Offsite then onsite, how to best buy tickets and use FP+?

akadada

Doin' It All for My Baby.
Here's our plan (already booked): Offsite near WDW for 4 nights (work provided); then checking in onsite for 6 nights.

We originally planned to NOT do WDW while offsite simply because I won't have any time while working and my family is totally fine with the resort pool and going to DTD or minigolf or the waterpark.

BUT some work colleagues are also planning family trips as well and spouses are talking about going to the parks while working spouses work and my family now wants to maybe join them.

Okay, so here's the confusion

1. I know we can't book FP+ until 60 days prior to checkin onsite, which is 4 days after we get there.

2. If I buy tickets for say 10 days, can we use them earlier than check in and NOT screw up our 60+ FP booking? Again, I know I can't 60 day FP+ the earlier 4 days, but if I buy a 10 day pass, can I still FP+ 60 days out for our on-site check in date, or will the system not let me do that? Or will the system not even care?

Or maybe it would work like this?

1. 60+ FP for on site check in days.
2. 30+ FP for offsite days (which are earlier)?

Does that sound right?

The only time tickets can't be used before an onsite stay starts is when they're part of a package, and even then, they can be activated up to 10 days before the start of the package, so question #2 isn't an issue.

I would buy your tickets separate from your room reservation, in other words avoid a room/ticket package. When you get to 60 days before your onsite stay's check-in date, you should be able to book FPs for all days of your stay including the days prior to that.

I would buy your tickets separate from your room reservation, in other words avoid a room/ticket package. When you get to 60 days before your onsite stay's check-in date, you should be able to book FPs for all days of your stay including the days prior to that.
This

I'm sorry, stupid question: how do I know if I have a package v. room? I bought just the room and during check out it asked if I wanted tickets and so I said yes...did I turn that into a package reservation?

I'm sorry, stupid question: how do I know if I have a package v. room? I bought just the room and during check out it asked if I wanted tickets and so I said yes...did I turn that into a package reservation?

I'm confused - I thought you didn't have tickets yet. You said that the room is already booked, but that you originally weren't planning on going to the parks.

I bought 7 days automatically when it asked me...I was just going to add up to 10 days later.

Now that we know you have a package, you will not be able to book FPs for your offsite days until you get to WDW. You'll need to activate your tickets upon arrival to be able to do so.

okay, so I think I can just cancel, then rebook it as a hotel. I try that now and let you know

Okay, so I was just able to rebook it as a hotel only. I thank you for the help.

So just to clarify, is this what I should do?

1. Book a room only - DONE
2. Buy tickets separately and link them to the room? QUESTION: When do I do that? Now or at 61 days or 64 days or sometime prior?
3. The system will then let me book 60 days out for the entire 10 days even though 4 days earlier we won't stay on site? Correct?
4. But I will only be able to book those earlier days (t-4 of 60) at my 60 day check in mark, correct? Not my 64 day mark (i.e. 4 days earlier offsite)? Correct?

Did I understand this correctly?

Thank you very much.

I believe you are correct on all counts. Buy tickets and link them to your MDX account (the same account you booked your room with) anytime before your 60-day onsite checkin day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter