*******Official August 2017 Countdown Thread ~ Feeling hot, hot, hot!!!******

Well, how quickly it went. We are in our last park day which will be an evening at Magic Kingdom. It's been a great trip. It was good to break through and get back. After 4 annual trips frim 2010 to 2014, life intervened. I am already thinking on 2018.

This year we tried the midday break method the first 2 days. Evenings ended up being mother/son dates as my daughter opted to stay behind. First day we returned to MK for a couple of hours. The 2nd day we did DHS that morning then that evening spent 3 amazing hours closing down Blizzard Beach Water Park.

I got a deal on a ticket that had one free Water Park entry after 2pm. I had wanted to try one so this was a great opportunity. We were sad dd missed it but I got enough out of it that I would do it again. Just hope for a longer trip next time so there is time to do it alone instead of after going to a park that morning.

Today, going to do laundry and a bit of pool time between 10:30 and 1 then rest up for MK. Hoping to go from 4:00 and make it to Happily Ever After.

Was great planning along with everyone. I hope to go at a cooler time next year but I would be open to August again. Hope everyone still yet to go has a great time.

This year we tried the midday break method the first 2 days.
We tried this on our first Aug. trip in 2014 and found it wasn't for us - we got back to the room and everyone was like, what now? After the first day nobody wanted to swim, and nobody wanted to rest at all. So the last 2 Augusts we skipped the mid-day break but returned to it on our trip a couple weeks ago because at my boys' ages I knew they wouldn't stay all day and night in the parks. While some days I was wishing we were at the parks, the breaks worked out nicely. One day instead of going back to the resort we went to Splitsville, so still a park break and relaxing but not sitting at resort.

Was great planning along with everyone. I hope to go at a cooler time next year but I would be open to August again. Hope everyone still yet to go has a great time.
Ha! Every Aug. we're there I say, "last time! too hot!" and then as soon as we're home I say I'll do it again :P It's like having a baby; you forget the pain when it's over and don't remember it until you're doing it again!

Our next trip is Nov. and while I know it can still be warm in the beginning of the month when we're going, our later Nov. trips have been perfect weather. Regardless we shouldn't be melting like we did this month!

We tried this on our first Aug. trip in 2014 and found it wasn't for us - we got back to the room and everyone was like, what now? After the first day nobody wanted to swim, and nobody wanted to rest at all. So the last 2 Augusts we skipped the mid-day break but returned to it on our trip a couple weeks ago because at my boys' ages I knew they wouldn't stay all day and night in the parks. While some days I was wishing we were at the parks, the breaks worked out nicely. One day instead of going back to the resort we went to Splitsville, so still a park break and relaxing but not sitting at resort.

Ha! Every Aug. we're there I say, "last time! too hot!" and then as soon as we're home I say I'll do it again :P It's like having a baby; you forget the pain when it's over and don't remember it until you're doing it again!

Our next trip is Nov. and while I know it can still be warm in the beginning of the month when we're going, our later Nov. trips have been perfect weather. Regardless we shouldn't be melting like we did this month!

The midday break doesn't really work for us either mainly because my daughter is not good for going back out. Like you though I knew we would not last all day and evening. The heat plus it was my son's first trip without a stroller. Fortunately she is now old enough to opt for staying behind. Usually our trips are longer so we can do either the first part of the day or the evening and repeat 2 of the 4 parks. We skipped AK this trip in order to repeat MK.

Hoping to book at least a 7 day trip for 2018 if my job search goes well.

And I'm back. :sad1: It was a great trip staying at the Disney Resorts was wonderful we got to do all the things we wanted and more. The kids had a wonderful time. My DD is already looking to come back but wants to leave her brothers at home. :)

I only had one complaint which was my dinner at Rainforest Cafe I made a ADR arrived 20 minutes early but wasn't seated for close to 30 minutes after my scheduled time. If I hadn't budgeted for the dinner (with Landry points and a giftcard) I would have eaten elsewhere as they nearly made us miss our Fast pass for River of Lights at AK. That said once our food arrived I asked for the check then and there ate and ran just made it to Asia for our seating. So won't be doing that again.:sad2:

I am in love with PORR it was amazing to stay there in the Royal Suites, we didn't want to leave. While I didn't get my corner room our room was great and located with a great view not too far from our parking. We did like the food at PORF better though. Our Stay at Pop was also nice since I added it last min and while it doesn't have to charm of PORR it was still a nice view from our room in the 50s to the lake, the theme was fun and everything seemed centrally located we even used Disney Transportation one day to go to DHS for a few hours on our last park day yesterday worked out way better then driving in. The only issue I had was my room wasn't ready until 4:30p.

I loved having my AP for this trip (even got my slide :yay:) and going for the EMH was amazing we took advantage of each one the day we were there except the last day since we were in Pandora for the last night of the extended hours on the 19th and waited an hour to ride Flight of Passage (which was amazing and well worth the short 1 hour wait compared to the rest of the days waiting queue) and the kids (and I truthfully) were to exhausted to get up.

Best part is I will be back in a month. I am looking to plan a trip with the kids again for next year after Toy Story land hopefully opens up.

Last edited:
Love hearing everyone's reports!
While we really enjoyed our August trip-we did do midday breaks this trip-I prefer our usual early June trips as August is meltingly hot lol. One morning we scrapped the early MK (and BoG lunch) as my son woke up very congested at 3am and didn't feel well. Instead we spent the morning by the pool, then to Studios for the evening-turned out to be a very lovely day. It was a much different trip as we weren't frantic to get everything in knowing we'd be back. And as we got AP's DH has agreed to another trip for next summer (pushing for late may/eary June!).

So I have a TP reservation finder hoping for BoG in November-likely a very long shot!

Day 2 over for us. Recap so far:

Day 1 - had 8:05 am BoG. Done eating by 8:30, Dd and I shared Gastons feast, it was plenty for us. We walked back and forth between Pooh and PPF to see if we could get on one before 9:00 park opening (EMM event day), but we couldnt. We lined up for PPF and they let us on right at 8:59, so before the rope drop crowd at least. Then straight to Pooh, had about a 10 min. Wait by then. But, done with both by 9:30 so was happy about that. Back to POR by 1:00. Swam/rested for a couple hours. Back to MK for 5:00 BoG ressie. Got the strip steak. Just ok. Seemed better in the past. We finally got seated in the west wing tho (both breakfast and dinner). Sprinkled a bit this evening for about an hour. Not hard enough for the ponchos, just used an umbrella. Left the park about 8:45..

Crowds this day very manageable. There did seem to be a lot of ppl in the parks, but the longest line we waited in was the 10 min. At Pooh (was Probly more like 5).
We didn't do any of the headliners tho like 7Dmt or the mountains.

The heat is tough for both DD and I. Esp. DD. Not a fan. We could not have gone without the midday break. By 11:00 am it was/is unbearable for us.

Will post day 2 in next post.

Day 2:. Epcot. Arrived for rope drop. Headed right to Soarin (no fP). 10 min. Wait (probably a bit less in reality). Did living with the land, figment X2, Nemo, spaceship earth. Heat unbearable by 11 for us. Back to POr. Rest/nap til 4:00. Took a Lyft to beach club then walked to the world showcase for the evening. Dinner at rose and crown, got the burger. Good. Was still very hot for us the first couple hours. DD got the passport book. We ended up spending an hour in Japan picking our pearls, getting rings made so she didn't get to complete passport. Rode frozen (had FP, had 90 min.wait posted at 7:30 pm). NO rain at all today or tonight!
Heat was tough for us today/tonight.
Left by Lyft right as illuminations was starting.

Today, day 3 - swimming in the morn, will head to HS this afternoon. We have a H&V res @ 5:00.

POr -. We like it. LOve the Royal room. Pool is fun. Food court has been nightmarishly crowded every time. But, they could have 8 cashier's on and they have only had 3-4 so far. Annoying. And the CMs at the food counters are SO. SLOw. They seriously could not move any slower if they tried. Kind of pisses me off.
Caribbean is by far still my favorite Mod, although I haven't stayed at FQ. I would not choose POR or Coronado again though. Mainly due to the resort layout.

The day after tomorrow I'll be in Magic Kingdom and that is really a beautiful thing.

Housework is all done, packed up and labeled the dogs food for the boarding facility (I told them I was packing for their vacation too)

work today, nails tonight and really need to get school supplies labeled since tomorrow is locker day - probably going to pack finally.

work tomorrow - have to check in southwest so we hopefully get A boarding. Going to get a spray tan and drop the dogs off at their daycare (hopefully I dont cry and smear my spray tan lol) I always cry it never fails, I always feel like I'm ditching them in a kennel or something ugh.

Thursday our flight leaves Buffalo airport at 6:30

I checked in to SW at exactly 24 hrs. And we were C25 boarding.....usually I get high B. I think so many ppl pay the extra now for EB check-in that there's really no chance to get A boarding unless you pay

I checked in to SW at exactly 24 hrs. And we were C25 boarding.....usually I get high B. I think so many ppl pay the extra now for EB check-in that there's really no chance to get A boarding unless you pay
Dang.... I have my alarm set to get up tomorrow morning to check in for our flight. We usually get high B too.

Day 3:. Swam at POR this morn, then went over to FQ to swim/eat lunch. I think I like FQ better, although the pool at Riverside is better.

Got to HS around 3:00. Dinner at H&V which was really good. I always like the food there. I mostly had shrimp Mac & cheese, shrimp cocktail, and fried shrimp. Also some rare roast beef, and lots of different salads. It was all good.
Now we r waiting for Fantasmic to start. We have perfect seats - about 7-8th row, dead center. There's a nice breeze too. Can't believe it still hasn't rained except that quick shower on my first night. I've been expecting to be washed out all week!! (Hopefully didnt just Curse myself). Last couple times I watched F! It rained the entire time (but was hot). It was miserable.
Anywho, didn't do too many attractions here at HS, just TSM, Little mermaid and the frozen show. Then, lots of photopass pics.
Hoping to go for a swim when we get back to POR. Not sure if the pools close at 10 or later.

We are back home in our own beds. This was a really great trip. Didn't go in focused on getting a whole lot done and wore my flexible mommy hat for the most part. I knew the August heat combined with a shorter trip combined with no stroller meant things needed to change.

We used our fans and mister a lot. We took more breaks. We went to MK in the first day, got there just after opening and did our favorites in Fantasy Land (Tea Cups, IASW, Philharmagic, and Under the Sea. And Tomorrow Land (CoP, Buzz Lightyear, People Mover, Laughing Floor). In between we had a great lunch at Columbia Harbor House.

After a break, pool time and dinner at the resort, ds and I returned to MK and did Dumbo, some shopping and 7 Dwarves Mine Train. We had a Fast Pass for Peter Pan but ds said he was tired 35 minutes before it would activate. We had an early morning coming so we headed back.

Saturday we hit DHS shortly after opening. Headed straight to TSMM. The plan was to ride standby then use the fast pass we had for later to get 2 rides in. Worked out great. First ride we waited maybe 10 minutes. Went off and saw the Little Mermaid show and did a meet and greet with BB8 then headed back to use our fast passes.

After that we saw Muppet Vision 3D, had lunch at the pizza place and used our fast passes for Star Tours. We took ds to see Disney Junior Live on Stage and saw the Storm Troopers march through before leaving.

After a break in the room, ds and I headed out again. This time to Blizzard Beach. Got there at 4 and thanks to me misreading the hours (thinking they closed at 8), we closed the place. Got right off the Country Creek and had to hand over our tubes. We were far from alone so once we collected everything from our locker, we dried off, changed into the clothes I had packed, dropped off our rented towels and headed for the bus stop. Still beat some folks to the exit who didn't change clothes.

We loved Blizzard Beach. Only negative was waiting over 30 minutes for a bus back to Sports. I will read more carefully next time but I was glad we chose that day. Every other day of our they closed at 6. Plus the weather was amazing. We got off the bus and hit the food court and took dinner to the room.

More later

Last edited:
We have a pass to either water park this trip. I didn't budget time, but I did plan on going back to the room for mid-day breaks. For those who have been to the water parks, especially in August, do you think it's worth fitting it in? DH is not a water park fan and my kids are 7 and almost 3.

We have a pass to either water park this trip. I didn't budget time, but I did plan on going back to the room for mid-day breaks. For those who have been to the water parks, especially in August, do you think it's worth fitting it in? DH is not a water park fan and my kids are 7 and almost 3.

We had a pass to a water park this trip. I found a park ticket with a free water park pass attached that became active after 2pm. So it was no loss if we didn’t fit it in. I would say check the hours because they do vary. My son is 7. He and I went to Blizzard Beach and had a wonderful time. They do have great kids’ areas there for the ones under 48 inches. My son is 48.5 inches tall and he wanted to do the wave pool so we spent a lot of time there. And we did the Lazy River twice, which is I believe called Cross Country Creek. They had single tubes, double tubes and child size tubes. The child size ones had a seat in them. Just a couple of slides outside the kiddie area he was tall enough for. There is also a nice section of the wave pool that remains calm which I really liked.

Towels are $2 each to rent. Lockers are $10 for standard and $15 for a large. The standard ones were sold out when we got there so I had to get a large. The changing room was spacious. We were changing at closing time and I didn’t have trouble finding one. I had big ziplock bags to put the wet stuff in. We loved it. I hope to do it again next trip.

Tomorrow Tomorrow I love ya tomorrow You're only a day awwwwaayyyyy

Last night, packed, got disney nails done.

Today Checked into southwest at 6:35 AM and got A boarding :yay::yay: yeah baby! that never happens! I can already feel the Disney magic. This time tomorrow we'll be about an hour away from Orlando.

Tonight - hubby's jobs - take dogs to boarding, vacuum all the dog hair out of the back of my truck, take garbage out, stop at bank and get cash
my jobs - spray tan, finish the last load of laundry, try to not sweat or cry and ruin my fake tan.

Hoping to get to bed early (but I know I wont sleep anyways) and be up at 3:30, shower, pack the toiletries I need to use tomorrow,get the kids and husband up, be off to the airport by 4:45AM

As to the rest of our trip...

Day 3 we went to Epcot. This was our short day. We had 9:30 fast passes for Soarin’. Dd didn’t want to ride it so she slept in a bit and joined us later. It was her first time being old enough to do it. She texted me at each step. She said she enjoyed it. This was my son’s year to do a few rides with a height requirement. In the 3 years since our last trip he had grown 10 inches (from 38 to 48). He didn’t even get measured. This was my first time riding rides with a height requirement because traveling as a solo parent before I could not do anything all 3 of us could not do. His opinion of the rides he did was consistent. “Yes, it was great! No, I don’t want to do it again.” Hoping by the next trip, he will want to at least do Soarin’ and Star Tours again. I loved those myself. I’m good if I don’t get on Mine Train again. We skipped AK this trip; but I am hoping next trip we can at least do Kali River Rapids.

After Soarin’ we did the Nemo ride, met up with dd and looked around the aquarium, did Turtle Talk with Crush and walked around to some of the exhibits. Then we had lunch at Electric Umbrella and used a fast pass for Living with the Land. Walked around some more just looking around. Epcot is just very pretty. We then did Journey into Imagination with Figment out of curiosity. We headed out after that. Didn’t want to go to World Showcase this trip because we felt it would be rushed. This would be the one day rain would interfere with our plans. We had an afternoon at the pool planned; but by the time we got a little rest and planned to go out, storms came in. But we had pool time planned for the next day.

Day 4 was our final park day. I wanted to be sure to see Happily Ever After; so I set up all of our fast passes for after 4pm. We slept in. Once the kids were ready for the pool, I gathered the dirty clothes so I could do laundry. The time washing and drying turned out to be plenty of time in the pool for the kids. They were ready for lunch before the drying cycle ended; so I sent them back to dry off and change and went to the food court. I took them their food and went back to grab the laundry. I tossed the clean clothes into the 2 laundry bags then went to the food court to get lunch for myself. I was in line to pay preparing for the walk back carrying my food and the bags when the sky opened up; so I grabbed a bottled water to have with my lunch and texted dd I was eating there. It had stopped by the time I finished my lunch. I went back to the room, folded the laundry, did some packing and we headed to MK. Rain had all day been predicted for 4pm. I was hoping that downpour at 2 was a good sign.

And it was. It was hot of course; but it was a perfect evening at Magic Kingdom. When we arrived, my daughter was a bit unsettled with the heat so we repeated our favorite: Philharmagic. Then we headed for Adventure Land. We had a 4:05 fast pass for Jungle Cruise. We still had a few minutes though so we did the Flying Carpet ride and it was hilarious. When they were younger, my daughter was the driver and she took pleasure in the look ds would get when the carpet would go up and down. He didn’t get upset; but you could tell he was like “What the heck?” Let’s just say he got his revenge this trip. Headed to Jungle Cruise after that. Had a great Skipper who made those jokes actually funny.

We took a break after that to enjoy a Frozen Lemonade. I got 2 for the 3 of us and that was plenty. After that it was fast passes for Winnie the Pooh then some time in Tomorrow Land repeating our favorites (CoP and People Mover). Kids opted not to repeat Buzz Lightyear, which was our 3rd fast pass. So I switched it to Under the Sea. They wanted to ride IASW one more time so we did and here is where we had our one bump in the road. After IASW, it was getting close to 8. I had planned to be done by 7:30; but we had a few detours. I put the kids in a spot for the evening show, then went to get dinner hoping we could eat while waiting.

Almost everything that could go wrong went wrong. I went to Star Light Café. One Bay was closed so everyone was at Bays 2 and 3. I found what looked like a short line (short on both sides); but it moved really slowly. After waiting 10 minutes in line to get to the cashier, the lady in front of me in line had to wait 10 minutes for someone to come and process her order due to an allergy. The poor cashier holding up that sign I know her arm was hurting by the time someone came. After ordering it took another 10 minutes to get the food. So about 35 minutes after being 4th in line. By the time I got back it was dark and I had to text dd to help me find them. Not 5 minutes after I got back, they had everyone stand up for the show. We managed to eat enough to get full though. I put all of our trash in the bag I had the food in and gave ds his headphones. Happily Ever After was really amazing. The spot we had gave us a great view because we were on the curb. The road was kept clear for people walking so ds could see perfectly standing on the ground.

We then made our way out of the park with several thousand of our closest friends. Just stopped for a couple of minutes after we were out because the Electric Water Pageant was passing. Thankfully there were 2 busses for Sports when we got to the stop. We got on the 2nd one. It was nice to stay for fireworks at MK and be back at the resort by 10. I decided to just buy ponchos if/when we needed them and this was our first trip not needing them at all. It rained 3 times while we were there and we were at the resort every time.

The next day we slept a little later. I got up, gave everyone breakfast from our groceries as usual (bagels for dd and me, cereal for ds) and finished packing. I opened our door and our boarding passes were there; so I took the suitcases down for Airline check-in, a service I treasure with my whole heart. For our flight in I checked in at 24 hours. We had B24-26. I did early bird check-in for the return just so I don’t have to stop and check in while we are in the park and we had A27-29. We left our carry-on bags with guest services and spent some time in the arcade. We then had our last lunch in the food court. After that, I kept a promise to ds to do a little shopping. There was a little car he wanted. I picked up a 2017 magnet and by that time, it was time to get our carry-ons and go to the bus stop.

We were again delayed about 30 minutes and had to change gates; but other than that, the trip home was uneventful. Back at work now and jumping right into final preparations for the kids to go to school on Monday. Ready to plan for next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!