Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

For a family of six (four adults, two kids), do you think an 8-inch cake would be too much? It will be our last night and we're going back to the MK afternoon anyway, so we don't want a ton of leftovers. I'd prefer a 6", but it sounds like that's not possible for a Goofy cake.

I have been reading this forum for a few months. We are going on our very first Disney vacation in three weeks!!!!!! While we are there my daughter will celebrate her golden birthday. She will be turning 10 on the 10th! Of course her favorite in the world is Winnie the Pooh and I read on here that we can't get a cake with him on it. I am so glad I saw that on here, so I knew to look up other options! My daughter's other favorites, are Mulan, Pocahontas, and Star Wars. I couldn't really find any cute cakes with these themes, so I just settled on Minnie Mouse as we will be eating at Chef Mickey's for dinner. I called the phone number from the first page several times and was not able to get in touch with anyone. I ended up calling private dining and they told me to email. I am looking at getting either a 2 tier mini cake, or a 6" custom cake as there are 3 people in our family. (however leftover cake is always good!) I asked if they could some how incorporate a gold color as it is her golden birthday. I can't wait to hear back about possibilities and prices! I run a party supplies company so it is hard for me to surrender the party planning to someone else!

I was wondering if anyone has ever had a photo taken with one of the characters and their cake. For example, a photo of Mickey and my daughter with the cake sitting on the table nearby. Or, do they wait until the end of dinner to bring the cake out when all of the character interactions are over?

How exciting! I was able to get gold accents on a cake we had in June and they were really nice. As far as the characters, they are pretty continuously going around the dining room, so there isn't really a stop and start to it. Your server can tell you the order they'll be coming by and you could ask for the cake to be brought out in time for a particular character if you wanted a pic with them and the cake.

For a family of six (four adults, two kids), do you think an 8-inch cake would be too much? It will be our last night and we're going back to the MK afternoon anyway, so we don't want a ton of leftovers. I'd prefer a 6", but it sounds like that's not possible for a Goofy cake.

We ordered a 6" goofy cake from CR in 2015. We were a party of 4 adults, 2 teens and 1 child. For us, even the 6" was huge - we had a ton left over! When I ordered a 6" custom cake from BWI earlier this year, they also told me 8" was the smallest for custom. I asked the CM on the phone to double check and told her we've ordered these many times in the past. After checking, they agreed to make the 6".

I got an email back today from someone at the Contemporary named Donald. Has any one had a good experience working with him? He didn't answer all of my questions so I am a little nervous. He said they could do a mini 2 tier cake with a Minnie hat on top with red butter cream icing and white polka dots for $35. Or if I wanted a cake similar to one of the photos I attached, which is basically a two tier cake with red frosting and white polka dots that has a yellow bow between the two tiers and a Minnie hat on top; they could do a 6" bottom tier and a 4" second tier for $180. He didn't mention any of the other designs I wrote about and included photos of some had different styles of piping with swirls or gold colors etc. I had asked about writing "Happy Birthday Lanee" or including a number 10 and her name. I think I saw somewhere where they will write on the plate in chocolate for mini cakes? I also asked about gold icing for the golden birthday, but none of this was acknowledged in his response, nor were the flavors I asked about. He didn't seem to interested in custom design. Has anyone had gold icing on a mini cake or at the contemporary? Is there someone I should call and ask to talk with specifically to get a more custom design? I am leaning towards the mini cake because of the large price difference, and because we are a family of three at the moment. (trying to adopt again!) I don't want to spend $180 but would happily spend $75-100 for something special. Should I just email and ask again about adding her name somewhere and gold icing or should I try calling again? (couldn't get a hold of anyone last week, but it may be different this week) What would you do?

Is there a specific number to call for a specialty cake at the Grand Californian?

I got an email back today from someone at the Contemporary named Donald. Has any one had a good experience working with him? He didn't answer all of my questions so I am a little nervous. He said they could do a mini 2 tier cake with a Minnie hat on top with red butter cream icing and white polka dots for $35. Or if I wanted a cake similar to one of the photos I attached, which is basically a two tier cake with red frosting and white polka dots that has a yellow bow between the two tiers and a Minnie hat on top; they could do a 6" bottom tier and a 4" second tier for $180. He didn't mention any of the other designs I wrote about and included photos of some had different styles of piping with swirls or gold colors etc. I had asked about writing "Happy Birthday Lanee" or including a number 10 and her name. I think I saw somewhere where they will write on the plate in chocolate for mini cakes? I also asked about gold icing for the golden birthday, but none of this was acknowledged in his response, nor were the flavors I asked about. He didn't seem to interested in custom design. Has anyone had gold icing on a mini cake or at the contemporary? Is there someone I should call and ask to talk with specifically to get a more custom design? I am leaning towards the mini cake because of the large price difference, and because we are a family of three at the moment. (trying to adopt again!) I don't want to spend $180 but would happily spend $75-100 for something special. Should I just email and ask again about adding her name somewhere and gold icing or should I try calling again? (couldn't get a hold of anyone last week, but it may be different this week) What would you do?

I've worked with Donald twice and did not have that experience at all! I had a mini cake done for our wedding anniversary. Since it was a Fairytale Wedding cake design, they couldn't recreate the exterior design on a mini cake, but the cake/filling were spot on! In fact, a little more moist and flavorful that our actual wedding cake was. The exterior design was exactly what I asked for. If you haven't already, I would suggest emailing pictures of what you're looking for; he seemed to appreciate that. Good luck!IMG_1333.jpgIMG_1336.jpg

View attachment 263543

It looked like this. No pic of the inside. The inside was a thin layer of vanilla sponge, topped with a mound of strawberry mousse. More sponge was wrapped around the mousse and then another thin round of sponge "capped off" the cylinder. Hope that gives a good picture. It wasn't a layer cake, but rather a cake cylinder filled with moussse. As a result, the mousse to cake ratio was really wonderful.

thanks so much @quandrea .. I assume your cake was for a girl.. I am going to have to be the mean wife again and quiz my hubs about his fave character - just to get some color on the outside. Haaa good thing we still have 90ish days for him to forget I was asking crazy questions!

@luvvwl was your cake above a $35 mini cake? The inside looks insanely yummy!!

I had the same problems with the Beach Club private dining. They told me that they no longer do 6" cakes and they don't do the peanut butter filling that I have gotten in the past. I didn't speak with Shaun either. I spoke to a woman but I don't know her name. My cake was beautiful but it was a lot of cake for a family of 3 and my husband and daughter agreed that the peanut butter filling was better than the dark chocolate mousse that we got. I hope you can get what you want!

I tried calling Beach Club the other week and they didn't offer the mini two tier cake as an option either - I was hoping for that for our first anniversary in a recreation of our wedding cake (which was super simple, so shouldn't be a big request), but the woman I spoke to sounded like that wasn't an option there. Has anyone had any luck with Beach Club recently? Should I just try again and hope I get someone different? Is the mini cake an option I need to specifically ask for (not advertised)? I've never tried to order a custom cake before and I'm feeling very lost!

I've worked with Donald twice and did not have that experience at all! I had a mini cake done for our wedding anniversary. Since it was a Fairytale Wedding cake design, they couldn't recreate the exterior design on a mini cake, but the cake/filling were spot on! In fact, a little more moist and flavorful that our actual wedding cake was. The exterior design was exactly what I asked for. If you haven't already, I would suggest emailing pictures of what you're looking for; he seemed to appreciate that. Good luck!View attachment 263746View attachment 263747

That cake is adorable! Maybe Donald was in a hurry to watch the eclipse when he sent that email or something! Thanks so for sharing! :)

We ordered a 6" goofy cake from CR in 2015. We were a party of 4 adults, 2 teens and 1 child. For us, even the 6" was huge - we had a ton left over! When I ordered a 6" custom cake from BWI earlier this year, they also told me 8" was the smallest for custom. I asked the CM on the phone to double check and told her we've ordered these many times in the past. After checking, they agreed to make the 6".

Hmmm, thanks. I guess we'll just have to see! That's a lot of cake! :)

I've had a cake at the Contemporary with iridescent glitter all over it, so I'm sure they can do gold. Also, for smaller cakes the writing has to be on a piece of white chocolate or the plate.

I'd write back with a numbered list of specific questions you still have. If possible, narrow your ideas down to just one or two photos and be very specific about what you want from each photo. I usually paste them all into one photo with a lot of writing, like this:

HaywardJikoCakeIdea.jpg

Is there a specific number to call for a specialty cake at the Grand Californian?

The phone number for ordering cakes anywhere at Disneyland is at the bottom of Post #1.

I tried calling Beach Club the other week and they didn't offer the mini two tier cake as an option either - I was hoping for that for our first anniversary in a recreation of our wedding cake (which was super simple, so shouldn't be a big request), but the woman I spoke to sounded like that wasn't an option there. Has anyone had any luck with Beach Club recently? Should I just try again and hope I get someone different? Is the mini cake an option I need to specifically ask for (not advertised)? I've never tried to order a custom cake before and I'm feeling very lost!

I would call back and hope for someone more knowledgeable; many of us have gotten mini cakes at the Yacht & Beach Club. If that fails, tell them you want the email address for the pastry chef so you can work with him/her on a custom design, and then ask the pastry chef for a mini cake.

It's been awhile since I've been on this thread. I see you can special order cupcakes now. Can someone please give me more information on that, do you call the same number as the cake hotline to place the order?

thanks!

I have been stalking this thread for about 6 months and I just cannot decide whether or not to get a cake for our September trip! It is just DH & I going without the kids for the first time, it's also our 10th anniversary. I kind of want to do a mini cake, but we are staying CL at the Contemporary and will have access to desserts every night. Any opinions would be great!!:thanks:

I have been stalking this thread for about 6 months and I just cannot decide whether or not to get a cake for our September trip! It is just DH & I going without the kids for the first time, it's also our 10th anniversary. I kind of want to do a mini cake, but we are staying CL at the Contemporary and will have access to desserts every night. Any opinions would be great!!:thanks:
Always get cake!

I would call back and hope for someone more knowledgeable; many of us have gotten mini cakes at the Yacht & Beach Club. If that fails, tell them you want the email address for the pastry chef so you can work with him/her on a custom design, and then ask the pastry chef for a mini cake.

I'll try that, thanks!! Any tips on if there's a best time to try to call? I would assume during any meal time is not a good bet, but is there a better time of day, or day of the week, or anything like that? I may be way over thinking this...

It's been awhile since I've been on this thread. I see you can special order cupcakes now. Can someone please give me more information on that, do you call the same number as the cake hotline to place the order?

thanks!

It's the same process as ordering a cake. All phone numbers are in Post #2.

I'll try that, thanks!! Any tips on if there's a best time to try to call? I would assume during any meal time is not a good bet, but is there a better time of day, or day of the week, or anything like that? I may be way over thinking this...

:teeth: I usually call before noon (ET) on a weekday, later in the week.

I worked with Donald for two cakes I ordered in 2015 and he was awesome as were the cakes. He probably just gets too many emails and too many questions. Try narrowing down what you want and asking yes/no type questions to make it easier for him to answer.

Oh gosh, I don't recommend trying to order for any of the All Stars. I got a lady, Heather, but she was at Music and she had no idea what a mini cake was, let alone the start price :( She was very helpful but having to run around tracking people down for about a week seems more hassle then it's worth.

Does anyone know if I can pick up a mini cake from the Boardwalk? Or the small Mickey dome ones? We won't be dining at a Disney owned property until Sunday (we check in on a Friday), which is a breakfast and later in our trip. Any ideas?
I cannot book another ADR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter