Ohio DVC Owners

New AKL family from NE Ohio here!

We used to love flying airTran out of Akron/Canton but since Southwest acquired them we have been flying Spirit or Frontier out of CLE. I don't mind driving (nor the kids), but my wife is a handful by hour 4.

I was contemplating doing a 10-day trip and driving. Are there any midpoint cities that you like to spend the night / visit? Or, do you just drive straight through?
We tend to drive straight thru. It's an adventure. You have to know your limits to do it.

My mom and I drove down with my younger brothers in June to go to Siesta Key (a non-Disney trip to my demise) but, I did enjoy the ability of controlling how much driving you want to do at a time. 😊

DH and I are from Northeast Ohio and proud Hilton Head owners for nearly 20 years. I tried to talk DH into Boardwalk but one stay on cash at HH and he was sold. It was the only way I could get him to buy into DVC and now he is the one that insists on park vacations. Sigh. Gotta love him! We have a one night stay at the Poly before a Royal Caribbean (Harmony of the Seas) cruise in May and then we are planning a week's stay at (hopefully) AKV - one of our favorite resorts for our 27th anniversary in November.

How many of you are planning a trip for Disney's 50th?

DH and I are from Northeast Ohio and proud Hilton Head owners for nearly 20 years. I tried to talk DH into Boardwalk but one stay on cash at HH and he was sold. It was the only way I could get him to buy into DVC and now he is the one that insists on park vacations. Sigh. Gotta love him! We have a one night stay at the Poly before a Royal Caribbean (Harmony of the Seas) cruise in May and then we are planning a week's stay at (hopefully) AKV - one of our favorite resorts for our 27th anniversary in November.

We are planning a trip in Dec. 2021 for the 50th anniversary and my 40th birthday.

I would love to plan a trip for the 50th! I will probably bank and borrow for a longer stay so we can really enjoy it!

Cincinnati owners here! We own at Animal Kingdom, Beach Club and Aulani. We fly now since it's just two of us now (boys grew up and moved out) and we always fly out of CVG using Delta. When we drove we usually stopped outside of Macon Georgia as a good breaking point. It actually wasn't a bad drive.

Cincinnati owners here! We own at Animal Kingdom, Beach Club and Aulani. We fly now since it's just two of us now (boys grew up and moved out) and we always fly out of CVG using Delta. When we drove we usually stopped outside of Macon Georgia as a good breaking point. It actually wasn't a bad drive.

Thanks! We are always looking for a good place to stop and spend a day.

I was contemplating doing a 10-day trip and driving. Are there any midpoint cities that you like to spend the night / visit? Or, do you just drive straight through?

We usually stop somewhere in Columbia, SC or Savannah, GA. The farther the better IMO.

On the way home we usually stop at Charlotte or Statesville in NC.

Our next trip will be in 2022. The contract I am buying does not have any points until 2021. My plan is to bank 2021 points and borrow 2023 points so we can stay in a 2BR villa At BLT for a week.

Driving down, we try to get there with little rest time (quick overnight).

It is a little off the beaten path, but we stayed on the beach of Tybee Island in Georgia on the way back one year and it was nice.

We're near Columbus. Our first trip we flew, but being a family of six we could either afford to fly or DVC 😂

We have been driving down one to two times a year since 2004. We like to drive down 77 and typically do the drive straight thru. When we do stop we choose to do so at the Drury Inn & Suites in Valdosta. We utilize their kick-back dinner ad drinks and then breakfast and then a shorter drive in the morning to the Magic!

Hello! Thanks for starting this thread. We are from the east side of Cleveland and have been owners at SSR for about 3 years. Our preferred airport is CLE (if the price is right) but often fly out of PIT for direct flights (we love flying Southwest!) I was just there last week for the Princess 5K and our next family trip is in 3 weeks for Spring Break.

Stacey

Home is Columbus and the Poly for our family! I come from a long line of Buckeyes, and we bought into DVC in 2017. Our two daughters have only ever flown on our WDW trips, and it's always Southwest direct CMH-MCO. We drive to the Florida 30A area every summer, but have never driven all the way to Orlando. That SW flight is just too easy, and often reasonably priced.

We are based in Columbus, for now.
Own at BCV and travel to WDW spring and fall because we live in Lakeside, OH during the summer months.
Southwest out of CMH are the easiest flights for us.
We used to spend a week at Lakeside every summer growing up, just like my mom's family did when she was a kid. Wonderful place to spend that summer family time. Now we have a family home across the peninsula on Sandusky Bay now, and we always swing by Lakeside to pick up donuts at The Patio. 🍩

Last edited:
We're near Columbus. Our first trip we flew, but being a family of six we could either afford to fly or DVC 😂

We have been driving down one to two times a year since 2004. We like to drive down 77 and typically do the drive straight thru. When we do stop we choose to do so at the Drury Inn & Suites in Valdosta. We utilize their kick-back dinner ad drinks and then breakfast and then a shorter drive in the morning to the Magic!
We always take I-77 as well from Cleveland. Savannah is the farthest we have made it the first day.

Hello! Thanks for starting this thread. We are from the east side of Cleveland and have been owners at SSR for about 3 years. Our preferred airport is CLE (if the price is right) but often fly out of PIT for direct flights (we love flying Southwest!) I was just there last week for the Princess 5K and our next family trip is in 3 weeks for Spring Break.

Stacey
We live in Chardon. I always check Pittsburgh too. I would even consider Columbus, Buffalo or Detroit if a direct flight was considerably cheaper. The return flight would have to land in time for me to drove home though.

I have thought in the past of going through our Toledo airport and flying Allegiant to SFB and then renting a car but when I've looked, it doesn't seem to be any cheaper than us using DTW or CLE.

I have thought in the past of going through our Toledo airport and flying Allegiant to SFB and then renting a car but when I've looked, it doesn't seem to be any cheaper than us using DTW or CLE.
Allegiant flies out of Cleveland too. The problem is that it does not arrive until 11:39 PM. I think the car rental counters close at midnight there. Not much time left to get car.

Thank you for starting this thread.

We’re Polynesian owners from Southern Ohio (about 2 hours from Columbus and 2 hours from Cincinnati). We have flown Southwest and Spirit from CMH to MCO. We’ve flown Allegiant out of HTS (Huntington, WV) which is only a 45 minute drive opposed to the 2 hour drive to Columbus. However, they fly into Sanford so we have to rent a car rather than ride DME.

We have driven several times. We have stayed in Savvanah, GA a couple times. We have also stayed in Columbia, SC. On the way home, we like to stay at the Drury Inn and Suites in Charlotte, NC. We’ve also traveled straight through a couple times; however, that’s not always the best idea with kids. We like staying at the Drury because dinner and breakfast are included and the kids burn some energy by swimming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter