Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

@Cluelyss Thank you for posting this! So, was it just regular buttercream and cake then? (That's what it appears to be) Someone earlier thought it might be more like Amorette's that had some different ganache things, etc. If it's more like just regular cake, this would be perfect for us! But I'm not sure everyone could handle that much chocolate, we might have to do the vanilla! So glad to see a first hand experience!
Yes, just regular cake and buttercream inside (though a bit thicker than regular buttercream, so may have had some ganache added?). But the outsider layer was more fudgey.

IMG_9148.JPG IMG_9150.JPG IMG_9144.JPG IMG_9132.JPG
I wanted to update now that we have returned from our trip. We had dinner reservations on June 6th at 1900 PF. I had every intention of following up the week before, to make sure we were on track, but I just never made time to do it. The day of, I just crossed my fingers that the cake and slipper would be there. They were.

The total was about $90 but that included the cake and the chocolate slipper dessert. My husband's cake was chocolate with chocolate ganache and peanut butter buttercream filling. It tasted so good! He thought it was one of the best tasting cakes he has ever had, and he loves some cake. And it looked terrific. I think is was a 6" but I honestly can't remember.

We ate it for several days before it was all gone.

The stepsisters had great fun with my daughter and her special dessert.

It was a 100% terrific experience and something I would definitely do in the future.

My husband's cake was chocolate with chocolate ganache and peanut butter buttercream filling. It tasted so good! He thought it was one of the best tasting cakes he has ever had, and he loves some cake. And it looked terrific. I think is was a 6" but I honestly can't remember.

Thanks for sharing photos! I'm thrilled that Grand Floridian Private Dining let you get peanut butter buttercream frosting with chocolate ganache as a filling!

I posted a couple weeks ago about my cake ordering experience. It was a surprise for my husband at 1900 Park Fare. I wasn't given a lot of flavor options, so I went with vanilla cake with almond flavoring (not sure if or how this is different from almond cake, but it was what was offered when I asked for that) with white chocolate mousse filling, vanilla buttercream, and fondant. I managed to flag down our server while hubby was at the buffet and let her know that I'd ordered a cake, it was a surprise, and I had a figure to go on top. I asked if I could give it to her to handle and she said yes and smuggled it into her apron (which was actually kind of funny because Loki's helmet fell off in the process and she was scrambling to grab it as hubby came back to the table and I was trying to keep a straight face). Fortunately he didn't notice any of this. Then later when he said he was going up for dessert, I flagged her again and told her we were ready for it. She said she'd seen it in the back and it looked great. Hubby was very surprised and quite impressed (which is saying a lot!). Later when I told him about how they didn't have anything Loki and I told them to just go with the colors, he said it looked like someone who really knew the character did it. I was glad I went with the swirls on the sides that Pat suggested, and the gold they used was really nice. I don't think it was the edible real gold, as I declined that due to cost, but it looked a lot nicer than the golden yellow I figured we'd get. The cake was yummy; even the fondant was pretty good, and I know fondant typically isn't very tasty. We got a 6" and it was enough for 2 adults and 3 kids at dinner with some leftovers that we ate a couple days later.

Loki cake.jpg

I totally forgot to ever come here and post about the birthday cake we had for my daughter's 3rd birthday. It was made by the Grand Floridian and delivered to Ohana. It was a white cake with chocolate filling. I think it was around $120. We got a 10" and there were 8 of us. It was waaaayyyy more than enough cake. I would get a smaller one next time for sure!IMG_0455.JPG IMG_0456.JPG IMG_0457.JPG

For those of y'all who have ordered cakes and added personal items like figurines or toppers ... when did you do it? Or were you able to drop them at the restaurant and have them do it?

I'm organizing a big celebration dinner after the Marathon in January and this time, I'd like to have a cake feature the replica medal pins from the weekend ... just trying to figure out the best way to make this work.

It may be too much money, but you could possibly order a set of the replica medal pins that they have and have them put on the cake before it comes to the table.

It may be too much money, but you could possibly order a set of the replica medal pins that they have and have them put on the cake before it comes to the table.

The Expo opens on Wednesday, so my plan was to buy them there and see if I could drop them off the same day to be placed on the cake! Here's hoping!!

Are custom cakes or the new mickey head cake available in Mexico at San Angel? Or are they just plain grocery store type cakes that are available?

A huge thanks to everyone on this thread and especially @lurkyloo ! We had dinner at California Grill last week for my daughter's 10th birthday. Thanks to all the great information on this thread, we had the sweetest Tinkerbell themed cake. Brian at the Cont bakery was fantastic to work with. He responded to my emails VERY quickly, and they even accommodated a very last minute change.

I ordered a two tiered mini cake, Tinkerbell themed with chocolate cake and chocolate filling. It was $35 and delicious. I sent a picture that lurkyloo posted here as inspiration. The cake was ADORABLE and even better than the below picture shows.

Thanks again!

TinkCake1.jpg

TinkCake2.jpg

A huge thanks to everyone on this thread and especially @lurkyloo ! We had dinner at California Grill last week for my daughter's 10th birthday. Thanks to all the great information on this thread, we had the sweetest Tinkerbell themed cake. Brian at the Cont bakery was fantastic to work with. He responded to my emails VERY quickly, and they even accommodated a very last minute change.

I ordered a two tiered mini cake, Tinkerbell themed with chocolate cake and chocolate filling. It was $35 and delicious. I sent a picture that lurkyloo posted here as inspiration. The cake was ADORABLE and even better than the below picture shows.

Thanks again!

View attachment 245733

View attachment 245734

Oh my goodness! Tinkerbell is my favorite, and I love this cake. I would like to ask some suggestions from all of you. I posted on here previously, that we will be celebrating my DGG's 1st Birthday at Akershus, and would love to get a small cake for her. We will be leaving to drive home shortly after her lunch, and with a 16 hour drive, we don't want to have to transport a ton of cake with us. I saw a picture of a small two tier Snow White cake that was adorable, and would like to do something similar, or slightly larger that has a Belle theme. Does anyone have any ideas for me? It doesn't have to be Belle, but maybe the colors, or the rose?? You guys are just all so much more creative than I will ever be!

Oh my goodness! Tinkerbell is my favorite, and I love this cake. I would like to ask some suggestions from all of you. I posted on here previously, that we will be celebrating my DGG's 1st Birthday at Akershus, and would love to get a small cake for her. We will be leaving to drive home shortly after her lunch, and with a 16 hour drive, we don't want to have to transport a ton of cake with us. I saw a picture of a small two tier Snow White cake that was adorable, and would like to do something similar, or slightly larger that has a Belle theme. Does anyone have any ideas for me? It doesn't have to be Belle, but maybe the colors, or the rose?? You guys are just all so much more creative than I will ever be!

I think the 2 tiers are mini cakes like the Tink one above, unless you go for a wedding cake style and I believe those are pretty large and quite expensive. I saw a really pretty Belle cake a while back, let me see if I can find it.

Are custom cakes or the new mickey head cake available in Mexico at San Angel? Or are they just plain grocery store type cakes that are available?

Mexico's restaurants are not owned or operated by Disney, so no. However, a DISer once got them to dress up one of their grocery store-style cakes a bit, so you might be able to do the same:

SanAngelMexicoEpcotCake6inch.jpg

Wow! That's beautiful! I am sorry to ask silly questions, but as many times as we have visited WDW before, I have never ordered a cake! Would I call the number in the 2nd post, and ask them if I can e-mail them a sample picture to see what the cost would be?

That is exactly what you'd do! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter