
I really love what they're going for with that 10K medal. The aesthetic design of the Praetorian Guards helmet looks very interesting to me. Hoping it looks better in person.

The Inaugural year were great. This year we have: 5k just another storm trooper, 10k-characters that didn't get much screen time and were unimpressive, half-time character that didn't do anything of importance AND is gone, challenge-he destroyed the helmet, so why have it?
I hate to disagree with anyone using the handle “poutine” :love:, but... this strikes me as overthinking medals. :duck:

I’m a huge SW fan (OT more than anything), but for a race medal I guess I just enjoy something unique and cool-looking. :)

The TIE Fighter 10k is still one of my favorite medals and the Vader/Palpatine spinner was pretty nice, too!
I agree about that 10k tie fighter!! I'm still having medal envy.

Can't wait to see them in person!!

If Disney allows race slot transfers I might be able to help you out with that. My sister got pregnant and is due in April so my party of 3 is now a party of me.

On that note... anyone else out there running solo? I'm not excited about the prospect. I don't mind racing by myself, but it sucks not having people to enjoy the parks with or whatever. :(
Yes - thanks for thinking of it but no transfers. I think Disney would be a good solo trip - so many things to do and you can be on your own schedule.

I think we're a few years away from that happening. At least until after they finish the sequel trilogy. Maybe the 2021 races at the earliest.

Or is she?
In universe, her armor is made from an old Naboo shuttle belonging to Palpatine. We've already seen it deflect a blaster bolt in The Last Jedi. It's clearly stronger than the usual stormtrooper armor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter