Official Dopey 2018 Thread

I always get sweaty palms and hot flashes when I see I have been summoned to this thread. I'm gonna go make a cold compress and lie down before I get light headed :)
Not gonna lie, your participation makes me more likely to come down for a marathon weekend.

So, this being my first ever RunDisney event. I was wondering, are there any post race festivities/parties after the events. I remember reading that Disney Springs is a good place to go post race events but wasn't sure if there were any official/unofficial events.

Thanks

So, this being my first ever RunDisney event. I was wondering, are there any post race festivities/parties after the events. I remember reading that Disney Springs is a good place to go post race events but wasn't sure if there were any official/unofficial events.

Thanks

They advertise an “after party” at Disney Springs on Sunday night after the marathon; but I don’t remember there being any special activities or celebrations that are actually organized. It’s mostly discounts at stores/restaurants for runners and an informal feeling of celebration. You get the same recognition and celebratory atmosphere in the parks afterward.

All that is to say, there isn’t any one “place to be” after the races but there will be a pretty good atmosphere no matter where you are.

I was listening to a podcast on my run yesterday and they were talking about a rumor they had heard that this will be the last year the challenge will be "Dopey". That WDW will go with a more generic name for the challenge, like Disney World Challenge, so that they can use more characters, like Disneyland did with the Dumbo Double Dare. They said it was just a rumor, but I am wondering if anyone else had heard that rumor?? If it is true I am so glad I signed up for my first Dopey challenge this year. :)

I hadn't heard that. Given that they haven't changed Goofy, Mickey or Donald, I am not sure why they would change Dopey. They don't seem to be struggling with marketing it. And as others have pointed out people were referring to this as Dopey since before they added the 10K.

Thanks
While there are things at Disney Springs the big thing for me has always been wearing my medal(s) around the parks and resorts in the afternoon after the races. It's a tremendous amount of fun to just interact with other runners. A lot of groups have there own traditions. The group I travel with always does a big meal Sunday night after the marathon (usually Ohana). I know other groups drink around the world.

So I have never run Dopey before but I thought I remember people saying that the 5k starts a half hour later than the other races so you at least get to "sleep in" one day. But on the runDisney page it shows the 5k starting at 5:30 also.

So I have never run Dopey before but I thought I remember people saying that the 5k starts a half hour later than the other races so you at least get to "sleep in" one day. But on the runDisney page it shows the 5k starting at 5:30 also.

Nice catch! Looks like another early morning. Used to be 6:15am a couple of years ago.

Last year was 6:00am.

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 3.41.20 PM.png

Thanks guys! Sorry I'm slow.
So what do we think this means for buses back to the resorts? Will they likely be running back earlier too?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!