Official Wine and Dine 2017 thread

My wife and I enjoyed our W&D weekend! It was my 3rd...her second. We run the 10k together and she cheers me on for the half. The course was better than last year IMO but was it long to anyone else? I always run with my Apple Watch. The Nike+ app registered 13.93 miles!! Anyone else run with a GPS watch and have notice that discrepancy

My friend who runs with a Garmin watch also mentioned she thought the course was long. She said her watch was way ahead of the 13-mile marker. I just assumed it was from the weaving around people.

My friend who runs with a Garmin watch also mentioned she thought the course was long. She said her watch was way ahead of the 13-mile marker. I just assumed it was from the weaving around people.

My polar GPS watch gave me 13.35,that seems pretty spot on,its always going to be over the 13.1 so .25 over sounds pretty reasonable.

This was my Wife's an mine first DisneyRun, and her first Half Marathon. It was quite an experience, one I'm happy to have shared with her and all of you. Thanks so much for the tips, advice and encouragement. Here are a few thoughts and replies to others.
  • Expo went very well, we went Thursday late morning. I had read horror stories from last or earlier years, this seemed very smooth to me.
  • 3AM came very early. I don't really think this impacted our run; we managed to take most of Saturday off at Disney Springs, saw Thor and carboloaded at Wolfgang Puck's.
  • Walking out our door and into the brick wall of humidity wasn't a pleasant surprise.
  • Prepping, getting to the bus stop (3:15-30), getting to the start, bag drop all went well. Waited in line for Chef Goofy, by then we went to our corral.
  • I was in D, she in F. I stayed with her the whole time.
  • We had a wave rope about 4 rows of people in front of us, this was removed right as we approached the start line. It would have been nice to be in front as opposed to the back.
  • Enjoyed all of the on course entertainment, especially the Green Army Man on the ramp.
  • Didn't know the random people with the olde timey car were so rare and important.
  • Finished at 3:30 was supper proud of the Misses.
  • Picked up our medals, took pictures, got the gear bag and back on the bus with now problem.
  • Loved the name poles giving people a place to meet by last name, smart idea.
  • Back to the hotel, showered and headed out to our brunch reservation at California Grill.
  • The view here was worth the priced of admission in of itself.
  • Ran into @lovingeire after accosting her with "I know you from DisBoards" we had a nice conversation. She took the random encounter very well. And yes, we did get a nap in after some light MK touring.
  • After party was nice, waited in line for the Queen of Hearts. Wished I had spent that time in the Remmy or 3 Caballaros line. Went around the lagoon once got back to the hotel around 1130-midnight.
  • All in all a great experience. I think if the stars align right we're going to try it again next year
  • Editorial time: I'm far from the best runner maybe 10min/mile for the first 5, but ran 12s staying with my wife with negatives popping in for character stops and walking starting around mile 6
    • Dodging walkers before the first mile was really annoying, which was made even worse by people walking 4 abreast. I get this is a fun run but some etiquette appeared to be lacking.
    • One person was running through the pack dodging left and right to get back to his group, I assume, shortly after leaving the AK parking lot. He knocked into my Wife pretty good. I had half a mind to run up to him and say show some respect, you're not winning this race anyway... But decided against it.
    • The stretch of sidewalk between HS and EP on the river was totally inadequate to the task. Again people were walking and blocking the path from those that could run. I resigned to walking this whole path because it was such a pain.
    • I thought the course was very long too 13.7 on my Garmin. Spoke with a young woman from across the pond at Cali Grill Brunch who was in A corral. Her watch came in at 13.18 or 13.2 so it must have been all the dodging around. I told myself I wasn't going to do that but I guess I did...
Thanks for reading the brief report, we really did have a great time. See ya real soon.

13.47 on my end... not crazy for a half for me...

I don’t have a fancy running watch but via the Fitbit ap which I use the 10k eerily came in for me at 6.66

My Nike App failed me on the half but on the 10-K it had me at 6.46 miles. Between stopping for characters and not running the course perfectly (not to mention the potential inaccuracies inherent in GPS), that seemed about right to me.

Echoing everyone else's thoughts on the young man's death during the race. Very sad thing and my heart goes out to his family...

Also, I too came home with a cold. Fortunately it's not too bad, but no cold is very good!

Finally I really enjoyed my first Disney races. I'm bummed there are no longer any DL runs, as getting one of those "coast to coast" medals holds some appeal... Hopefully they bring them back in the future!

My wife and I enjoyed our W&D weekend! It was my 3rd...her second. We run the 10k together and she cheers me on for the half. The course was better than last year IMO but was it long to anyone else? I always run with my Apple Watch. The Nike+ app registered 13.93 miles!! Anyone else run with a GPS watch and have notice that discrepancy?
The course is USA Track & Field certified. It is measured such that if you take the shortest possible path, it'll come out to 13.1 miles. You will almost never run exactly 13.1 miles in a half marathon (or run the exact distance in any road race) unless you never weave, run the tangents perfectly, etc., which is nearly impossible.

If you at any point pulled off of the course to make a bathroom stop/character stop, weaved around other runners, etc., that added to your distance.

I had a GREAT time at the race! My only regret is not buying MORE merchandise... If anyone has a size medium ladies "I Did It!" purple half marathon shirt that you want to sell... message me! :cutie: I will pay $10 over the original price (plus your tax/shipping of course)!

The challenge was excellent and I enjoyed the race courses. Disney's wide roadways mean that if you're not "running the tangents" carefully, it's very easy to run really, really long... so I'm not surprised to see the Garmins showing longer distances.

I don't find the courses boring - I like the wide roads, palm trees, and people watching ... so I'm pretty much never bored at a Disney race. It's so different compared to my usual running route.

I agree the path between the Studios and Epcot area was way too narrow w/ the construction fences. That was a tight squeeze and felt almost dangerous with walkers/runners/dodgers fighting for space.

I felt great and negative split the half by a wide margin, mainly because I was stuck behind slower folks at the start, but also because I ran conservatively to ensure I enjoyed the race. And it worked - I had fun the entire time. I'm smiling and look ridiculously happy in almost every race photo!

I thought the expo was great: well-organized merchandise area, I loved the food/drinks area and spa. Hope they bring these back for the full Marathon in January!

Thumbs up for the sport beans!! Those are my fuel of choice so it was great to get some on the course.

When they originally revealed the medals I was meh about the half medal ... I retract that 100%! I LOVE the half medal and the challenge medal! I wore my half medal around the parks until I left on Wednesday. I tried to wear the half & challenge medals together but after one day my neck got sore... they were heavy!

I barely attended the post-race party ... I did a lap around World Showcase, but I was so tired after a full day at Magic Kingdom I did not have the stamina to wait in food/character lines. I did get one drink and enjoyed the dj and atmosphere, though!

As for the parks - I really loved Flight of Passage! Not mind-blowing but definitely my new Disney must-do. I thought it was really crowded, more so than I expected. Enjoyed seeing Boyz II Men at the Eat to the Beat concert and I am pretty sure I rode Expedition Everest with a few of the band members the next day...

This was my first wine and dine, and if possible I will definitely be back for this race next year. I think it's my new favorite!

:sunny:

My wife and I enjoyed our W&D weekend! It was my 3rd...her second. We run the 10k together and she cheers me on for the half. The course was better than last year IMO but was it long to anyone else? I always run with my Apple Watch. The Nike+ app registered 13.93 miles!! Anyone else run with a GPS watch and have notice that discrepancy?

Also, on a sad note, my wife saw the young man collapse at the finish line as she waited for me. It was a startling sight as we wore the same color shirt. Prayers for his family. Such a sad event.

~Matt
My Garmin said 13.30, so I believe the course was accurate.

Excellent!! See you next year?? :)
I don’t think I could pull this off twice... Days off work + vacation budget + leaving DH home with the kids :rolleyes1

I will take on more local challenges and work on increasing my speed, since there won’t be characters photos, DJ, gorgeous scenery... To stop for.

And maybe one day I will get this weird idea and register for Dopey...

because I ran conservatively to ensure I enjoyed the race. And it worked - I had fun the entire time. I'm smiling and look ridiculously happy in almost every race photo!
That is me too!
And now I am trying to do a little montage with those photos but cannot remember what were those songs they were playing on the stages and along the course... I remember thinking at the time how appropriate and inspirational they were... I remember the DJ saying “ and for the last time this weekend “ ... Anyone can tell me what the main songs were?

And now I am trying to do a little montage with those photos but cannot remember what were those songs they were playing on the stages and along the course... I remember thinking at the time how appropriate and inspirational they were... I remember the DJ saying “ and for the last time this weekend “ ... Anyone can tell me what the main songs were?

I do remember hearing "Almost there" from Princess and the Frog right about Japan or China. Love the song and it gave me good vibes coming around world showcase.

Idk what was spun during the half but the 10 played party in the USA a good amount cause we kept joking that a JZ song never was actually on

Normally I end up with an extra .5 - .7 for the Disney half marathons, but I was only at 3.22 for W&D. For other races my phone would give me the mile split well before the mile marker, which always a little depressing! Lol! So this was a nice change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!