Official Dopey 2018 Thread

Two questions. First, is it worth getting the Memory Maker/Photo Pass for the Dopey? Do they take a lot of pictures on the course? Do you think it is crazy to spend much time in the parks over race week/weekend for someone doing the Dopey? My family and I are going to WDW in April and I am trying to decide whether it is worthwhile to get an annual pass. Getting Memory Maker for both trips would be $340, parking for the 4 days on on April trip is $80, savings with AP discount would likely be another $100. That adds to $520 with an out of state AP costing $780. I already have non-expiring tickets for the April trip but could easily use them another time since we go every year.
1. It really depends on how much you like pictures of yourself running and/or how many character stops you intend to hit. I would say that I had between 15-20 photos each race many of which were really unattractive because I make a weird face when I run and only smile when I know there is a photographer up ahead. I don't stop for many character pics and some may not have a photographer there so you may only be able to get pictures on your phone anyway. If more than one person is running though I would say absolutely.

2. Going to the park before/after running is a very personal/how you feel sort of thing. Think of how you recover from other races and how spending all day on your feet when you have to run double the distance you ran that day the next morning will affect you. I've done both ways (though I haven't run the marathon) and found that there is a happy balance where I can go to the parks without exhausting myself but I can't walk the parks all day and expect to be fully rested for the next day.

Two questions. First, is it worth getting the Memory Maker/Photo Pass for the Dopey? Do they take a lot of pictures on the course? Do you think it is crazy to spend much time in the parks over race week/weekend for someone doing the Dopey? My family and I are going to WDW in April and I am trying to decide whether it is worthwhile to get an annual pass. Getting Memory Maker for both trips would be $340, parking for the 4 days on on April trip is $80, savings with AP discount would likely be another $100. That adds to $520 with an out of state AP costing $780. I already have non-expiring tickets for the April trip but could easily use them another time since we go every year.

We got it for this year's marathon and loved it! Not only do you get your race pics, you also get all the ride/character pics from the parks. DD27 and I hit all the characters with our medals and I was very happy with all the pics! We ended up with a ton of pictures!

I definitely think it is worth it, but we are all about character stops on Disney races. We typically get a lot of photos though, even beyond just the character shots, we usually get a decent number while running. Given that it now also takes care of park pictures as well, it's a no-brainer for us.

We have APs so get the pictures included, but I would absolutely pay for it. It covers pictures of everyone in our party, which is awesome. And we stop for every character that we see on the course, so we get a ton of pictures for each race.

If you are not stopping for those pictures, it is probably not worth it.

2. Going to the park before/after running is a very personal/how you feel sort of thing. Think of how you recover from other races and how spending all day on your feet when you have to run double the distance you ran that day the next morning will affect you. I've done both ways (though I haven't run the marathon) and found that there is a happy balance where I can go to the parks without exhausting myself but I can't walk the parks all day and expect to be fully rested for the next day.

My girl and I want to do the parks, but know we should probably leave by 6:30 so we can get back to the hotel and sleep. 3 AM comes really fast!

I used Touringplans to give me a ballpark estimate on how much we can do, and not retrace our steps too much within the parks. The afternoon between the 1/2 and full will, more than likely, be a pool day. Definitely no parks.

First, is it worth getting the Memory Maker/Photo Pass for the Dopey? Do they take a lot of pictures on the course?
Yes and yes!! However, if you plan to stop for characters than an even bigger YES! You will get tons of photos!

Do you think it is crazy to spend much time in the parks over race week/weekend for someone doing the Dopey?
NOT AT ALLL! I have full park itineraries for each day. BUT I know myself, and I know that "stopping" after a race, particularly anything more than 10K is just going to make me more stiff and sore.

whether it is worthwhile to get an annual pass
I have Dopey and another 10 day trip booked for next August, so the math for me, makes it much more cost effect to get the AP.

My girl and I want to do the parks, but know we should probably leave by 6:30 so we can get back to the hotel and sleep. 3 AM comes really fast!

I used Touringplans to give me a ballpark estimate on how much we can do, and not retrace our steps too much within the parks. The afternoon between the 1/2 and full will, more than likely, be a pool day. Definitely no parks.

I'd recommend a different approach. Rather than fill as many days as you can at the parks and then skip the one before the full, you ought to consider having a moderate amount of park time each day. The cumulative fatigue will catch up with her faster if she has a high load every day but one when compared to a smaller load each day. Plus, walking some after the half will be better for her recovery than sitting down all afternoon.

I'd recommend a different approach. Rather than fill as many days as you can at the parks and then skip the one before the full, you ought to consider having a moderate amount of park time each day. The cumulative fatigue will catch up with her faster if she has a high load every day but one when compared to a smaller load each day. Plus, walking some after the half will be better for her recovery than sitting down all afternoon.

Oh no, trust me, they aren't full days at all. I set Touring Plans on very relaxed, and even then, have at least an hour leftover where I decided to not fill it in. I kept it occupied, but light.

My last trip, I didn't have a break day, and the kids got super cranky at the end, so that's why I want to take some kind of break. Maybe DS, maybe resort hop? I want to play it by ear. I also have friends who now live in FLL and Tampa, so maybe I can convince them to come on property to say hi :D

Thanks everyone for your input. Looks like I am going to get the AP. I love pictures and want to get pictures in every park with all of the medals. That may be a bit ambitious since I leave on Monday. @FelisLachesis 6:30 to leave the park? I hope to be asleep not long after that. :)

Its not ambitious at all! You can do it! (It helps to have a spectator be your personal photographer/handler)

Thanks everyone for your input. Looks like I am going to get the AP. I love pictures and want to get pictures in every park with all of the medals. That may be a bit ambitious since I leave on Monday. @FelisLachesis 6:30 to leave the park? I hope to be asleep not long after that. :)

Staying at CR had a couple of perks, like riding the Monorail to Epcot on half and full morning! :D

What do you mean? The theme stays the same ... 5K is Pluto, 10K is Minnie, Half is Donald and Full is Mickey.

Thanks, I wasn’t aware this one did not change like the others do. I’ve only done marathon weekend once before.

I was listening to a podcast on my run yesterday and they were talking about a rumor they had heard that this will be the last year the challenge will be "Dopey". That WDW will go with a more generic name for the challenge, like Disney World Challenge, so that they can use more characters, like Disneyland did with the Dumbo Double Dare. They said it was just a rumor, but I am wondering if anyone else had heard that rumor?? If it is true I am so glad I signed up for my first Dopey challenge this year. :)

I was listening to a podcast on my run yesterday and they were talking about a rumor they had heard that this will be the last year the challenge will be "Dopey". That WDW will go with a more generic name for the challenge, like Disney World Challenge, so that they can use more characters, like Disneyland did with the Dumbo Double Dare. They said it was just a rumor, but I am wondering if anyone else had heard that rumor?? If it is true I am so glad I signed up for my first Dopey challenge this year. :)
First I’ve heard of that. I think that would lose some of the appeal for me. Dopey is really Dopey so the name just fits. I know many of the other weekends have had this rumor though.

I should mention though that there was a point when The rumor was Dopey would go away altogether.

If nothing else, I hope they keep Dopey through 2019 so @roxymama gets her Dopey medal and not some generic other Disney character.

If nothing else, I hope they keep Dopey through 2019 so @roxymama gets her Dopey medal and not some generic other Disney character.

I always get sweaty palms and hot flashes when I see I have been summoned to this thread. I'm gonna go make a cold compress and lie down before I get light headed :)

Also do y'all need me to speak directly with Snow White when I'm at the world this month? See if I can sway her about the medal?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!