Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

It'll be a kick in the pants if Disney sat for nearly a year on this info if the plan was to simply cancel all races next year all along. That info should have been given out much much earlier.

It'll be a kick in the pants if Disney sat for nearly a year on this info if the plan was to simply cancel all races next year all along. That info should have been given out much much earlier.
This! What angers me is that they've been holding on to our money for as long as possible--basically gives them an interest free loan for 9 months. Someone in one of the Facebook groups posted an email response from Disney saying that there would be refunds if the race is cancelled. Much different response than disyoda received a while back. I think they tried to offer her a partial refund. What a joke! I'm also po'd that I signed up for princess to get my pink coast to coast. Some people have written rundisney requesting that those who did tink in 2017 be eligible for pink c2c if they do 2018 princess. Hope they allow that.

This! What angers me is that they've been holding on to our money for as long as possible--basically gives them an interest free loan for 9 months. Someone in one of the Facebook groups posted an email response from Disney saying that there would be refunds if the race is cancelled. Much different response than disyoda received a while back. I think they tried to offer her a partial refund. What a joke! I'm also po'd that I signed up for princess to get my pink coast to coast. Some people have written rundisney requesting that those who did tink in 2017 be eligible for pink c2c if they do 2018 princess. Hope they allow that.

I was going to say, people plan c2c, kessel run etc... I know I personally renewed my AP out at DL because I planned on running the light side again and it made sense. It was on the schedule and wasn't on hold when I did so. That's unfortunate for me. If this ends up being true, it'll be one the biggest mishaps by the Disney Company in a long long time.

Not surprising at all if they cancel it. I'm only disappointed in DL waiting so long to announce anything. I was cautious of it actually happening and haven't made hotel or airfare plans yet. With 87 days to go for the event, there's no way I would think they would have this happen in January. I'm just sad that if this is true, no Coast-to-Coast/Kessel Run, etc for a long time.

I'm also a little annoyed that I didn't register for WDW Marathon weekend. I've been thinking I'd do it maybe in 2019, but I could have done it in 2018 had I not already been committed to run Light Side (I got to register earlier this year). I'll definitely be planning to do Marathon weekend in 2019

I'll be disappointed if they actually use "construction" as the excuse ... thats the biggest load of bull. you can't make the course run around the construction obstacles? really? then why not close the parks since obviously guests can't make it around the parks either. total lie by Disney.

I'll be disappointed if they actually use "construction" as the excuse ... thats the biggest load of bull. you can't make the course run around the construction obstacles? really? then why not close the parks since obviously guests can't make it around the parks either. total lie by Disney.

100% my thoughts.

If true, it would be so obviously an excuse to cover for whatever the real reason is. If it really were construction, they could have announced it a long time ago. That's the kind of decision that would have already been made and they already announced LS and Tink 2018 dates (not to mention the registrations that were already taken for LS) last year.

If the rumor is true, I don't buy the rumored reason for it. Especially with how close we are to LS's scheduled weekend at this point.

I was going to say, people plan c2c, kessel run etc... I know I personally renewed my AP out at DL because I planned on running the light side again and it made sense. It was on the schedule and wasn't on hold when I did so. That's unfortunate for me. If this ends up being true, it'll be one the biggest mishaps by the Disney Company in a long long time.
I'm in the same boat. Not only did we purchase a pass based on the pre-announced 2018 LS and Tink dates, we also bought more DVC points at VCG because we were using so many points for races. We go a lot anyway so I don't regret, but I might not have done it without my newly discovered joy of Disneyland Half Marathons.

I don't buy it either, but whatever. We know there are other issues that might be contributing to this. Would rather just have a final decision at this point so people can move on.

I'm also a little annoyed that I didn't register for WDW Marathon weekend. I've been thinking I'd do it maybe in 2019, but I could have done it in 2018 had I not already been committed to run Light Side (I got to register earlier this year). I'll definitely be planning to do Marathon weekend in 2019
I wonder if you could call to have your registration transferred and say that you want to transfer it bc you dont know if its going to happen or not. Their lack of urgency of communicating, especially for those who have paid, is inexcusable! You should be reimbursed plus interest for them sitting on your money (I know they wont but still)

I wonder if you could call to have your registration transferred and say that you want to transfer it bc you dont know if its going to happen or not.
I'm sure Disney would love to keep your money. Therefore it wouldn't surprise me if they allowed you to transfer to another rD event (even Super Heroes next month, since registration is STILL open for that one).

I wonder if you could call to have your registration transferred and say that you want to transfer it bc you dont know if its going to happen or not. Their lack of urgency of communicating, especially for those who have paid, is inexcusable! You should be reimbursed plus interest for them sitting on your money (I know they wont but still)

I could actually transfer it to the Marathon since I'm planning on being in Florida that week, but I honestly am not in training mode for a full. I'll be fine to wait a year and see how it goes. I'd rather attempt Dopey and be in training for it in 2019.

100% my thoughts.

If true, it would be so obviously an excuse to cover for whatever the real reason is. If it really were construction, they could have announced it a long time ago. That's the kind of decision that would have already been made and they already announced LS and Tink 2018 dates (not to mention the registrations that were already taken for LS) last year.

If the rumor is true, I don't buy the rumored reason for it. Especially with how close we are to LS's scheduled weekend at this point.

Is anyone amazed at how Disney has managed to keep the lid on this secret? It's a HUGE company, and yet the "real" reason hasn't been leaked. Unbelievable!

Totally agree. Hard to believe it could be kept under-wraps for so long otherwise.
Which leads me to think it's either financial or pending legal something (like a purchase of something they have to keep quiet about). Disney's not exactly going to be like "we're debating on whether we make enough money off your $1000s race registrations (given that sometimes multiple family members run multiple races)." People would flip. But even with parks making lots of money, disney is dealing with some business issues they are trying to sort out. I'm such a nerd- I would love to see the cost and profit projections for run Disney.

Or they actually ARE still trying to have 2018 races. Because we all know they would be using the "last chance" to run in DL to sell avengers if they knew. Or any race weekend. (Like even if it's not light side) like they did with Osborne lights. Makes me think they actually DONT know yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!