****Official January 2021 thread****

Today is my 180 day mark. Let me make my ADR's, Disney!!! :rotfl2:

If the wait times at Animal Kingdom this morning are any indication of how things will run throughout the Park Pass reservation time period, I'll be really excited. 20 minute wait for Flight of Passage and 5 to 10 minutes for everything else? Yes please!

Ok, it's only been open for 40 minutes and I'm sure more people will show up, but seems like you could almost ride everything in the first hour and be able to have a relaxing rest of the day enjoying the rest of the park.

Ok, it's only been open for 40 minutes and I'm sure more people will show up, but seems like you could almost ride everything in the first hour and be able to have a relaxing rest of the day enjoying the rest of the park.

I don't want to get in the way of your excitement, but I honestly feel quite differently. There is no way I could have a relaxing day in the park any time soon. Short lines for rides are nice and all, but not when there are 7,000 people in Florida hospitals with COVID-19 and 11,000 new cases daily.

I haven't cancelled our January trip yet, a lot can change in six months, but I won't be anywhere near Disney if things are similar in January.

I don't want to get in the way of your excitement, but I honestly feel quite differently. There is no way I could have a relaxing day in the park any time soon. Short lines for rides are nice and all, but not when there are 7,000 people in Florida hospitals with COVID-19 and 11,000 new cases daily.

I haven't cancelled our January trip yet, a lot can change in six months, but I won't be anywhere near Disney if things are similar in January.
I totally get what you're saying. We missed out on a May trip and didn't get to make the decision on our own, it was made for us. having the ability to make your own decision makes it better.

However, 4 months after the outbreak started in the US, I feel like science is making progress on the virus. We just need people to take better personal responsibility to protect themselves. Watching a livestream at Disney right now, it seems like people are able to maintain safe distance in most places. But yes, having 6 more months will make it easier to determine if a January trip is feasible.

Everybody's risk assessment will be different. Personally I feel a ton safer outside with breezes and no mask than inside with masks. Science is now backing up that the risk of outdoor transmission is low. If there are crowds then masks will keep that risk low. The media is keeping us in a constant state of high anxiety and FEAR, vs fact based reporting. Just my opinion but I do feel it is why we are seeing such a backlash to doing simple sensible things like just wearing a mask when around crowds or indoors. I know personally myself - while I do what I need to do like having and wearing masks-I still have a sense of rebellion about not wanting to do it. We did a road trip through South Dakota (& quick visit to Devil's Tower WY) last week, visited several National parks and state parks and lots of hiking-it was a HUGE mental health break to get away from the virus and constant anxiety inducing news. The most people we saw on the trails was climbing up to the base of Devil's Tower the day we went there (the parking lot at the base was being resurfaced and closed-so 1.5 mile trail UP all the way to base).

I am not at all anxious about going to Disney during this time, but after the freedom of our recent vacation I realized I don't want to be reminded everywhere to be constantly AFRAID of everything (masks! distancing! COVID WARNING!). I will wait.

I am not at all anxious about going to Disney during this time, but after the freedom of our recent vacation I realized I don't want to be reminded everywhere to be constantly AFRAID of everything (masks! distancing! COVID WARNING!). I will wait.
I understand that sentiment! Even if the virus is under control I can't see wanting to go if there are too many precautions in place, in particular the mask requirements. Not because I disagree with the precautions, it just doesn't seem like it would make for a fun vacation.

So having not been to WDW for a number of years I wasn't aware of the Festival of the Arts that is held in January. I don't see anything scheduled though. Anyone know if there are any plans to have it in 2021?
There's been no official announcement from Disney. This years festival started on Friday, January 17th. I would imaging next years starts around the same time, possibly Friday, January 15th.

Hard telling right now how things will play out come January with the festivals, etc. though.

There's been no official announcement from Disney. This years festival started on Friday, January 17th. I would imaging next years starts around the same time, possibly Friday, January 15th.

Hard telling right now how things will play out come January with the festivals, etc. though.
Thank you. When I was planning my trip I looked to see what events were happening in January and it never came up and that was months ago. I think if they have it when we are there my daughter might enjoy it.

Thank you. When I was planning my trip I looked to see what events were happening in January and it never came up and that was months ago. I think if they have it when we are there my daughter might enjoy it.
I went during FotA in January 2019 and loved it. We have a family trip planned in January 2021 when the festival would normally be happening and I planned it that way intentionally. We’ll see! 🤷🏻‍♀️

I really have been going back and forth on how I feel things will be for us to go in January. I was really hoping that by now things would be better and we would be over the hump of all of this. When we booked I really thought that would be the case. My DH says I should just not worry so much and just give it some time but I'm a worrier. Some days I really lean toward thinking we should reschedule but I don't even know how possible that is since we rented DVC points. I'm not even as worried about being in the park as I am the travel to Fla and being in the airport.

That's the tough part about renting points. If everything falls apart, what can you do with the reservation? I'm in the same boat, honestly. I hope something happens and soon, so I can stop worrying about this.

I really have been going back and forth on how I feel things will be for us to go in January. I was really hoping that by now things would be better and we would be over the hump of all of this. When we booked I really thought that would be the case. My DH says I should just not worry so much and just give it some time but I'm a worrier. Some days I really lean toward thinking we should reschedule but I don't even know how possible that is since we rented DVC points. I'm not even as worried about being in the park as I am the travel to Fla and being in the airport.
We haven't officially cancelled yet, but we will. We don't have much to lose in cancelling, about $600 in airline tickets that will likely turn into a credit rather than a refund, and a small currency exchange amount on the hotel deposit. It's too early to know what the COVID situation will be in Florida or at home come January, but I can't see how it would be an enjoyable trip. And I don't see how it would be responsible for us to go in terms of the potential impact to our community and close contacts. I figure there is a chance of getting a refund (rather than a credit) for the flights if the border is still closed by then or the airline cancels the flight, otherwise I would have already cancelled by now.

It's trickier since you rented DVC points. Of course it's "just money", but it does make the decision more stressful.

I've already booked an alternate trip within driving distance over the Christmas break. It's not certain either, but obviously way more likely to happen than Disney.

My husband and I are planning on a January 24-30 trip. This will be our annual adults only trip. Planning another one in May/June 2021 to celebrate my sons graduation.

With yesterdays updated park hours that Disney released, has anyone thought about cancelling or changing plans?

I know the hours are just posted through Oct 31st and they may change for the holiday season, but I can see January hours being the same as the updated hours.

I’ve already moved our trip back twice and really don’t want to do it a third time. The change in park hours seemed upsetting at first but ultimately I don’t think it will make a major impact on our decision to go. I think sunset during the middle of January is sometime around 6 PM so I guess we will get a little sliver of night time in the parks. I’m more upset about the lack of nighttime fireworks. We’ve been lucky to go a few times in the past few years and will have many more opportunities in the future...hopefully.

With all that said I am finally coming to terms with the fact that this will be a different type of Disney vacation. We have two little boys and usually do parks in the morning followed by an afternoon break but I suppose with the change in hours we will change that up this time around. We’re going in with different expectations and I think this trip will be the first one in which we weren’t always on the go go go. We’ll take it easy and just enjoy the break from reality being in Disney World.

Just booked a Jan trip today. Pretty excited.
CSR Gran Destino Tower CL

Of course I am hoping and praying things will settle down and the CL will be open.
I am also hoping the FoTA is going on, one of the reasons I booked at this time but I think the weather is a draw for me too. LOL.
Not really concerned about the park hours or even what will not be happening; I am an annual trip to WDW person so will also do what @JimTvette suggests - 'We’ll take it easy and just enjoy the break from reality being in Disney World' Getting the Disney fix.
It was fun to plan albeit the selections were limited but plenty for us.
More than likely will plan on another trip late in 2021, love the F&W event too.

Stay safe all! :flower1:

Joining this official/unofficial thread! Like most, we had to cancel our 2020 trip for various COVID-related reasons, but I officially booked and bought plane tix for January over the weekend! only 5 days, but our first adult-only trip, and celebrating our 10th anniversary and my husband's 40th....just all a few months late! We are totally cool with no fireworks, no dining plan, no meet and greets, etc. We'll roll with it, because most of that stuff we did for the kids anyway. And I can't wait to not sweat my butt off lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!