OKW refurbishment question

disneydawn

Mouseketeer
DVC Silver
Can anyone please tell me about the refurbishment that is happening at OKW? We are planning in going for a week starting April 29 in a 2 bedroom. Does anyone know what units are done and if they are doing it in any sort of order? Any info would be appreciated!

It stated in Spring Disney Files that it was starting summer- no one is holding their breath.
It was meant to start early 2017 but I heard after feedback on room mock ups they went back to make changes.
Quite why it takes a year to make changes on decorating a few rooms is anyone's guess.
When they start they will do blocks at a time and it' slated to take 2 years.
When done I'll be going- great resort, went 2016 but thought I'd wait for refurb before returning.

Quite why it takes a year to make changes on decorating a few rooms is anyone's guess.

It's quite a bit more complicated than "decorating a few rooms." Any prospective design needs to be deemed appropriate for the entire resort before it's even put into place. No sense in decorating a couple model rooms, only to discover that the design is too expensive, not durable enough or that they cannot even obtain materials in sufficient quantity to renovate nearly 500 villas.

Before any model rooms are prepared, there's a lot of behind the scenes work to be coordinated between designers, contractors, suppliers and even resort management to ensure that the design is workable for a high occupancy timeshare.

It's quite a bit more complicated than "decorating a few rooms." Any prospective design needs to be deemed appropriate for the entire resort before it's even put into place. No sense in decorating a couple model rooms, only to discover that the design is too expensive, not durable enough or that they cannot even obtain materials in sufficient quantity to renovate nearly 500 villas.

Before any model rooms are prepared, there's a lot of behind the scenes work to be coordinated between designers, contractors, suppliers and even resort management to ensure that the design is workable for a high occupancy timeshare.
I appreciate that but it's not like they haven't done it before, and big projects can be designed and built in less time.

I appreciate that but it's not like they haven't done it before, and big projects can be designed and built in less time.

Less time than what? Right now the refurb is about 4 months behind its original Spring 2017 scheduled start. (And they've gone through at least two revisions on the models.) I'm not entirely clear how that timeline compares unfavorably to "big projects" being designed and built.

Practically speaking, a new project is a blank canvas. There are zero restrictions on room layout, materials & fixtures use, theme, etc. Renovating an existing physical structure--within a certain budget--a little at a time while continuing to accommodate guests--is an entirely different animal.

Less time than what? Right now the refurb is about 4 months behind its original Spring 2017 scheduled start. (And they've gone through at least two revisions on the models.) I'm not entirely clear how that timeline compares unfavorably to "big projects" being designed and built.

Practically speaking, a new project is a blank canvas. There are zero restrictions on room layout, materials & fixtures use, theme, etc. Renovating an existing physical structure--within a certain budget--a little at a time while continuing to accommodate guests--is an entirely different animal.
You seem very knowledgeable on the project - you or someone you know involved?

They are not doing anything on the pool, a refurb on the main pool was just completed early spring this year.

Can anyone please tell me about the refurbishment that is happening at OKW? We are planning in going for a week starting April 29 in a 2 bedroom. Does anyone know what units are done and if they are doing it in any sort of order? Any info would be appreciated!

We'll also be there that same week, checking in on the same day, but staying in a 1 BR,. Like you, I'm concerned about the rehab, but DH just loves OKW (I like it, he LOVES it), so we made our reservations and hope for the best.

We'll also be there that same week, checking in on the same day, but staying in a 1 BR,. Like you, I'm concerned about the rehab, but DH just loves OKW (I like it, he LOVES it), so we made our reservations and hope for the best.
I'm concerned about what they are going to do to OKW, but not concerned about being there during renovations.

We are at OKW now and a section of Turtle Pond was walled off yesterday.
The section is near the bus stop, looks like multiple buildings. One could see the construction workers inside the units working this morning.

We are at OKW now and a section of Turtle Pond was walled off yesterday.
The section is near the bus stop, looks like multiple buildings. One could see the construction workers inside the units working this morning.
This type of structural work has been happening for around 18 months to 2 years and doesn't necessarily mean they are starting the refurbs- although hopefully on this occasion they are. I'd caution about assuming this though because many times I've seen this reported and people thought the refurb was under way and what in fact they were doing was replacing windows, air conditioning vents, maybe painting etc.
Maybe if you get chance you could ask a construction worker?

This type of structural work has been happening for around 18 months to 2 years and doesn't necessarily mean they are starting the refurbs- although hopefully on this occasion they are. I'd caution about assuming this though because many times I've seen this reported and people thought the refurb was under way and what in fact they were doing was replacing windows, air conditioning vents, maybe painting etc.
Maybe if you get chance you could ask a construction worker?

We left this morning but did notice last night that a 2nd area of Turtle Pond had been walled off. Could not tell exactly what was happening, but the buildings were all low 30's numbers.

We’ll be there in 32 days - yippee!!! If anyone can get detailed info or even pics of construction, we would really appreciate it. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!