Official Dopey 2018 Thread

I'm in the 3 or 4 pairs of shoes explicitly for races camp. It's not that I feel like I need one for each race, but I usually bring an extra pair in case one gets we and an extra pair of more cusiony long run shoes to wear if I get injured.

On a related not I also bring a pair of post race slides or flip flops. Usually at the end of the full I can't wait to get my shoes off.

Soooo Lucky for flights for us.

4 1st class round trip tickets

Total Cost:
$138 payment
$700 voucher from being incentivized to take a later flight
$300 voucher from a cancellation (ouch! $200 fee for that $500 tckt)
something like 25,000 rewards miles.

Not bad for $138 out of pocket Raleigh to MCO!

Are you on the morning flight on Tuesday on Delta? If so we'll be seeing you in first class.

I have a shoes question - when everyone talks about the pairs they bring for Dopey, do you prefer to have multiple pairs of the same shoe, or do you have different pairs of shoes?

I have a shoes question - when everyone talks about the pairs they bring for Dopey, do you prefer to have multiple pairs of the same shoe, or do you have different pairs of shoes?

This varies person to person. Looking back over the responses you have some folks who bring different shoe types to use in the different races. Then you have the people (like me) who bring multiple pairs of the same shoe to rotate through the weekend. I think it all comes down to what you train in. If you have different shoes for different speeds/distances, bring them to race in the applicable event. If you use a single model for all your training bring multiple pairs to allow for rotation and the possibility of inclement weather.

This varies person to person. Looking back over the responses you have some folks who bring different shoe types to use in the different races. Then you have the people (like me) who bring multiple pairs of the same shoe to rotate through the weekend. I think it all comes down to what you train in. If you have different shoes for different speeds/distances, bring them to race in the applicable event. If you use a single model for all your training bring multiple pairs to allow for rotation and the possibility of inclement weather.

For me, I have a couple pairs of the same shoe myself. Just different colours of the same ones. My old fail safe Sauconys. After trying different brands, they're the only brand that I never had issues with (rubbing/blistering etc). So when they went on sale end of season last year, I bought 3 pairs to have them.

I alternate them on training days so that they are somewhat equally broken in and good to go.

For me, it depends on what I've been training in. Last year, it happened that I was using the same make/model for everything - though I buy different colors for each pair to differentiate. This year looks like I'll have at least 2 different makes/models in the mix, maybe 3 or 4. But I alwyas have a non-running pair of running shoes for walking the parks - I need a totally different kind of shoe for strolling/standing than for running.

Hello, everyone. New here. I'm doing Dopey and was planning on staying at Fort Wilderness in my 23 feet RV. I just found out they are totally booked. How difficult is it to stay offsite? What should I consider when driving in each morning on race day?

Ralph

Hello, everyone. New here. I'm doing Dopey and was planning on staying at Fort Wilderness in my 23 feet RV. I just found out they are totally booked. How difficult is it to stay offsite? What should I consider when driving in each morning on race day?

Ralph

My group stayed offsite last year and had no problem with the commute. With all of the construction going on you may want to give yourself a few extra minutes the first couple days until you are comfortable (you can always sit in your climate controlled vehicle if you are a little early).

We are by no means Disney area transportation experts and had no difficulty following the signs and getting parked with plenty of time to spare. Traffic gets heavier as the weekend goes on as more people are registered for the half and full and the courses require more road closures. You shouldn't have too much difficulty though.

Just to add to the comments on bringing multiple pairs of shoes......I find that my shoes are soaked from sweat after any run...even without rain. For this reason alone I bring more than one pair. This year I plan on three pairs.

18 miles today.... what. I'm just 7-8 weeks from my first full and never thought I'd run nearly a Disney weekend challenge in one day.

I had one moment of panic at mile 17 when I'd realized I was running out of steam and I would have had another 9 to go on the full. First time that's happened but my running companion knocked some sense into me and said to only focus on today.

It definitely varies person to person. I bring the same shoe but different versions. Based on my current shoe distribution I'll probably have at least one pair of Brooks Glycerin 13s and at least one pair of 14s. I can pretty much guarantee I'll have more shoes in addition.

It definitely varies person to person. I bring the same shoe but different versions. Based on my current shoe distribution I'll probably have at least one pair of Brooks Glycerin 13s and at least one pair of 14s. I can pretty much guarantee I'll have more shoes in addition.

Could you tell a difference when you switched from the 13s to the 14s? When I tried to switch I got bad ankle, foot and knee pain. Right now I'm running in a rotation with 2 pairs of Glycerin 13s that I stockpiled as soon as the 14 issue became apparent and a pair of Glycerin 15s to see if they fixed what they broke for me in the 14s. The good news is that the 15s seem to be back to a usable design. I guess the 14s will just be a "lost generation" for me and was wondering if anyone else had seen problems with them.

Could you tell a difference when you switched from the 13s to the 14s? When I tried to switch I got bad ankle, foot and knee pain. Right now I'm running in a rotation with 2 pairs of Glycerin 13s that I stockpiled as soon as the 14 issue became apparent and a pair of Glycerin 15s to see if they fixed what they broke for me in the 14s. The good news is that the 15s seem to be back to a usable design. I guess the 14s will just be a "lost generation" for me and was wondering if anyone else had seen problems with them.
I haven't had any trouble yet but I'm just starting to break them in. I know I had a friend who felt the 14s pushed her feet too far forward with the padding and she liked the 15s better but if I feel something else with the 14s I'll let you know.

That happened to me with Brooks Ghosts a few years ago. I had been using them for a long time, but the newer version caused lots of knee pain. I have no idea if they fixed that problem, because I switched to Nike Zoom Vomeros and have been happy with those ever since.

Ralph

I stay offsite often and drive to races even when I'm onsite - it's very easy! Just be sure to leave EARLY and you'll miss any road closures/traffic tie-ups. I hate running late and despise getting stuck in traffic, so my rule of thumb is to be on WDW property at the time host hotel race buses begin running. So if race buses start at 3am and my accommodations are 10 minutes from a WDW entrance, I'll want to be on the road at 2:50am. I know plenty of others who leave later; it all comes down to your personal risk tolerance.

I stay offsite often and drive to races even when I'm onsite - it's very easy! Just be sure to leave EARLY and you'll miss any road closures/traffic tie-ups. I hate running late and despise getting stuck in traffic, so my rule of thumb is to be on WDW property at the time host hotel race buses begin running. So if race buses start at 3am and my accommodations are 10 minutes from a WDW entrance, I'll want to be on the road at 2:50am. I know plenty of others who leave later; it all comes down to your personal risk tolerance.

My strategy is to figure out how to track @rteetz 's magicband and see when he's leaving his hotel room. Then I'll run out at the same time.

Now only to figure out how to track him without doing anything illegal...

(I'm joking!)

Thank you for responding to my question. I feel confident to book a campsite off WDW property. I stayed at Tropical Palms RV Resort back in early 2000. I think i'll give them a call today.

My outfit plans went to heck right along with the canceled half and Frigid Full this year, so I'm planning to not plan this time, lol! Well, I do have plans for the 5K and 10K, actually, but I'm leaving the half and full fluid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter