OKW vs SSR

PDXDuck

Earning My Ears
We are booking a last minute trip for Feb 23-March 2. a 1 bedroom suite at OKW and SSR are the same price (we are paying out of pocket). We are coming with our 3 yr old and 6 month old. Can someone guide us on the best fit?

We will be spending most days at the parks but with the 6 mo old we would like him to at least take one nap at the hotel (others can be stroller naps) so proximity to parks is a benefit (looks like OKW is a little less travel time?).

Also will likely spend parts of at least a few of the days at the pool so which has a nicer pool complex etc?

Looks like OKW rooms are a little larger then SSR and the extra room would be nice.

Any further input greatly appreciated!

I would stay at SSR. I used to love OKW, but now that I've discovered zero entry pools with my little ones, I'm less likely to book OKW. SSR has just been renovated and they have a gorgeous pool. We really like the Grandstand area--not too far from the lobby, but really quiet.

Stay at SSR and request to be near the Paddock Pool area. The Paddock pool has a great children's splash area. We stayed there last May, just before my twins turned 3 & they loved the paddock pool splash area.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

ETA: link to the AllEars paddock pool area photos: http://allears.net/acc/g_PaddockPoolSaratogaSprings.html

OKW isn't just "a little" bigger...it's quite a bit bigger, especially in the living space...SSR "wins" on pools...even if you like OKW's feature pool as much as SSR's...SSR has three feature pools (two with slides), whereas OKW has only one (plus several quiet/neighborhood pools)...

Distance to parks is really six of one/half a dozen of the other...and both resorts have multiple internal bus stops on the way to the parks...SSR is easy/visible/pretty walking (strolling) to Downtown Disney...you can walk there from OKW, but it's a longer walk (altho still under a mile) and harder to find/see your way (the path is certainly visible, but Downtown Disney isn't, whereas DTD is readily visible from the paths leading to it from SSR)...

Both resorts have good sit-down restaurants, but SSR's QS eatery is better than OKW's--for one thing, it's inside w/plenty of seating...OKW's is outside w/limited seating...

We love both resorts, a LOT...and pick whichever one we haven't been to most recently when we're choosing between the two...but for your family, that extra space might be the key factor...

Have a great time whichever resort you choose...

Good points, but I don't think SSR has 3 feature pools. Grandstand is a basic pool that happens to have a pool bar and a splash area for kids instead of a standard playground..but it's still a basic , "quiet" pool.

Congress park is a more typical "quiet" pool (no bar or kid splash area, there is a nearby playground set)....that happens to have one of the best views at WDW ;) (DTD view).

For the kids, I think they would most enjoy the Paddock pool (more little kid type activities) but Springs and Grandstand are also above average. OKW has significantly larger 1BR, though.

I have a 7, 4 and 1yo. We've stayed at OKW with babies and hopped to the pools at SSR. OKW is great for space, there is no tripping over the double stroller or high chair. The full size w/d is nice and so is the big balcony.
BUT, SSR has the best pools for babies and toddlers IMO. Walking to DTD is nice too.

For the same pts it's a tough choice, but you really can't go wrong with either :goodvibes

Thanks for the replies. After reading this we are leaning toward the extra space OKW provides, although tempted by the pools at SSR. Will have to discuss with the family boss and see what she thinks.

Appreciate the input!

It sounds as though you have the basics here: SSR for the pools. OKW for the extra space. Something to keep in mind that I don't think has been mentioned: All SSR buildings have elevators. Most at OKW do not. When you're lugging a tired (or sleeping) toddler, a baby, at least one stroller, backpacks, etc, at the end of the long day, sometimes you don't want to do so up three flights of stairs. :-)

Granted, we've done it! And it didn't kill us. :-) But for many parents trying to decide between the two resorts, this is the deal breaker. :-)

Good luck!

Just to add my .02 cents. While SSR does have Elevators in every building, often times you park quite a way from the building. Not really an issue when you're not hauling everything, but the one time we stayed at SSR was a few years back, we were travelling with my sister-in-law and her family including a baby. It wasn't too much fun having to haul everything back and forth on a long walk to the building, up the elevator and down a long hallway to the far side of the building. Just something to keep in mind.

SSR is beautiful and the kids had fun at the Grandstand pool, we were in that "neighborhood" but the room was so much smaller than OKW and we missed being able to park by our building and the ease getting from our vehicle to the villa. Also, while it's true that OKW doesn't have elevators, you can request a 1st floor unit and they will do their best to accommodate you.

The pools at both resorts are really nice, but your 3 year old would probably enjoy the sandcastle/beach sand area at OKW's main pool. It has an area shaded by trees as well as table umbrellas. At night they have a campfire. Quite lovely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter