Official Upcoming RunDisney DISMeets Thread

OK. I think I've updated everything through today ... if you see your name missing, just let me know!

Why would you say that? I'm sure she'll be much faster than you give her credit for.

She's never actually done anything more than a marathon. Trust me, she knows she's going just for completion, and we do joke about her being chased by the balloon ladies all the time.

I know she'll make it, I have faith in that, but she knows she won't be going for any sort of records.

Event-Icons-Wine-and-Dine_200x200.png

2017 WDW Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend

Pre-Race Meets:
TBD

Post-Race Meet-Up:

Hurricane Hannah's Pre-Party Happy Hour!
Meet-Up Date:
Sunday, Nov. 5
Meet-Up Time: 7 - 8 p.m.
Meet-Up Location: Hurricane Hannah's at the Beach Club (Stormalong Bay pool bar)
Meet-Up Host: @Keels & Friends
More Info: Let's get together for a quick cocktail before the post-party at Epcot. As always, first drink is on your host ... there will also be official DISer "Drinking Around the World" lanyards for all attendees!
Attendees: @jeanigor +1, @flav, @mrsg00fy

I'm going to be on an airplane while you all meet up :(

Can you drink an adult slushie in France for me?

Event-Icons-WDW_200x200.png

2018 WDW Marathon Weekend

Pre-Race Meets:
** FULL INFORMATION INCLUDING MAPS HERE!!!**

Meet-Up Date:
Thursday, Jan. 4
Meet-Up Time: PRE - 4-5 am and POST - until 7am (FYI the buses do not start running back to the hotels until ~7am)
Meet-Up Location: PRE - Near ports-potties outside gear check (orange circle on picture below) and POST - At last set of bleachers nearest to exit (yellow X on picture below)
Meet-Up Host: @DopeyBadger
More Info: Come meet some friendly faces to help calm pre-race nerves and post-race swap stories of success!
Attendees: @DopeyBadger, @MommaoffherRocker, @camaker, @ZellyB, @Chris-Mo, @rteetz, @mrsg00fy, @MissLiss279, @drummerwife +1, @Anisum, @BikeFan, @Dr Q, @Dis5150, @Sailormoon2

Meet-Up Date:
Friday, Jan. 5
Meet-Up Time: PRE - 3:30-4:30 am and POST - until 7am
Meet-Up Location: PRE - Near ports-potties outside gear check (orange circle on picture below) and POST - At last set of bleachers nearest to exit (yellow X on picture below)
More Info: Come meet some friendly faces to help calm pre-race nerves and post-race swap stories of success!
Attendees: @DopeyBadger, @MommaoffherRocker, @camaker, @ZellyB, @Chris-Mo, @rteetz, @mrsg00fy +1, @MissLiss279, @drummerwife +1, @Simba's Girl +1, @Anisum, @BikeFan, @Dr Q, @Dis5150, @Sailormoon2

Half Marathon
Meet-Up Date:
Saturday, Jan. 6
Meet-Up Time: PRE - 3:00-4:15 am and POST - until 8:30am
Meet-Up Location: PRE - Past gear check into the "L" of ports-potties (orange X on picture below) and POST - At last set of bleachers nearest to exit (yellow X on picture below)
Attendees: @DopeyBadger, @MommaoffherRocker, @camaker, @BuckeyeBama, @ZellyB, @Chris-Mo, @rteetz, @mrsg00fy, @MissLiss279, @drummerwife +1, @Anisum, @BikeFan, @Dr Q, @Dis5150

Marathon
Meet-Up Date:
Sunday, Jan. 7
Meet-Up Time: PRE - 3:00-4:15 am and POST - until 12pm
Meet-Up Location: PRE - Past gear check into the "L" of ports-potties (orange X on picture below) and POST - At last set of bleachers nearest to exit (yellow X on picture below)
Attendees: @DopeyBadger, @MommaoffherRocker, @camaker, @BuckeyeBama, @ZellyB, @Chris-Mo, @rteetz, @mrsg00fy, @MissLiss279 , @drummerwife +1, @Anisum, @BikeFan, @Dr Q, @Dis5150, @Sailormoon2, @JClimacus, @sourire

Post-Race Meet-Up:

Hurricane Hannah's Half Marathon Happy Hour!
Meet-Up Date:
Friday, Jan. 5
Meet-Up Time: 2 p.m.
Meet-Up Location: Hurricane Hannah's at the Beach Club (Stormalong Bay pool bar)
Meet-Up Host: @FFigawi & @Keels
More Info: Join John & Keels for some fun in the sun as we all catch-up before the long races of the weekend. Drinks are on them, so be sure to join in to run up that bar tab. If you're lucky, they *may* be wearing matching shirts again in 2018!
Attendees: @ZellyB, @Chris-Mo, @courtneybeth +1, @FelisLachesis +1, @Anisum +1, @DopeyBadger, @MommaoffherRocker, @camaker, @BuckeyeBama (?), @mrsg00fy, @drummerwife +1, @jmasgat , @BikeFan, @Dis5150, @TeeterTots +1, @PCFriar80, @sourire, @Nole95 +1

Official 2018 "Drinking Around the World"
Meet-Up Date:
Monday, Jan. 8
Meet-Up Time: 11:30 a.m.
Meet-Up Location: Beer Cart at Canada (Which is dumb, because EVERYONE knows you start in Mexico, but it's not my meet-up so ... #RespectYourElders)
Meet-Up Host: @FFigawi
More Info: Marathon Weekend is done ... now it's time for the REAL challenge - Drinking Around the World! Personalized lanyards will be provided to track your progress ...
Attendees: @Keels, @ZellyB, @Chris-Mo, @mrsg00fy, @croach, Princess KP, @Dis5150 +1

I'll be running the marathon solo, so definitely will meet up pre-race! Would love to do HH, but we won't be on property until Saturday. Sadness. Thinking about DATW, but DH's medical issues may preclude participation. Double (possible) sadness. Thanks to all the organizers!

She's never actually done anything more than a marathon. Trust me, she knows she's going just for completion, and we do joke about her being chased by the balloon ladies all the time.

I know she'll make it, I have faith in that, but she knows she won't be going for any sort of records.

Thousands of people just want to finish, but that doesn't mean they're automatically super slow and being chased by the balloon ladies. I think you need to be more upbeat about how well she'll do. I bet while @Keels and I are hanging out in the finish area with our beers watching the last finishers come in, she won't be among them.

Maybe your girl is...a little more laid back than I am, and I know all relationships are different, but Mr. Ariel484 would be in big trouble if he joked with me about the balloon ladies (or put that kind of stuff out there on a message board).

Maybe your girl is...a little more laid back than I am, and I know all relationships are different, but Mr. Ariel484 would be in big trouble if he joked with me about the balloon ladies (or put that kind of stuff out there on a message board).
To expand on this point, training for any kind of race is a physical challenge, but it is also a mental challenge - especially Dopey/the marathon. I couldn't have gotten through it without a partner that was nothing but 100% supportive. :confused3 Just something to think about.

Thousands of people just want to finish, but that doesn't mean they're automatically super slow and being chased by the balloon ladies. I think you need to be more upbeat about how well she'll do. I bet while @Keels and I are hanging out in the finish area with our beers watching the last finishers come in, she won't be among them.

I want to be upbeat, but I also want to be honest with myself, and with her. She knows what she can do. I also know that her last Marathon run was in the 6:30 range, and that's a straight Marathon, no races in the days immediately preceding the race.

She's doing the Galloway training, and it's going well. She's been on point with the runs and the directions. Even so, the Galloway directions, themselves, state that all he's trying to accomplish with the training is completing all four races without going down.

She wants to finish, and I'm encouraging her as much as I can. I also know she's never run this much in her life, and it's a challenge. That's why it's called The Dopey Challenge, right? Finishing this would mean a lot to her, but I'm not going to go "you'll finish the marathon in 4 hours!" That's not realistic, that's not me.

You know when @DopeyBadger did his Milwaukee Marathon last week, and he did that little contest on predicting his finishing time? I honestly felt awful that I posted the highest prediction time. I looked at his data, crunched a few quick numbers, and that time is what I came with. I didn't want to be right, not at all. He wanted to run a sub 3:00 Marathon, and I was hoping that he would. I thought someone would come over me, maybe to be funny, but no one did.

Everyone has different goals. Finishing a marathon, just finishing, is an accomplishment a vast majority of people can't say they've done. I haven't, and I know I never will. I have physical limitations that can't ever let me see that goal. My girl has physical limitations, as well, but she tries really hard to the overcome the ones she can. There are some she can't, and it is what it is. Before anyone criticizes that we can, just that we won't, I never said won't.

Yes, she and I joke about some things all the time, and it seems some of those jokes don't translate well on here, and I apologize for that. Our senses of humor are rather dry, and, yes, there are people who don't like it, and that's fine.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread anymore, I've felt I've done too much derailing, already.

I want to be upbeat, but I also want to be honest with myself, and with her. She knows what she can do. I also know that her last Marathon run was in the 6:30 range, and that's a straight Marathon, no races in the days immediately preceding the race.

She's doing the Galloway training, and it's going well. She's been on point with the runs and the directions. Even so, the Galloway directions, themselves, state that all he's trying to accomplish with the training is completing all four races without going down.

She wants to finish, and I'm encouraging her as much as I can. I also know she's never run this much in her life, and it's a challenge. That's why it's called The Dopey Challenge, right? Finishing this would mean a lot to her, but I'm not going to go "you'll finish the marathon in 4 hours!" That's not realistic, that's not me.

You know when @DopeyBadger did his Milwaukee Marathon last week, and he did that little contest on predicting his finishing time? I honestly felt awful that I posted the highest prediction time. I looked at his data, crunched a few quick numbers, and that time is what I came with. I didn't want to be right, not at all. He wanted to run a sub 3:00 Marathon, and I was hoping that he would. I thought someone would come over me, maybe to be funny, but no one did.

Everyone has different goals. Finishing a marathon, just finishing, is an accomplishment a vast majority of people can't say they've done. I haven't, and I know I never will. I have physical limitations that can't ever let me see that goal. My girl has physical limitations, as well, but she tries really hard to the overcome the ones she can. There are some she can't, and it is what it is. Before anyone criticizes that we can, just that we won't, I never said won't.

Yes, she and I joke about some things all the time, and it seems some of those jokes don't translate well on here, and I apologize for that. Our senses of humor are rather dry, and, yes, there are people who don't like it, and that's fine.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread anymore, I've felt I've done too much derailing, already.

I think we are just so used to seeing all the people who've come here and had goals that they've completely smashed through hard work and positive thinking. And we've all each had our own set of doubts and limitations. But everyone here just really tries hard to help anywhere they can to help people set bars and surpass them. Even if it's going from a 6:30 to a 6:15 or going from a 4:00 to a 3:14.
We are cheerleaders around here. I know it's not always fun to be presented with sunshine and rainbows when things go wrong, but most of us around here will hand out silver linings whenever we can. I can see where that's temporarily annoying sometimes (especially after a "bad" race, etc. I've been there.) But in the long run it's a godsend to have the support :)

No lie ... that was a Top 3 moment from Marathon Weekend for me this year!

Pre-Race Meets:

Meet-Up Date:
Thursday, Jan. 4
Meet-Up Time: PRE - 4-5 am and POST - until 7am (FYI the buses do not start running back to the hotels until ~7am)
Attendees: @DopeyBadger, @MommaoffherRocker, @camaker, @ZellyB, @Chris-Mo, @rteetz, @mrsg00fy, @MissLiss279, @drummerwife +1, @Anisum, @BikeFan, @Dr Q, @Dis5150, @Sailormoon2

Meet-Up Date:
Friday, Jan. 5
Attendees: @DopeyBadger, @MommaoffherRocker, @camaker, @ZellyB, @Chris-Mo, @rteetz, @mrsg00fy +1, @MissLiss279, @drummerwife +1, @Simba's Girl +1, @Anisum, @BikeFan, @Dr Q, @Dis5150, @Sailormoon2

Half Marathon
Meet-Up Date:
Saturday, Jan. 6
Attendees: @DopeyBadger, @MommaoffherRocker, @camaker, @BuckeyeBama, @ZellyB, @Chris-Mo, @rteetz, @mrsg00fy, @MissLiss279, @drummerwife +1, @Anisum, @BikeFan, @Dr Q, @Dis5150

Marathon
Meet-Up Date:
Sunday, Jan. 7
Attendees: @DopeyBadger, @MommaoffherRocker, @camaker, @BuckeyeBama, @ZellyB, @Chris-Mo, @rteetz, @mrsg00fy, @MissLiss279 , @drummerwife +1, @Anisum, @BikeFan, @Dr Q, @Dis5150, @Sailormoon2, @JClimacus, @sourire

Post-Race Meet-Up:

Meet-Up Date:
Friday, Jan. 5
More Info: Join John & Keels for some fun in the sun as we all catch-up before the long races of the weekend. Drinks are on them, so be sure to join in to run up that bar tab. If you're lucky, they *may* be wearing matching shirts again in 2018!
Attendees: @ZellyB, @Chris-Mo, @courtneybeth +1, @FelisLachesis +1, @Anisum +1, @DopeyBadger, @MommaoffherRocker, @camaker, @BuckeyeBama (?), @mrsg00fy, @drummerwife +1, @jmasgat , @BikeFan, @Dis5150, @TeeterTots +1, @PCFriar80, @sourire, @Nole95 +1

Meet-Up Date:
Monday, Jan. 8
Meet-Up Location: Beer Cart at Canada (Which is dumb, because EVERYONE knows you start in Mexico, but it's not my meet-up so ... #RespectYourElders)
More Info: Marathon Weekend is done ... now it's time for the REAL challenge - Drinking Around the World! Personalized lanyards will be provided to track your progress ...
Attendees: @Keels, @ZellyB, @Chris-Mo, @mrsg00fy, @croach, Princess KP, @Dis5150 +1

Please add me to the 5K for Marathon weekend!

No lie ... that was a Top 3 moment from Marathon Weekend for me this year!

I'm hoping I'm not so completely exhausted after the marathon that we can hang out for a time this year. Most years, we just want to get on a bus and go lay down and usually we've got park plans too, but this year, we don't have anything going until our celebration dinner at V&A, so I really do want to cheer on other finishers. Assuming I'm not one of the last there hoping for a beer from @Keels and @FFigawi .

I know you said you don't want to derail, but I did want to say, you know your relationship better than any of us know it obviously, so you guys do you. And, I do think realism combined with encouragement is a tough balance sometimes. Anyway, I hope you guys have that right balance and I wish her all the best on reaching her goal. Just from my own experience, I recently realized I was capable of more than I gave myself credit for and the encouragement I got on here and most especially, the encouragement my DH provided during the run carried the day. I know you want her to succeed and I'm sure she knows that too!

I'm hoping I'm not so completely exhausted after the marathon that we can hang out for a time this year. Most years, we just want to get on a bus and go lay down and usually we've got park plans too, but this year, we don't have anything going until our celebration dinner at V&A, so I really do want to cheer on other finishers. Assuming I'm not one of the last there hoping for a beer from @Keels and @FFigawi .

Nah ... you'll be in the parking lot having a beer with us!!!

Pre-Race Meets:

Meet-Up Date:
Thursday, Jan. 4
Attendees: @DopeyBadger, @MommaoffherRocker, @camaker, @ZellyB, @Chris-Mo, @rteetz, @mrsg00fy, @MissLiss279, @drummerwife +1, @Anisum, @BikeFan, @Dr Q, @Dis5150, @Sailormoon2, @Pluto0809

Meet-Up Date:
Friday, Jan. 5

Half Marathon
Meet-Up Date:
Saturday, Jan. 6

Marathon
Meet-Up Date:
Sunday, Jan. 7
Attendees: @DopeyBadger, @MommaoffherRocker, @camaker, @BuckeyeBama, @ZellyB, @Chris-Mo, @rteetz, @mrsg00fy, @MissLiss279 , @drummerwife +1, @Anisum, @BikeFan, @Dr Q, @Dis5150, @Sailormoon2, @JClimacus, @sourire, @Mimsy Borogove

Post-Race Meet-Up:

Meet-Up Date:
Friday, Jan. 5

Meet-Up Date:
Monday, Jan. 8

Please add me for the 5K and 10K (my first ever, gulp!!!) I'll need all the pre-run pep I can absorb from you wonderful people!!!! :)

But only one. We don't want @ZellyB to fill up on beer and miss out on the wine pairings at V&A. This may or may not be one of the reasons our V&A dinner is always on Tuesday.

This is an excellent point! Not to mention I need to be able to recover enough to enjoy DATW on Monday. Clearly I need to up my drinking training along with my run training. I don't want to be underprepared.

I plan to be there in the mornings before the races! I’m probably a maybe for HH becasue my dads flight gets in around lunchtime and he needs to hit up the expo at some point that day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!