Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

Well not officially of course but if I go C2C this would be the race I do.

There's still time to join us at DLH this year for the anniversary C2C medal! No need to wait til next year. I hear Mike, Sulley, Woody and Buzz calling your name...

There's still time to join us at DLH this year for the anniversary C2C medal! No need to wait til next year. I hear Mike, Sulley, Woody and Buzz calling your name...
So tempting but I am not sure I can afford it this year.

So...Dark Side 2018 registration is in a few weeks. Hopefully this will be released before, or perhaps in conjunction, to it. It would be nice to register for both at once...except for my wallet. Sorry wallet, but sometimes you gotta take one for the team.

So...Dark Side 2018 registration is in a few weeks. Hopefully this will be released before, or perhaps in conjunction, to it. It would be nice to register for both at once...except for my wallet. Sorry wallet, but sometimes you gotta take one for the team.

What do you think the odds are of that actually happening?
I really want to do the Kessler Run. That's the only reason I was going to run Darkside. It seems silly for me to sign up for Darkside if the light side may not happen. Disney is making this so frustrating! Why can't they just provide information about what's going on?!?!

(Thank you for letting me vent.)

Last edited:
I really want to do the Kessler Run. That's the only reason I was going to run Darkside. It seems silly for me to sign up for Darkside if the light side may not happen. Disney is making this so frustrating! Why can't they just provide information about what's going on?!?!

(Thank for you for letting me vent.)
Vent away. It would cost them nothing to provide an update on why registration is delayed or when they hope to open it.

(Thank for you for letting me vent.)

To be fair, according to runDisney there will be a Light Side race on January 11-14, 2018. They have stated only that registration has been delayed and information will be forthcoming about early and regular registration dates. There has been nothing from runDisney stating or implying that there will not be a race or that there will be a significant theme change (no, Rebel vs Resistance is not a significant change). All of the paranoia about the race being cancelled, moved or the theme changed has been pure speculation on the part of online rumor mongers and agitators. To be fair to RunDisney there are things that have to move at their own pace behind closed doors in any corporate environment. I'm sure they will let us know when they have information to be released.

To be fair, according to runDisney there will be a Light Side race on January 11-14, 2018. They have stated only that registration has been delayed and information will be forthcoming about early and regular registration dates. There has been nothing from runDisney stating or implying that there will not be a race or that there will be a significant theme change (no, Rebel vs Resistance is not a significant change). All of the paranoia about the race being cancelled, moved or the theme changed has been pure speculation on the part of online rumor mongers and agitators. To be fair to RunDisney there are things that have to move at their own pace behind closed doors in any corporate environment. I'm sure they will let us know when they have information to be released.
Thank you. I understand that people are anxious for more information. I get that they want more information. I'm curious to see when they open up registration also. But if they were going to change the theme altogether to something that is not Star Wars, I think they would have announced it already.

Another comment about online rumor mongers and agitators. A few short weeks ago, they were spreading the word that Dark Side would be cancelled in 2018 because it wasn't sold out for 2017. And then the corral numbers were released and it became extremely obvious that Dark Side remains very popular. Now that there is still no word about when Light Side opens up for registration, those who hate the Star Wars theme have focused their attention on Light Side even though a few short weeks ago there was not even a peep about Light Side being cancelled. The 2015, 2016, and 2017 Star Wars Light Side races went on sale in June the year before. Disney has held a half marathon event on this very weekend since 2012. They will get whatever is going on cleared up.

Anyone who wants to make the 2018 Kessel Run should sign up for Dark Side. In some ways, I enjoyed Dark Side weekend more than Light Side weekend and I will defend the great events that make up runDisney events at Disneyland. Dark Side was a great Star Wars runDisney experience.

I really want to do the Kessler Run. That's the only reason I was going to run Darkside.

Do you want to do the challenge, or something called the Kessel Run? They've already changed the name of the Anaheim Challenge. They flat out changed Princess's challenge name, too. I wouldn't be overly surprised if they changed the name of the bicoastal challenge as well. So if it's the NAME, I personally would wonder. If it's just the bicoastal challenge I wouldn't worry.

There has been nothing from runDisney stating or implying that there will not be a race or that there will be a significant theme change (no, Rebel vs Resistance is not a significant change).

Huh. I think it's a significant enough change to wonder what else they'll do, especially given the Glass Slipper-to-FairyTale Challenge change. (and still calling it an anniversary year LOL...no Disney, that's not how anniversaries of events work, IMO). If the name was important to me I'd wonder.

Do you want to do the challenge, or something called the Kessel Run? They've already changed the name of the Anaheim Challenge. They flat out changed Princess's challenge name, too. I wouldn't be overly surprised if they changed the name of the bicoastal challenge as well. So if it's the NAME, I personally would wonder. If it's just the bicoastal challenge I wouldn't worry.

Huh. I think it's a significant enough change to wonder what else they'll do, especially given the Glass Slipper-to-FairyTale Challenge change. (and still calling it an anniversary year LOL...no Disney, that's not how anniversaries of events work, IMO). If the name was important to me I'd wonder.
I don't see the challenge names in question as significant because they still fit perfectly within the themes of their respective race weekends. Dumbo Double Dare to Disneyland Double Dare is a different story.

For a variety of reasons, I don't see the Kessel Run Challenge name or medal changing for a while yet because it's still new and because the Millennium Falcon is perfect for a Star Wars themed coast to coast challenge.

As long as there's a Millennium Falcon medal SOMEWHERE, I'm okay with a name change.
Whenever I visit the parks after a race, I always get a lot of compliments about whatever medal I'm wearing especially from non runners who are curious about what it entails. I can think of two medals that really got a reaction from other guests. The inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon medal themed to the Medal of Bravery that Leia gave Luke and Han in Star Wars and the Kessel Run Millennium Falcon medal. I don't see the medal changing much until the 6th anniversary year and even then I doubt it will change much. It's almost too iconic. Plus where it's a coast to coast medal, it's more difficult for runners to earn. The regular Coast to Coast medal has seen very little change until this 10th anniversary and even now it's still extremely similar.

I'm glad the registration has been postponed. I'm going my first runDisney event with the Tinkerbell 10K in May and I'd love to experience it first to decide whether I want to make the investment to do it again. It's probably wishful thinking they'll postpone registration for that long though.
Wow, didn't think I'd luck out that the registration wouldn't open until after Tink and I'm glad I was wrong! My DD and I had such a great time with the Tink 10K and when I was telling DH about it all he said he wanted to do this one. January is the last month our DL APs are valid so it would be a fun last hurrah. Will keep watching this thread for registration news!

I'm guessing they're gonna push it back to June again, how it used to be. Fingers crossed!
You're guess is looking pretty good so far!

Now I'm just hoping registration opens before the 7 month DVC window when I planned to try and snag a room at GCV!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter