Ok, one more- looking for Rainforest Cafe bread recipe

Amy1013

Earning My Ears
I had such luck with getting the beignet recipe earlier, that I thought I'd try once more with another recipe request. This one may be a bit of a long shot but, I'm looking for a recipe for these wonderful dinner rolls I had recently at the Rainforest Cafe, at the Disneyland location. They were hard rolls and had rosemary in them and a butter/garlic salt sort of coating on the outside- they were amazing. I ate mine, my husband's and begged my son's off of him, lol. I've searched Margie's wonderful recipe site, but didn't find anything listed there for these, unless I was looking in the wrong place. Is there any hope out there that someone knows about these rolls and has a recipe at least similar to them? Thanks!

Amy

Amy - here are two recipes that might help you.

You could take from each one what you need to come up with
what you are looking for. I've never eaten at RFC so I
have no idea if either of these will do.

They are both at the King Arthur Flour website (along with a
lot of great recipes)

http://www.bakerscatalogue.com

Good Luck!

Rosemary Potato Rolls
These moist rolls are fantastic with chicken or egg salad for a quick and easy (but still elegant) summer lunch.
Dough
1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) water
2 tablespoons (7/8 ounce) olive oil
3 cups (13 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 tablespoons (5/8 ounce) Baker's Special Dry Milk or non-fat dry milk powder
1/4 cup (1 1/2 ounces) potato flour OR 1/2 cup (1 ounce) potato buds
1 tablespoon (3/8 ounce) sugar
2 teaspoons fresh or dried rosemary, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast

Topping
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons kosher salt
Place all of the dough ingredients into the pan of your bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select the dough or manual cycle, and press Start. Check the dough's consistency about 7 minutes after the kneading cycle begins, adding additional water or flour to form a soft, smooth dough. When the cycle is complete, transfer the dough to a well-floured or lightly greased work surface. This dough is quite sticky, so be prepared with extra flour. Fold the dough over several times to expel any excess carbon dioxide, then divide it into 12 equal pieces. Let the pieces relax for 10 minutes or so, for easier shaping.

Roll each piece into a 10-inch rope; coil each rope (like a sleeping snake), and tuck in the end so that it pokes up through the middle. Place the rolls about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet that's been lightly dusted with cornmeal. Cover them with a proof cover or with greased plastic wrap, and let them rise for 45 minutes, or until they've doubled in size.

Brush the tops of the risen rolls with beaten egg, and sprinkle them lightly with kosher or another coarse salt. Bake them in a preheated 375°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they're golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and allow them to cool completely before serving. Yield: 12 rolls.
Nutrition information per serving (1 roll, 63g): 158 cal, 3g fat, 5g protein, 27g complex carbohydrates, 1g sugar, 1g dietary fiber, 18mg cholesterol, 375mg sodium, 392mg potassium, 15RE vitamin A, 1mg vitamin C, 2mg iron, 23mg calcium, 64mg phosphorus

This recipe reprinted from The Baking Sheet (r) (Vol. XII, No5, Summer 2001 issue). The Baking Sheet is a newsletter published six times a year by The Baker's Catalogue(r), P.O. Box 876, Norwich, Vermont 05055. (The Baking Sheet and The Baker's Catalogue are both registered trademarks of The Baker's Catalogue, Inc.)

Soft Garlic Knots
Drenched in garlic and dripping olive oil, these soft rolls aren't for the faint-of-heart!
Dough
3 1/4 cups Mellow Pastry Blend or 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup Baker's Special Dry Milk
3 tablespoons potato flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons instant yeast
3 tablespoons Lora Brody Dough Relaxer(tm) (optional)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons Pizza Dough Flavor
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup + 2 tablespoons lukewarm water

Glaze
2 to 4 cloves peeled, crushed garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil or garlic oil
1/2 teaspoon Pizza Seasoning or Italian seasoning
Dough: Whisk the dry ingredients together to prevent the potato flour from clumping when liquid is added. Stir in the olive oil and water, then mix and knead - by hand, mixer, or bread machine - to form a smooth, elastic dough, adding additional water or flour as needed. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover it, and allow it to rise for about 1 hour, until it's doubled in bulk.

Shaping: Divide the dough into 8 pieces, and roll each into a rope about 10 inches long; tie each rope into a knot. Place the knots on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, cover, and let rise for 45 minutes to about an hour, until very puffy looking.

Glaze: Whisk together the garlic, oil and seasoning. Set it aside.

Baking: Bake the knots in a preheated 350°F oven for 15 to 18 minutes. They should be set, but only very lightly browned. Remove the knots from the oven, and brush or drizzle them with the seasoned oil. Eat the knots warm. Yield: 8 garlic knots

Copyright 2001, King Arthur Flour Co. All rights reserved.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just realized these are soft rolls - well do you have a recipe for crusty french rolls? If so add rosemary and during the last minutes of baking make a butter & garlic mixture and put that on.

Here is a site I found, but I have not been able to access it for some reason:

www.fabuloustravel.com/gourmet/travel/rainforestcafe/rainforest.html

Thanks again, dt! Both those recipes look great and I think I will take your advice and sorta blend the two together, and maybe I'll come up with something close. I'm sure I have a recipe for crusty french rolls. Thanks for the links to the websites- I'll be sure to check those out, too. You've been awesome!

Amy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter