Oh no! Where did the wine go? A food and wine dining report. FINAL SwoClassic and Parisian Breakfast

LOVE!!! I fell in love with Laila on my first trip and bought a bottle. Geir Ness happened to be there in the store at the time and he signed it for me. Although even sharpie tends to rub off glass bottles. I almost bought another bottle on my trip a few months ago and decided to walk away after picking it up a few times only to get home and realize that mine was nearly empty. Sad sad discovery. I've been tempted to just grab a bottle on amazon but I agree with Ariane, It's just not the same.
It isn't the same, but I find myself at Nordstrom from time to time. I feel so lucky about the bag, since it isn't available at Nordstrom

Oh how you have me missing Jiko! That curry really is to die for. They have definitely upped the ante after the last chef change. I've yet to have anything there since that wasn't eye-rollingly-good. Loving the reviews so far! Thanks for reporting :flower3:

Oh how you have me missing Jiko! That curry really is to die for. They have definitely upped the ante after the last chef change. I've yet to have anything there since that wasn't eye-rollingly-good. Loving the reviews so far! Thanks for reporting :flower3:
Everything we had was eye-rollongly-good. What a great way to put it. We hadn't been in years because we had been focusing on resorts we could walk to from Boardwalk, especially Swolphin places we love so much. Jiko is right back up there at the top of the list. Thanks for following along.

citrusy (if that is a word)
Definitely a word.

Your meals at Jiko's all looked amazing. while I try to think of myself as an adventurous eater, I don't think I'd ever be able to wrap my head around the idea of eating boar and I don't care for curry and *gasp* don't like wine.

Definitely a word.

Your meals at Jiko's all looked amazing. while I try to think of myself as an adventurous eater, I don't think I'd ever be able to wrap my head around the idea of eating boar and I don't care for curry and *gasp* don't like wine.
Don't like wine?? That's ok. I lve my cocktail and beer loving friends too. I am an equal opportunity drinker.

The wild boar sounds exotic, but doesn't taste like it. Give it a try some time.

Don't like wine?? That's ok. I lve my cocktail and beer loving friends too. I am an equal opportunity drinker.

The wild boar sounds exotic, but doesn't taste like it. Give it a try some time.
It really is shameful that I don't like wine. I have found one at Trader Joes that I like but it's really more like drinking boozy juice. I don't like beer either! I'll stick with my Dole Whip w/dark rum and Grand Marnier slush. I'm a simple gal and tend to lean toward rum & cokes and vodka lemonades HA

It really is shameful that I don't like wine. I have found one at Trader Joes that I like but it's really more like drinking boozy juice. I don't like beer either! I'll stick with my Dole Whip w/dark rum and Grand Marnier slush. I'm a simple gal and tend to lean toward rum & cokes and vodka lemonades HA
I was a vodka drinker for years. Vodka lemonade is my go to summer drink at home. Trust me, slushies from France will make an appearance here.

Don't give up on wine. There are many varietals of grapes and different wine making techniques that make them all taste different.

I Hope to get my Magic Kingdom up soon.

The boys had De Toren Delicate. This was a red blend of Malbec, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. One would think that the above blend, with the largest percentage being malbec, that this would be a heavy wine. It totally was NOT!! It was light, yet dry. I tasted cherry. Kicker is, this is served slightly chilled! Imagine that! A chilled red! It was really great wine. Also 90+ points. I just don't recall exactly. This is a perfect wine for a tropical climate. Again, SHELLY GOT GAME!!

Shelly is a phenomenal cast member! Jiko is a mandatory stop in each WDW vacation, the food coming from that kitchen is awesome and the restaurant atmosphere is very relaxing, especially after a full day in the parks. To top this, I now ask whether Shelly is on duty each time I check in at the podium. She is enthusiast about her customers, the menu and the wine list. First time I have been served by Shelly, I asked for one of the wine flights listed on the menu. “No, you won't order a wine flight,” she said. For a moment, I was very confused because I had never been denied an item by a server! “I will recommend you much better pairings for your appetizer and your entree,” she continued. For one moment, I wasn't sure, wondering whether she would point out the most expensive glasses. Oh no! She was very honest and the pairings were outstanding!

Last time, I agreed to wait 30 minutes before being seated because new guests could not be assigned to her for that time frame. I did not regret. She offered me the same De Toren Delicate, explaining that it is produced in small quantity by the wine maker and Jiko bought the entire production exported to the USA.

Looks like you all had a great meal at Jiko. We've had the De Toren wine before and loved it too. I really like how Jiko has different wines that are still approachable. We didn't get to Jiko on our trip, but if we had that seafood curry was on the top of my list. Glad it turned out as good as it sounded.

Love Jiko, though to be honest, we haven't been in a few years. We always put it on our list but wind up cancelling due to time constraints or wanting to try a new place. Their selection of S. African wines is superb. I'm not a sweet wine fan at all, though I realize they have their place in the wine universe. For momma2ethan, a good entry wine for those who have yet to acquire a taste is either an Auslese or Spatlese. They're too sweet for me but offer some lovely apple and/or stone fruit notes that pair well with spicy foods. As for the boar, it's a topnotch dish, and really, boar is little more than a pig. Boar just sounds more exotic. Love that appetizer!

Shelly is a phenomenal cast member! Jiko is a mandatory stop in each WDW vacation, the food coming from that kitchen is awesome and the restaurant atmosphere is very relaxing, especially after a full day in the parks. To top this, I now ask whether Shelly is on duty each time I check in at the podium. She is enthusiast about her customers, the menu and the wine list. First time I have been served by Shelly, I asked for one of the wine flights listed on the menu. “No, you won't order a wine flight,” she said. For a

Last time, I agreed to wait 30 minutes before being seated because new guests could not be assigned to her for that time frame. I did not regret. She offered me the same De Toren Delicate, explaining that it is produced in small quantity by the wine maker and Jiko bought the entire production exported to the USA.

Shelley is one of the best servers I have ever had. It makes sense that jiko purchased all of the US import of that wine. I have tried to locate some, and have not been able to. My husband and I traveled to the Philippines often. Mike only drinks red wine. It would be really nice to have some chill red wine on hot philippine days.
Looks like you all had a great meal at Jiko. We've had the De Toren wine before and loved it too. I really like how Jiko has different wines that are still approachable. We didn't get to Jiko on our trip, but if we had that seafood curry was on the top of my list. Glad it turned out as good as it sounded.
You have to have some of that curry. It is Chuck full of fresh seafood. I can't wait to go back to have it again. Jiko always has great wines. We typically do the wine Wednesday. We skipped it this year and went for dinner instead.

Love Jiko, though to be honest, we haven't been in a few years. We always put it on our list but wind up cancelling due to time constraints or wanting to try a new place. Their selection of S. African wines is superb. I'm not a sweet wine fan at all, though I realize they have their place in the wine universe. For momma2ethan, a good entry wine for those who have yet to acquire a taste is either an Auslese or Spatlese. They're too sweet for me but offer some lovely apple and/or stone fruit notes that pair well with spicy foods. As for the boar, it's a topnotch dish, and really, boar is little more than a pig. Boar just sounds more exotic. Love that appetizer!
We had not been to jiko in a very long time .We would go get our wine and cheese on wine Wednesday, and take the occaisional animal Kingdom culinary tour, but that was it. I am so glad we went back. The food was even better than ever this trip.I know you like wine, so you really need to make another trip there.

Thanks everyone for following a long. I have typed up my magic Kingdom skipper canteen lunch twice now, but somehow it keeps getting erased. 3rd time is a charm. You should see it soon.

That was weird how it posted my replies. Let me know if you can't see it.
That is weird, but I figured it out. ;) Yep, love me some wine, as I know you do, and S. African wines are terribly under appreciated. I'm especially fond of their whites, though the reds have tons of character, too. After reading your review, we simply must go back on our next trip. . .though that's likely, gulp, to be 2019. :( We're off to DL next summer.

Let me try this again. Our next day was at Magic Kingdom. Crazy me, I cancelled our Be Our Guest reservation thinking that we wouldn't want breakfast if we were eating lunch at Jungle Navigation Skipper Canteen. I was wrong. Everyone wanted BOG breakfast, and were disappointed when they found out I had cancelled. I had no idea Mike had told the nephew about their wonderful pastries.

Any way, we had lunch at Jungle Navigation Co. Skipper Canteen. We stepped into the nice air conditioned lobby, where citrus water was available in a large cooler. That was a wonderful touch, and perfect refresher for that hot day. We barely had enough time to get water before we were ready to be seated in the first room as you enter. The decor was nice, a bit kitschy and pretty darn cool. Our server was just the right amount of spunky, and a little snarky, enough to make it interesting without being obnoxious. We enjoyed her humor.

I couldn't pick an appetizer, so we had two. First up was Orinoco Ida's Cachapas - house made corn pancakes, mojo-braised pork, black bean salad, and avocado cream. This was really good, with plenty of pulled pork On top. I would definitely recommend of this appetizer. Mighty tasty.
skippercachacas.jpg

The second appetizer was S.E.A. SHU MAI - blend of pork, shrimp, edamame beans and spices wrapped in gyoza skin then steamed. This was the real winner here!! These Shi Mau were perfectly wrapped and stuffed full Of delicious meat. If anyone likes Chinese dumplings, this is the dish to get.
skippersiumai.jpg

I love all things noodle, especially ramen style soups. I ordered Nile Nellie's Noodle Bowl - Niles and Niles of rice noodles... fragrant broth served with choice of chicken or duck with jalapenos and fresh herbs. The fragrance was very strong lemon grass. I order the duck, which was very good and very rich. The top was covered with some greens, I think a mix Of parsley, basil and cabbage. I hear
this has been taken off the menu. Too bad because it had a complex flavor that you don't find elsewhere. I am looking forward to trying the new noodle dish, which is spicy with chiles not fragrant lemongrass. While the spicy is more my style, this light soup was a nice addition to the menu.
skippernoodles.jpg
Joaquin and Sally both had Tastes Like Chicken" Because it is! - crispy fried chicken with citrus and ginger-scented rice, chili glaze and seasonal vegetable. I scammed a taste from my nephew. What else are kids for right? This was really tasty crispy fried chicken. I would totally order this, even though I don't often order chicken out. The flavor was really really good. It totally took me by surprise.
skipperchix.jpg
Mike ordered the coolest dish out of all of us.Sustainable Fish - "Not Piranha," served over chinese broccoli, carrots, shiitake mushrooms and red bell peppers in a fragrant lemon grass broth. The lemon grass was much less prominent in the is dish. It Was absolutely delicious. The presentation was a fabulous whole fish, head and all. Mike lives the whole fish so tgis was amazing for him. The only thing about the presentation I didn't like was that some scales around the head hadn't been removed. Having scaled many a fish in my time, I am creeped out with scales. Other than that one picky thing. It was awesome and tasted wonderful
skipperfish.jpg
We really liked our first trip to the Canteen and plan to return.

Joining in a little late. Looking forward to more food and wine ( not just the festival though)

Glad you enjoyed Skippers :) DH and I went there once and I liked it but he wasn't impressed, most likely because he ordered a boring steak salad. He hasn't really wanted to return and the kids have no desire to go, but I'd like to try it again sometime.

I was wrong. Everyone wanted BOG breakfast, and were disappointed when they found out I had cancelled. I had no idea Mike had told the nephew about their wonderful pastries.
:duck: oops!

Your Skipper Canteen meal looks great! I was totally onboard with the ramen.... too bad they removed it from the menu! Your review definitely makes me want to return. We will have to find time for it!

Joining in a little late. Looking forward to more food and wine ( not just the festival though)

Never too late. Much more wine to go.

Glad you enjoyed Skippers :) DH and I went there once and I liked it but he wasn't impressed, most likely because he ordered a boring steak salad. He hasn't really wanted to return and the kids have no desire to go, but I'd like to try it again sometime.

Everything we ate was really good. Try to convince him to go back.

:duck: oops!

Your Skipper Canteen meal looks great! I was totally onboard with the ramen.... too bad they removed it from the menu! Your review definitely makes me want to return. We will have to find time for it!

The meal was fantastic. I hope the new noodle dish is a spicy ramen style not lo mein. If you like ramen try Morimoto Asia. All three ramen distress are fantastic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts