Official Dopey 2018 Thread

Apologies in advance if I jumped the gun and you needed another box to post information but... I am in. This is my 2017 workout goal and everything I am doing for 2017 is going towards Dopey 2018.

I spent New Year's Eve planning my workout schedule and will be taking it day by day. The first half of the year focuses on miles and speed and the second half on proper Dopey training with the intention of running a marathon in December.

I am equal parts terrified and excited for this challenge. Yay!

Apologies in advance if I jumped the gun and you needed another box to post information but... I am in. This is my 2017 workout goal and everything I am doing for 2017 is going towards Dopey 2018.

I spent New Year's Eve planning my workout schedule and will be taking it day by day. The first half of the year focuses on miles and speed and the second half on proper Dopey training with the intention of running a marathon in December.

I am equal parts terrified and excited for this challenge. Yay!
No apologies needed - we are all good.

Good luck with the training and focus on the awesome bling - you will do great because you are planning well and starting early.

I'm all about the anniversary bling (to go right next to the inaugural). I even was smart this year and already have the registration fees set aside. Just awaiting Valentine's Day to join the melee for a spot.

(And fleet feet to the 2017 Dopeys! Its a grandiose achievement :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:)

…proper Dopey training with the intention of running a marathon in December.

Am I reading this correctly that you are planning on a December marathon followed by Dopey the first week in January? If so, I would recommend not placing two marathons that close together. Your body will need a good two weeks recovery after the December marathon which won't put you in prime shape for Dopey. If Dopey is your main goal, I would either skip the December marathon, or if you really want to run a marathon prior to Dopey, then maybe try to find a late September/early October marathon. Just a suggestion.

Hey guys,

I'll be running Dopey 18 as well. I was going to post this thread but figured I'd wait. I've already booked a room for the week at the Contemporary to make sure I've got great accommodations. I don't think it will sell out immediately but I'll have two computers at the ready when registration opens just in case.

I was wondering if there was a STRAVA Club. Wouldn't it be interesting to encourage each other on our daily runs?

To get a little conversation started, I've run a half dozen or so marathons and a few ultras over the last 10 years with the longest being a 100 Miler in 2014. I'm normally a sub 4 Hour runner but I think I'll treat the 1/2 and Full like an Ultra and shoot for 5 hours and stop and take pics and have a great time along the way.

What is everyone else's history and plan?

It's great to meet everyone and I look forward to pushing each other along.

Hey guys,

I'll be running Dopey 18 as well. I was going to post this thread but figured I'd wait. I've already booked a room for the week at the Contemporary to make sure I've got great accommodations. I don't think it will sell out immediately but I'll have two computers at the ready when registration opens just in case.

I was wondering if there was a STRAVA Club. Wouldn't it be interesting to encourage each other on our daily runs?

To get a little conversation started, I've run a half dozen or so marathons and a few ultras over the last 10 years with the longest being a 100 Miler in 2014. I'm normally a sub 4 Hour runner but I think I'll treat the 1/2 and Full like an Ultra and shoot for 5 hours and stop and take pics and have a great time along the way.

What is everyone else's history and plan?

It's great to meet everyone and I look forward to pushing each other along.

Here I am! Check the signature for the Strava link.

You know I'm in for Dopey 2018! Maintain that legacy status and who knows what the goal will be for that race. Let's see how 2017 ends up!

I'll be arriving this week too. Starting Sunday I'm spending a week at the BC with the family before starting a new job. Bet I see lots of Marathoners walking it off when I arrive around lunch and head into EPCOT.

Am I reading this correctly that you are planning on a December marathon followed by Dopey the first week in January? If so, I would recommend not placing two marathons that close together. Your body will need a good two weeks recovery after the December marathon which won't put you in prime shape for Dopey. If Dopey is your main goal, I would either skip the December marathon, or if you really want to run a marathon prior to Dopey, then maybe try to find a late September/early October marathon. Just a suggestion.

Galloways Dopey training suggests a 26 mile run in the first couple weeks of December? I'm confused - is that not a marathon? I'm very open to best practice suggestion - so anyone who has run this can share their secrets for success. :)

Galloways Dopey training suggests a 26 mile run in the first couple weeks of December? I'm confused - is that not a marathon? I'm very open to best practice suggestion - so anyone who has run this can share their secrets for success. :)

Got it. So, the 26-miler is a training run (at a slower pace) vs. a marathon at race pace. I guess that works. Most training plans don't have you going the complete 26 miles prior to the marathon, but some folks like going the full distance to help them mentally understand that they can make it. Whatever you think will work best for you is the key. I like how you are planning out the entire year!

Got it. So, the 26-miler is a training run (at a slower pace) vs. a marathon at race pace. I guess that works. Most training plans don't have you going the complete 26 miles prior to the marathon, but some folks like going the full distance to help them mentally understand that they can make it. Whatever you think will work best for you is the key. I like how you are planning out the entire year!

Yes that's exactly it. I'll be running a marathon as a training run and a bit slower (15-16 min mile pace) just to get it done so I have confidence ;)

I sat down and planned out each day for the remainder of the year - including half marathons planned to run. My upcoming rundisney races and rock n roll runs somehow magically fit perfectly into the needed mileage too. Fancy that!

I've done several marathons and a few ultras. Once you get to the furthest run, my opinion is that it becomes very personal and hard to take advice. With that said, I'd aim more for time on feet than distance.

So, for this type event, and not meant for a well trained athlete but a "first timer" type I'd recommend maybe a 3-4 day consecutive Dopey type training event of short run, 1 hour run, 2 hour run, 3-4 hour run. Then let the pace fall where it may. I'd do this 5-6 weeks out. Tailor to fit your needs.

I'd also recommend looking at this not as a marathon, but as a 48 mile run with another 20-40 mils of walking. Think of all the mileage you'll be putting gin and prepare for the entire Week starting with the Expo, the runs, and doing whatever walking of the parks you have planned.

Hey guys I'm planning on running Dopey 2018 as well, fingers crossed Feb 14th all goes to plan!

I did Dopey in 2016 and absolutely loved it, but I live in the U.K. So rundisney is pretty expensive for me - more a once-a-year experience and seen as me and boyf are huge Star Wars fans were doing Dark Side instead (sooooo excited!)
The only marathon I've run so far was at Dopey, I know some people say you should do one before but if you keep to a training plan I didn't find I was at a disadvantage having not done one or essential that a you do one prior. Half marathons are my preferred race length and I'm already a signed up for a few this year so I have a good base come the summer when training starts!

Anyone else super jealous of all the marathon weekend chat? All I keep thinking is next year...

Hey guys I'm planning on running Dopey 2018 as well, fingers crossed Feb 14th all goes to plan!

Anyone else super jealous of all the marathon weekend chat? All I keep thinking is next year...

Not only am I jealous, I have to deal with the agony, well, maybe not agony, of arriving to the Beach Club Resort and entering EPCOT this Sunday at around noon and seeing all the runners!

Talk about motivation. I. Can't. Wait. !!!

Not only am I jealous, I have to deal with the agony, well, maybe not agony, of arriving to the Beach Club Resort and entering EPCOT this Sunday at around noon and seeing all the runners!

Talk about motivation. I. Can't. Wait. !!!

You're a stronger person than I am!

My family can't seem to understand why I'm so excited for something so far away and that I haven't actually signed up to yet!

It's good to know a few of us already are thinking about it! I am a half marathoner (did 16 in 2016) and this just feels like the next illogical step. Haha!

To the poster who mentioned walking, I have to say I hadn't even considered going to a park during the weekend. We are staying at YC or BC and want to walk to Epcot for dinner and that's it. In and out, otherwise laying in bed and mentally preparing myself for the next day's run while icing, stretching and foam rolling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter