• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OKW experts -advice please!

raftislander

Mouseketeer
I have just booked a studio near Hospitality House for Aug.31 - Sept. 10, 2013, for a trip with my DD19. I am a relatively new DVC owner and this is our first stay at OKW and our first time going to WDW at this time of year (our home resort is VGC). We have only visited WDW in early Spring and early December. I told my daughter that it will be hot & humid with rain squalls, but she really wants to go when it will be hot. I am not the best in heat/humidity. :sad2: So this trip will have lots of pool and relaxation time and less park time. That is one reason I picked OKW- it looks like a beautiful place to relax. Am looking for any advice about room/building requests I should make. Either rooms/buildings to ask for or ones to avoid. Are the buildings in the teens generally better than the ones in the 20s? Am debating whether to rent or car or leave the transportation up to Disney so would also appreciate any thoughts on that issue. I know she wants to see La Nouba so does the boat bus service from DTD run late enough to get us back from that? Any OKW advice will be appreciated!

We were in a 2 bedroom, third floor bldg 13. We loved it...close to bus stop and main bldg, beautiful view. Highly recommend 11-12-13. Not sure about 14 since some rooms would face the main entrance. We'll try out the 20's next time as they have the only GV in HH category's

Avoid the side of building 14 that is right beside the entrance to the resort. Every bus that enters and exits OKW stops at a stop sign right outside of those villas in building 14. The noise from the buses was so loud and so constant. We had to end up changing buildings.

Studios are usually on the ends of the buildings, and don't have the best of views no matter which one you stay in. Buildings 11 to 14 are the very closest to the hospitality area, but bldgs 23 to 26 are very convenient as well, and are closest to the first bus stop within OKW. Personally, I think that bldgs 23 to 26 are a little quieter than the others because the area right at the Hospitality house can be congested with parking and the DME busses coming and going.

But basically, at OKW, a studio is a studio is a studio...

I would rent a car, it's just more convenient for me to have one when I am OKW.

I would rent a car, it's just more convenient for me to have one when I am OKW.

I usually drive to Florida with a couple of people, so I do usually have a car. But last trip, I decided to fly since it was cheaper than driving solo. I was in bldg 35 across from the Turtle Pond bus stop. It wasn't bad at all using the bus system, and I did hike to/from the general store every day to get some small packages I had sent over from the parks. If I were traveling with small babies or toddlers that required a lot of things like diaper bags, strollers, and so on, I think having a car would be more convenient. For a family where all are healthy and ambulatory, the bus system works OK.

I think for La Nouba, if it is a late show, you'll need to use the bus to return rather than the boat...also boat service is suspended in the rain or if there is lightning in the area.

Highly recommend 11-12-13. Not sure about 14 since some rooms would face the main entrance.

On the OKW lovers thread, someone said that when staying in this section she had difficulty finding parking during the day due to guests driving to the main pool and parking in this area. Only saw that comment once- did you have this issue?

Avoid the side of building 14 that is right beside the entrance to the resort. Every bus that enters and exits OKW stops at a stop sign right outside of those villas in building 14. The noise from the buses was so loud and so constant. We had to end up changing buildings.

Studios are usually on the ends of the buildings, and don't have the best of views no matter which one you stay in. Buildings 11 to 14 are the very closest to the hospitality area, but bldgs 23 to 26 are very convenient as well, and are closest to the first bus stop within OKW. Personally, I think that bldgs 23 to 26 are a little quieter than the others because the area right at the Hospitality house can be congested with parking and the DME busses coming and going.

But basically, at OKW, a studio is a studio is a studio...

Thank you, everyone for your replies and the information. So just NOT Building 14 and the remainder of the options are relatively equal. Looks like it will be pretty easy to get a good room here. Glad to know that a car is not absolutely necessary. We stayed at AKV in Dec and really liked having a car there. Might just depend on what sort of rates I can find.

Something to think about, if you are going in Sept. and don't tolerate the heat so well, you may want to think about a car. I have to say that out of all of the resorts we have stayed at, I thought OKW had the best bus service I have ever seen but if it is super hot outside, are you really going to want to stand out in the heat waiting for a bus?

Am debating whether to rent or car or leave the transportation up to Disney so would also appreciate any thoughts on that issue. I know she wants to see La Nouba so does the boat bus service from DTD run late enough to get us back from that? Any OKW advice will be appreciated!

Yes, the bus/boat services run after the last La Nouba show. Check with the one you want to use that night, to ensure the details. As long it is not raining, the water service can be the most relaxing of the two. Since I live so close, I always have my POV with us and will use it unless I am using the boats.

I too would recommend you rent a car, you may want to pool hop to other resorts (saratoga has some nice pools). FYI WDW has car rental places within the resort itself, so you can still use ME if you want to.

We own at VWL, but love staying at OKW. It is def. close in our hearts like VWL. I dont consider myself an expert, but have stayed there many times, so Im a semi-expert:goodvibes

We have only stayed in the HH area once, in bldg. 63, but loved being close to HH. Typically we ask for Turtle Pond, and we occasionally will walk to HH, or drive. I would rent a car, as you may find yourself running behind for a ressie, or not wanting to wait for a bus. As for DTD, the boat service is great, peaceful, relaxing and drops you off real close to the La Nouba area. And you will still have service after the show.

And if you want relaxation, OKW is a great place for it! Remember, the pool areas at Millers Rd., Turtle Pond and SouthPointe can be used as well as the HH pool as well by all guests, and tend to be less crowded. We have never been during summer to OKW so others can clarify the crowds, but this has been my observance. Millers Pond pool isnt far from HH area, and shaded nicely.

Also, there are video games, crafts, foosball and pool table at Community Hall, along with DVDs that guests can check out. Our DS loves playing pool here and is getting good at it, all because of OKW.

Lastly, Olivias has wonderful breakfast, lunch and dinner. Their daily specials are usually very good, DD loves the meatloaf and DS loves the fried chicken with gravy. Me, I like it all!!

One thing my DW and myself really enjoy, drinking coffee and computing out on the balcony in the AM. Great way to start the day!

As you can see, Im big on OKW, and I hope you enjoy and relax as much as we do:thumbsup2

We own at okw and have stayed there numerous times. We've stayed at HH millers rd and turtle pond and I have to say I liked turtle pond best.

We stayed in Turtle Pond area (I think building 39) and had our car...we were there for 3 nights with no Disney park tickets but 2 day tickets to Sea World...it was nice and relaxing (except the morning they were cutting grass along the Bonnet Creek Pkwy super early with those giant mowers).

We also stayed in HH section- building 14 (HH section is it's own booking category which tends to get booked up before the 7 month window...but not always). We did not have a car for this trip and it was 6 nights at Xmas time. We did just fine without a car and would get on the bus at the HH building and head right out to the parks...then when we came home from the parks we'd get off at the 1st stop (Penninsular Rd...bus stop is next to building 26) and walk over to our building (very short walk).
OKWMapcolor2_zps4589f895.jpg

Something to think about, if you are going in Sept. and don't tolerate the heat so well, you may want to think about a car. I have to say that out of all of the resorts we have stayed at, I thought OKW had the best bus service I have ever seen but if it is super hot outside, are you really going to want to stand out in the heat waiting for a bus?

An excellent point. Even in December there were a couple of days I was happy to get back to an air conditioned car after time in the parks.

Yes, the bus/boat services run after the last La Nouba show. Check with the one you want to use that night, to ensure the details. As long it is not raining, the water service can be the most relaxing of the two. Since I live so close, I always have my POV with us and will use it unless I am using the boats.

I don't see on the map where you get/get dropped off by boat at the resort. Is it there at the recreation area ?

I too would recommend you rent a car, you may want to pool hop to other resorts (saratoga has some nice pools). FYI WDW has car rental places within the resort itself, so you can still use ME if you want to.

I have not pool hopped and did not use the pool restrooms while at AKV in December. I am wondering that if we planned a dinner at another resort, are there sufficient changing facilities at most resort pools to get ready there after pool hopping? Mainly looking for a changing area other than inside a toliet stall and perhaps a wall plug for a hair dryer.

And Jimmytammy thanks for the info on the shady pool at Millers Pond pool we are always looking for a pool that has shade for me and sun for my daughter. As we are planning for lots of pool time, it is great to be at a resort that has options! Berween the porch and the pool, I might have to buy an e-reader before this trip so I dont run out of reading material. Usually this is not a problem on trips that are focused on the parks.
As for Olivia's ... I know you can make ADRs but is it likely that if you dropped in for a meal that you could get seated relatively quickly?

Thank you so much for all of this useful information.

I don't see on the map where you get/get dropped off by boat at the resort. Is it there at the recreation area ?

I know you can make ADRs but is it likely that if you dropped in for a meal that you could get seated relatively quickly?

The boat dock is right by the smoking symbol a little below and a tad to the left of the H on the map (Hospitality house)....so in back of HH where the canal comes up near pool...there is a bar and counter service out there as well....and the kids room.

We did a breakfast and a dinner at Olivias. It is one of the few places you can do easy walk ins too. We booked the breakfast but changed our time the morning of (to go later) and we did the dinner last minute (called to make ADR for that night on a trip when we stayed at SSR).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter