Official Dopey 2018 Thread

I haven't booked my departure flight from Dopey as yet as I have been waiting to see what happens with Light Side. The flights are starting to go up so much that I think I might have to make a call and forget light side and book a little holiday somewhere else for the weekend following Dopey.

Two quick Dopey questions...

1. How many different pairs of sneakers do you wear during Dopey? The same ones all four days? Rotate them?

2. What is your longest training run leading up to Dopey? How many times do you go that distance?

Based on the number of question marks above, I guess I have more than two questions.

I used 4 pairs of shoes in 2015, one for each race. I did not want to take any chances with the weather. As for training I followed the Galloway plan but only made it up to 23 miles for my long run I ended up skipping the scheduled 26 miler.

Well that's for sure. I've experienced anything from 30s to 80s during marathon weekend. The way weather changes during that week is crazy.

If the weather before the start of the half last year didn't come with lightning, would they have still run it?

If there was no lightning as far as I know they would have still ran it.

Like others, for Dopey I had 2 pairs of shoes, a 5k/half pair & a 10k/full pair (they were the exact same models).

1. How many different pairs of sneakers do you wear during Dopey? The same ones all four days? Rotate them?

2. What is your longest training run leading up to Dopey? How many times do you go that distance?

Based on the number of question marks above, I guess I have more than two questions.

I brought three pairs. Plan was one for the 5k and half and one for the 10k/full.

I will typically wear the pair for the longest distance onto the plane so that I'm sure to have them no matter what.

My longest training run was supposed to be 26 miles but I stopped after mile 23 or 24. Basically I was dumb and didn't pace slow enough at the start and just fizzled. I will do better this year.

I brought three pairs too. I alternated with two pairs and then had one for rain since it was in the forecast.

@DopeyBadger does my training plans and I am a slower runner so my longest run was 13 miles (I also ran 6 days a week). I did that twice during races that I had built into my training cycle.

This will be me this year. Along with packing every bit of running clothes I own from shorts to pants and tank tops to running coats. Taking no chances. :)
That is my plan for 2018 as well. I just need to get some long runs in with my new ONs to make sure they will work and then decide when to buy the final pair and bring it into Dopey training the rotation

1. I intend to bring 2 pairs-as typically I run in a certain brand/make for distances shorter than 1/2 marathon than I do for a marathon. I also want a second pair in case of rain.

2. I too will treat Dopey like I'm training for a Marathon, which is a max 20 mile run for me.

I have been watching the flights from Detroit hoping the prices will dip a bit more. But very soon I will have to pull the trigger. With four going every little bit helps!

For shoes I bring two pair and rotate each race. As far as training and distance in the past I have trained for a marathon and tried to focus on consecutive days. This year I will do that again but with more distance in prep from some spring races.

I really need to get a new pair of shoes. My annual tradition is to nab a couple pairs of last year's style when they're on clearance, but I can't find my size any more (stupid size 14 feet). I have waited too long and now face the horror of Full Retail Price! Nooooooo!

1. I used 3 pair this year: 1 for the 5K and DIY half, 1 for the 10K, 1 for the full. But that was only because 1 pair happened to work with both my 5K and half outfits, otherwise, I'd have used 4, lol! (I drive, so packing is a non-issue.)
2. My plan was to go to 20-22 as my longest: 20 was the main goal, but that day happened to be the first cool day of the fall here (FL), and it felt so nice I opted to do the extra 2.

If the weather before the start of the half last year didn't come with lightning, would they have still run it?
Assuming nothing else risky, like tornadoes, absolutely. Wine & Dine 2014 was nearly nonstop rain and no cancellations there!

If anyone is thinking about maybe doing Castaway Cay Challenge, let me know - the ship is almost COMPLETELY sold out, but I have a few spots left in a group rate that come with your Castaway Cay race registration and a little bit of onboard credit.

1. I'll bring probably 2 pair of shoes.
2. I have a marathon in November I'm training for now, so between November and Dopey I'll just be maintaining fitness - probably go up to another 20 mile run in between.

I really need to get a new pair of shoes. My annual tradition is to nab a couple pairs of last year's style when they're on clearance, but I can't find my size any more (stupid size 14 feet). I have waited too long and now face the horror of Full Retail Price! Nooooooo!

Although it seems kind of... something... to reply to my own post, I nabbed a new pair o' shoes yesterday! Let's hear it for last year's shoes at the Nike Outlet. So, I'll probably bring 3 pairs for January:
  1. my new pair,
  2. my current "best" pair,
  3. and my "nearing the end of running life" pair which will be for walking and back-up in case of really bad weather.

Gearing up for Dopey #3 - I end up bringing 5 pairs (it takes up an entire small suitcase):

1. Go to neutral shoe.
2. A more supportive shoe.
3. An older pair for rainy runs (there has been at least one the last 2 years).
4. Racing flats
5. Walk-the-park shoes.

I don't have a dedicated pair for each race, I just go by how I feel that morning and the weather (legs a little tired? go for the support shoe that day). I could probably leave the racing flats at home since I haven't worn them for Dopey, but I know if I do I will end up feeling great and wish i had them.

Soooo Lucky for flights for us.

4 1st class round trip tickets

Total Cost:
$138 payment
$700 voucher from being incentivized to take a later flight
$300 voucher from a cancellation (ouch! $200 fee for that $500 tckt)
something like 25,000 rewards miles.

Not bad for $138 out of pocket Raleigh to MCO!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts