Official Goofy 2018 Thread

That's the million dollar question...how do you train for Goofy? What's your strategy?
You basically are training for the marathon with a half the day before. First find a training plan, Galloway, Higdon, or something else. Once you have that you are pretty much set if you can follow it. Everyone does things differently so you'll need to find out what works best for you in terms of how many runs per week, hydration, and nutrition. Most plans not all have the marathon as your main event so you would take it easier the day before during the half.

That's the million dollar question...how do you train for Goofy? What's your strategy?
Personally, I think a marathon training plan is sufficient. I used this one for Goofy (and Dopey later on) and it was great for me: http://halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

I did shuffle the days around a bit to work better for my schedule, and I added in cross training (strength training/yoga). I also changed a couple of the weeks so that the two longer runs were done back-to-back to simulate Goofy (i.e. a 10-mile run on Friday and a 20-mile run on Saturday). I didn't do much of these (maybe 5?) - more for the mental confidence that I could do it and to see how my body reacted so I'd know what to expect.

For some people, what I did wouldn't be enough mileage. Some would prefer to do way more back-to-back runs. Some prefer a Galloway plan (he has a Goofy one - not updated for 2018 yet but you get the idea). It's all personal preference - what works with your schedule and what works with your body. What do you think you can realistically stick to? That's what I recommend considering when choosing a training plan. No one can (or should) tell you HOW to train - you know your body and your schedule best, so it's up to you! :)

I just ran my first legit HM this past weekend and my legs are still sore. How the heck am I going to finish Goofy?? :confused3

You trained for a HM and I'm going to assume you raced it (ran it to the best of your ability). That level of effort takes a lot out of your legs and they're going to be sore. For Goofy, you're going to train at least to marathon fitness, right? Your legs will be far more acclimated to the distance than they are right now. If your goal is to finish Goofy, the key is going to be to back off the pacing during the half marathon so they aren't so completely fatigued after that race. I've found Goofy and Dopey to be mostly an exercise in fatigue management. You don't want to "let 'er rip" during any of the races, just go out at slower, comfortable paces, enjoy the experience getting through all 39.3 miles to the finish line, and celebrate when you arrive upright!

ETA: As @rteetz and @Ariel484 have said, a marathon training plan should be perfectly sufficient to get you through Goofy.

I am in for Goofy 2018. Only wanted to do the Half, but waited too long to register. Seems to me this has happened before. Was hoping they would recognize the 2018 Half as the 20th running with a unique medal. I have enough duck heads hanging on the wall. Starting the Galloway plan today.

I was surprised Goofy was still available. Ten years ago Goofy was the thing to do. Guess it is Dopey nowadays! Wonder what's next.

So my Goofy story starts in January when I really committed to my crossfit workouts and decided I wanted to do a pull-up by my birthday in early March. Didn't happen despite being serious about workouts-- lesson learned that you shouldn't wait until 46 to try to do pull-ups. I was also continuing my running, doing halves #12 (Biltmore half, here in Asheville NC) and #13 (Star Wars, where an AP happened to come home with me). No pullup through July and somewhere I got the notion that maybe running longer distances for hours and hours would be easier than the three-second pull-up. I've run two fulls, three multi-day challenges, but no challenge with a full and no "feeling good at the finish" full. So after a particularly trying month, a friend mentioned she wanted to do a half at Disney. Hmmmmm.... found one half bib, Goofy still open. And since I've already bought the AP...

The other thing I signed up for is the Galloway personalized training. I've been a straight-through runner but getting just a bit slower each year. I've heard Jeff on podcasts and at the expos, plus read TRs here and online where people had big success w Galloway training. So committing to trying something else new this year. It's different than what I'm used to, although it's still early going. Here's hoping the slow-down-to-speed-up philosophy works!

I am in for Goofy 2018. Only wanted to do the Half, but waited too long to register. Seems to me this has happened before. Was hoping they would recognize the 2018 Half as the 20th running with a unique medal. I have enough duck heads hanging on the wall. Starting the Galloway plan today.

I was surprised Goofy was still available. Ten years ago Goofy was the thing to do. Guess it is Dopey nowadays! Wonder what's next.

The last few years Goofy has been the last to go, if it went at all. I think people either go full Dopey or just do the half or full.

The last few years Goofy has been the last to go, if it went at all. I think people either go full Dopey or just do the half or full.

I've always thought it odd, that this is a context where a full marathon could referred to as "just the full".
It does seem that goofy is the last to go which I've thought is odd. In my mind Goofy is really the bulk of the challenge. If you are trained up to run a good Goofy you aren't going to struggle with a 5k or 10k. Goofy lets you do the two big races and you don't have to take as much time off from work. I'm doing dopey this year but most years I just do goofy.

I've always thought it odd, that this is a context where a full marathon could referred to as "just the full".
It does seem that goofy is the last to go which I've thought is odd. In my mind Goofy is really the bulk of the challenge. If you are trained up to run a good Goofy you aren't going to struggle with a 5k or 10k. Goofy lets you do the two big races and you don't have to take as much time off from work. I'm doing dopey this year but most years I just do goofy.

Yeah those three extra days for Dopey can be killer, especially when the timing is right after the new year. My job makes it hard to take those first few days off so it's the Goofy for me this year. I'll probably do Dopey again once it moves back later in the month.

Yeah those three extra days for Dopey can be killer, especially when the timing is right after the new year. My job makes it hard to take those first few days off so it's the Goofy for me this year. I'll probably do Dopey again once it moves back later in the month.

I've got the opposite situation with work. Our plant normally goes into shutdown for maintenance activities mid-Dec to mid-Jan and is closed the week after Christmas through New Year's. So it's very easy for me to bridge that into a vacation across Marathon Weekend and if I'm going to go to the time and expense of a full trip why not go Dopey since it's not that much more difficult than Goofy. If you're limited to a weekender, though, I see the appeal of Goofy.

Originally wanted to do a Kessel run 2018 plus Paris, but my husband and I flew into Germany and decided bringing the 2 year old would be tough. Good thing too with the Light Sidea drama. At that time Dopey was sold out so I went for the Goofy.

Ran on and off since 2010, but nothing more than a 45 minute 5k. Once I was done having kids and breastfeeding them I got serious in 10/2015 (wanted I do the 10 miler which has since been canceled). Did the Wine and Dine challenge in 2016 and the half with my friend at the Dark Side weekend.

Its hot here in Florida but I'll start training here in a few weeks. Sounds like I've got to do a little more training! The most I've ever run is the half. May try for a 20 miler once or twice before January? I ran a 4 miler after the Dark Side and felt great soooo

Originally wanted to do a Kessel run 2018 plus Paris, but my husband and I flew into Germany and decided bringing the 2 year old would be tough. Good thing too with the Light Sidea drama. At that time Dopey was sold out so I went for the Goofy.

Ran on and off since 2010, but nothing more than a 45 minute 5k. Once I was done having kids and breastfeeding them I got serious in 10/2015 (wanted I do the 10 miler which has since been canceled). Did the Wine and Dine challenge in 2016 and the half with my friend at the Dark Side weekend.

Its hot here in Florida but I'll start training here in a few weeks. Sounds like I've got to do a little more training! The most I've ever run is the half. May try for a 20 miler once or twice before January? I ran a 4 miler after the Dark Side and felt great soooo

You might want to try at least one weekend with back to back long runs just to see how your body handles it. In the past I've done 10/16 and 10/20 miler plus. I don't know that you need to go super long on the second day.

It's been a dream of mine to do the Dopey Challenge, but had no idea of when I'd actually be able to make that trip a reality. I had no Disney plans (yet) for next year, and when I saw my chance to get away marathon weekend, without kids or guilt, I jumped on it! I'm in for Goofy! This is my first runDisney event! Now I'll read every trip report I can find and obsess over plans and when the best time is to go to expo so that I can buy all the things!

The Goofy is now sold out. The link is still active on the rD site, but when you get to the Active page it shows that it is sold out. I will be running both the half and the full this year, but I will not be Goofy. Well, I might be a little goofy, but I will not be Goofy.

:goofy:

The Goofy is now sold out. The link is still active on the rD site, but when you get to the Active page it shows that it is sold out. I will be running both the half and the full this year, but I will not be Goofy. Well, I might be a little goofy, but I will not be Goofy.

On reading your other post about running both, I was going to ask you why you weren't going Goofy. Sorry you couldn't get it. It might open up again.

You're Goofy enough for us! Seriously, Goofy is completed by running the half and the full, not signing up for the challenge online. The only thing missing is the bling. We will proudly include you in our numbers!

Signed up for Goofy for this year. My thoughts were sure, with the mileage training to run the Goofy, it would most likely transfer over to the Dopey as well. Me personally, I did not want to have to travel in that much earlier and commit to 4 early am wake-ups as I like to use the weekend to enjoy myself. As it is I'm nervous I won't be able to enjoy myself on Saturday after the half too much at all.

I’m not a fan of the medal. You might be able to claim mine at DATW on Monday if you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!