'Ohana Review

Nina-Marie

Earning My Ears
Since there has been a lot of talk recently concerning 'Ohana, I thought I would post our dinner review. Our seating was for a Wednesday night at 6:55. We were efficiently greeted for check in and seated promptly. The waiter asked if we had been there before - which we had not. Although he was friendly, he did not explain how dinner would be served which is a bit unconventional (but I did have a general idea from reading reviews). I could have used a bit of explanation and really since there was no menu I had to guess what everything was. He did have a the allergy chef come over since I'm allergic to tree nuts (including coconuts) and sesame. Both are laced through out the menu so we switched out some things and he made me a special beef serving. I was VERY grateful for the attention to detail. When taking drink orders, we were told that they did NOT have ginger ale which I thought was strange since apparently you can order a full drink menu. There was an entertainer playing ukulele and singing which was a bit loud but he had to be to be heard over the noisy restaurant. It was VERY loud but the tables still were nicely spaced. The food came out in stages which I found very rushed. The serving staff works ridiculously hard getting the food out fast to guests but I almost felt like it was a relay race. The food was excellent. It was seasoned great and just super yummy all around. Its all you can eat and we both couldn't believe the food they brought for the two of us. Now let me tell you, we don't eat like birds but there was WAY too much on our table. So much wasted delicious food it hurt my heart. Really, I feel like they bring you out so much so that you don't have to ask for more. In fact, our server rushed by us, never asked if we needed anything and just poured more pop and rushed off. The whole dinner took exactly 1 hour and that's with me having special things cooked.

So I can say the best thing at 'Ohana's was the food. It was amazingly yummy and I love how even with my crazy allergies they handled it like it was no problem. That said - I planned a nightly sit down meal so I could sit down and relax after a long day in the parks. This was NOT that experience. This was more of a hurry up, eat up so we can get our next seating in experience. Thinking back, our server although hard working, friendly and efficient at food running did not take one extra moment than was necessary - not explaining what we were going to eat, not getting the ginger ale that was wanted, not just checking to make sure we had everything that is needed. But this is the kind of place that would be perfect for families with little children because the food is fast and brought out constantly. Not to mention no matter how they behaved the place is so loud nobody would notice.

Yes there was - way on the other side of the restaurant. The singer brought up people who had birthdays and gave them leis. Then - I believe - taught them a dance. No races though. You could hear the singer's voice though the PA but really I could just get a glimpse of what was going on. My husband even asked - are they doing something new?

Since there has been a lot of talk recently concerning 'Ohana, I thought I would post our dinner review. Our seating was for a Wednesday night at 6:55. We were efficiently greeted for check in and seated promptly. The waiter asked if we had been there before - which we had not. Although he was friendly, he did not explain how dinner would be served which is a bit unconventional (but I did have a general idea from reading reviews). I could have used a bit of explanation and really since there was no menu I had to guess what everything was. He did have a the allergy chef come over since I'm allergic to tree nuts (including coconuts) and sesame. Both are laced through out the menu so we switched out some things and he made me a special beef serving. I was VERY grateful for the attention to detail. When taking drink orders, we were told that they did NOT have ginger ale which I thought was strange since apparently you can order a full drink menu. There was an entertainer playing ukulele and singing which was a bit loud but he had to be to be heard over the noisy restaurant. It was VERY loud but the tables still were nicely spaced. The food came out in stages which I found very rushed. The serving staff works ridiculously hard getting the food out fast to guests but I almost felt like it was a relay race. The food was excellent. It was seasoned great and just super yummy all around. Its all you can eat and we both couldn't believe the food they brought for the two of us. Now let me tell you, we don't eat like birds but there was WAY too much on our table. So much wasted delicious food it hurt my heart. Really, I feel like they bring you out so much so that you don't have to ask for more. In fact, our server rushed by us, never asked if we needed anything and just poured more pop and rushed off. The whole dinner took exactly 1 hour and that's with me having special things cooked.

So I can say the best thing at 'Ohana's was the food. It was amazingly yummy and I love how even with my crazy allergies they handled it like it was no problem. That said - I planned a nightly sit down meal so I could sit down and relax after a long day in the parks. This was NOT that experience. This was more of a hurry up, eat up so we can get our next seating in experience. Thinking back, our server although hard working, friendly and efficient at food running did not take one extra moment than was necessary - not explaining what we were going to eat, not getting the ginger ale that was wanted, not just checking to make sure we had everything that is needed. But this is the kind of place that would be perfect for families with little children because the food is fast and brought out constantly. Not to mention no matter how they behaved the place is so loud nobody would notice.

There should have been no feelings of being rushed. It is 'family style' so yes, the food does mostly all come out at one time. Can't understand you feeling rushed if the server hardly even came to your table! :confused3 We always take all the time we want - are leisurely diners - and no one has ever said, or in anyway hinted that we should leave.

We were there two weeks ago for our maybe 20th trip (many years and visits worth), and everything was great. We never have any complaints - had a refill on wings and dumplings as those are my favorites.

True, being a very large room, and the meats being grilled right there, it is very noisy. The singer also added to that, also the coconut races for the 'littles', but we can just tune it out and have a relaxing dinner. Glad you enjoyed the food - we agree!

I agree with you 100%. Yes, they do rush everything and like you said, probably to get the next set of people to sit at your table. The minute you sit down they bring the appetizers and salad and you are barely done with those and they are bringing over meat/shrimp. The last time we were there it took around an hour to eat also.

North of Mouse - the reason we felt rushed when our server hardly ever came to our table is because the food was brought by other servers. Like I said - it felt like a relay race. I saw other tables getting warm towels to clean hands but we never saw our server to even ask. He brought the bill and left. Now I understand we could have stayed longer but when the food is being rushed to you - as well as the bill - you get the hint. Obviously this is my opinion, so I totally understand if you don't agree. We're here for 10 days so have had many table service meals - they all took 1.5-2 hrs except this one.

We were well served last trip. Dude kept coming and would not stop calling me "cousin". We had fun.

We have been to Ohana countless times over the years. I am always surprised when I read people saying that they felt rushed as that is one thing that has never happened to us. A few times, we have had the opposite experience—where the meal moved too slowly and we wound up spending hours there.

However, we have had not-so-great service on a few occasions. Last trip, we had a bad round of drinks and that never happened to us before. But we have always had good food—delicious and well-prepared.

I think it depends on the time of year you go. I've had some good experiences and some not so good. The last time we were there, our server had us settle the bill before desert was served. That was a little off-putting.

Thank God there is finally a good Ohana review again! I've been hearing the Ohana is in another slump again, thank you for breaking the chain of bad reviews. Also, I didn't read anything about the bread service, so if they skipped you then that was a crime. When you go back be sure to ask for their bread service. IT IS DEVINE.

I'm used to getting 'Ohana's food all at once because we've ordered it from room service in the past but are going to the actual restaurant this summer. My juvenile companions are not interested in the coconut game or hula lesson so you just gave me a good tip as to where to ask to sit:). Oh and we plan to drink copious amts of POG juice with seltzer/club soda on the side; wuvv that stuff!

Do you recall if the salad was dressed when you received it? I like to mix it into the noodles but am not sure when it's served at the restaurant.

I plan to dedicate 2 hours to eating there since I enjoy eating in a leisurely fashion. Our ressie is for later in the evening (9:45 P) after the fireworks and bedtime of many of the littlest ones so I expect it'll be a tad quieter than earlier in the night.

Glad that all in all you liked the food but sorry you felt rushed.

I thought your review largely reflected by own experiences (Ohana every trip). Have you been before? I wonder if they really only explain how the meal works to first timers, although it should be explained to everyone.

I always advocate eating dinner early (i.e. 5), as a lot of issues with waiting a long time to get seated and being rushed seem to be mostly avoided.

I do like how much space there is in there, they could easily squeeze in more people if they so chose.

The service can be inconsistent and disorganized, but otherwise I consider it a must do place!

I completely agree with you about the feeling of being rushed. When all your food is basically brought out at once, it does give one a "rushed" feeling, like they want you to eat and then get out of there ASAP! Our worst experience with my perceived rushed feeling was at our breakfast reservation two years ago. That was our first time at 'Ohana for breakfast, and will probably be our last. We've been for dinner many times, and sometimes we have a great & attentive server, and sometimes not, but I do feel the process is to get you in, fed and out, as quickly as possible. Having said that, we always enjoy the food!

Concerning the bread service....since I was allergic to the coconut in the bread I didn't have any. My husband did love it!

Concerning the bread service....since I was allergic to the coconut in the bread I didn't have any. My husband did love it!

Can you share what food your allergens were in that you needed a substitution? My DD has the same allergies and the only thing they changed was not put the sesame on the chicken wings.

Thank you for the review. I have noticed with Ohana breakfasts it all comes down to the server if you feel happy and/or rushed or if you can enjoy. And the service is VERY hit or miss there!

I am allergic to sesame, peanuts, and tree nuts which includes coconuts. Of all the restaurants we ate at in our 10 day stay at WDW, this is the one that caused the most problems. Still the allergy chef had no problem substituting for me - getting regular rolls for the bread - no peanut sauce for me - sigh - made special meat since it was marinaded in sesame oil and changed out the desert for a banana bread with ice cream (which wasn't at all to my taste so I felt bad they brought it). We ate at Boma's and it was easy to find things to eat on the buffet. We also ate at Tiffins and Flying Fish both of which had to come up with something new for a bread service. Since really I'm not a big bread eater, I felt terrible that they went out of their way. Oliver at the Flying Fish literally went over to the boardwalk bakery to get me some nice bread. I told my husband - I'll be glad to get back home where I don't have to dissect every dish I eat with the server or chef. At our home restaurants, I tend to eat the same things which I know I love and are safe.

The Place has always been consistent, and well above average on all accounts...

We've eaten here 7 times, @ different times of the year, different times of the night, and in different sections of the restaurants. Also with many different sizes of our groups. Ranging from 4 diners, all the way up to 17.

Once seated, we are always promptly greeted by the incredible bread service. Drinks also came at a reasonable pace as well.

Now the next phase of the meal has changed from time to time throughout the years, but we enjoyed it a lil more when they had the lettuce wraps.. The wings and dumplings have always been top notch as were the shrimp and meat...
Never did we feel rushed, but I'm sure some can get that impression because it is done differently here than other TS's
Once finished, we get to indulge ourselves on probably one of THE best desserts on property, with the BREAD Pudding....It' just stinks that they can't do that part 1st.:scratchin:cake::rolleyes1

P.S. We haven't eaten there since summer of 2015, so We are using this as our kickoff dinner come summer....We can't hardly wait...:teeth:

Thanks for the review, OP. We will be going on a Wednesday at 6, when MK closes early and there are no fireworks (I think it's MNSSHP or something). Hopefully, the servers won;t rush to get us out for the "fireworks viewing".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!