Official Dopey 2019 Thread

I reserved my slot with my travel agent, so when she gets them I will be in...maybe a week before registration. Although last year they got it after general public registration.

I'm so in... waiting to book my hotel dates... so excited watching everyone's post from this year.

I'm debating. 2019 would be my first marathon. Part of me wants to go big or go home and just do Dopey too. (Yes, this is probably stupid, but how many fulls do I want to run...guess I don't know till I do one! ;) )

I'm debating. 2019 would be my first marathon. Part of me wants to go big or go home and just do Dopey too. (Yes, this is probably stupid, but how many fulls do I want to run...guess I don't know till I do one! ;) )

Go for it. My first marathon was Dopey 2017. I need a do over on both Dopey and the marathon though. The half was canceled I 2017, so I need redemption on Dopey. I got a stomach bug and couldn’t eat the day before the full so I need a redo on a full in general and try one when I’m healthy.

I am in! Hotel booked- costumes planned. Time off set on my work calendar, POT done, pre-training underway!
My first full- celebrating turning 50!
Will add a 1.4 run the morning of the expo to make 50 miles in my favorite place. Others are welcome to join the 1.4 - details to come much later.

I was SO inspired watching the last few years! Congrats to everyone this weekend!

I know my training has to improve...this year I felt the quads at mile 21 and ended up walking for 8 minutes in total (two 4 min walks after mile 21). So my training will require longer long runs...but 2019 will be a PR for sure

I am so on the fence about having WDW be my first Marathon because I want to do the Dopey, of course. But do I want my first Marathon to be after running three races the days before? Or should I maybe look into doing a Marathon this fall and then doing Dopey?

I am so on the fence about having WDW be my first Marathon because I want to do the Dopey, of course. But do I want my first Marathon to be after running three races the days before? Or should I maybe look into doing a Marathon this fall and then doing Dopey?

I just did Dopey this weekend, and it was my first Marathon. I honestly would say that assuming that you've done a half marathon before (and I would strongly suggest doing a few halfs before the actual weekend), Dopey is within reasonable reach for a first time marathoner. I honestly don't feel that running the 5k or 10k affected my performance at all. The key is how you survive after doing the half marathon. You don't have a recovery day, so you need to do what you can to get your legs flexible before you go to sleep. Make sure you take a really hot soak, and either get a massage, or do some stretching/foam rolling. My half marathon portion of the marathon certainly was slower than the actual half itself, but the important thing was not having any pain/aches when going for it.

The other reason I suggest going big is simply that if you just do the marathon next year, and don't like, or even hate doing it, you're not going to really have any desire to do it again the next year to get Dopey. I am quite sure I will never do another marathon in my life after my experience in it. But even though I'm pretty much one and done, I at least got my set of medals, and I'm content with that. As I posted in the Dopey/WDM weekend "lessons learned" thread, a marathon is far beyond what a half is like. It's not for everybody.

Did my first marathon yesterday... Thinking I will hold off on doing another until 2020, in which I will probably sign up for Dopey then. Although I know I could probably do Dopey next year, it wouldn't be times that I could be proud of.

I would either do a marathon earlier in the year or not do one at all and just do Dopey. You want to give yourself plenty of time to train right and to recover from any prior races in the runup to Dopey. Running a marathon is very taxing under the best of circumstances and there is always a risk of injury. It would be unfortunate to injure yourself in the fall just as you start your Dopey prep.

That's the wisdom from my experience at least. Two years ago, I ran a fall marathon and PR'd, then injured myself running a half marathon in November. My training for Goofy was limited while I managed the injury, and while Goofy went OK, I didn't run as fast as I might have, and I was nervous the whole time that the injury would derail me.

This year, I ran a fall marathon again and PR'd again, and again injured myself in the month after the marathon. Similar to 2016, I had limited training due to the injury and was hoping just to finish (I didn't get to run because of the weather).

The point is, a marathon is very taxing, and even if you feel healthy at the end of the race, it will have taken a toll on your body you might be unaware of, and that sets you up for a future injury. If I run marathon weekend again, I won't be running any fall marathons that year!

I would either do a marathon earlier in the year or not do one at all and just do Dopey. You want to give yourself plenty of time to train right and to recover from any prior races in the runup to Dopey. Running a marathon is very taxing under the best of circumstances and there is always a risk of injury. It would be unfortunate to injure yourself in the fall just as you start your Dopey prep.

That's the wisdom from my experience at least. Two years ago, I ran a fall marathon and PR'd, then injured myself running a half marathon in November. My training for Goofy was limited while I managed the injury, and while Goofy went OK, I didn't run as fast as I might have, and I was nervous the whole time that the injury would derail me.

This year, I ran a fall marathon again and PR'd again, and again injured myself in the month after the marathon. Similar to 2016, I had limited training due to the injury and was hoping just to finish (I didn't get to run because of the weather).

The point is, a marathon is very taxing, and even if you feel healthy at the end of the race, it will have taken a toll on your body you might be unaware of, and that sets you up for a future injury. If I run marathon weekend again, I won't be running any fall marathons that year!
Thank you! This is definitely what I needed to hear. I have plenty of HMs and under planned for the year and once I start my marathon training I will solely be focused on that so I don't get injured. I am not planning on going crazy with PRs or anything for the Dopey, I just wanna have fun and finish!

I am going to come back for number 4, not totally sure it will be in 2019. But for now, because to think anything different is just not acceptable, I am coming back in 2019!

I am debating Dopey in 2019..... I have the London Marathon in the April....just worried its too much before that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!