Old Key West

WDWangela

Earning My Ears
Just booked 2 rooms at OKW with a military discount. We have never stayed at this resort. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about this resort. We will be there Dec. 8-14. Excited to try a new for us resort.
Our group consists of 2 grandparents, 2 parents and 2 preteens.
Thanks in advance.

OKW is a vacation club resort; the mods will probably move this to the DVC Resorts board where you'll get more responses.

It's a lovely resort, very laid back. They are finishing up a full refurbishment of the rooms. There are only a few buildings with elevators if steps are an issue request a ground floor room. Make sure to check out the Community Hall early in your trip.

OKW is a vacation club resort; the mods will probably move this to the DVC Resorts board where you'll get more responses.

It's a lovely resort, very laid back. They are finishing up a full refurbishment of the rooms. There are only a few buildings with elevators if steps are an issue request a ground floor room. Make sure to check out the Community Hall early in your trip.
Thanks so much. I will check out the DVC forum.

It's my favorite (and we are local to WDW). I really enjoy the 2 bedroom suites as the size is huge and comfortable. We drove to the local supermarket (Publix) to load up on food/drinks to take full advantage of the full kitchen. We had a full size washer/dryer (not a stack) that made us have fresh clothes for our 10 night stay.

Also, the boat ride to Disney Springs is a huge selling point to us. There is a small restaurant onsite (Olivia's) and a quick serve and really small bar on their boardwalk.

The walkways and various pools are just wonderful.

Did you book two studios? They each sleep four persons (two queen beds in the studio). OKW doesn't have but a few buildings that have elevators and those are usually reserved for medical needs.

OKW is such a beautiful, peaceful resort! We love having easy access to the boats to Disney Springs.

I will say that last time we stayed there, we were a solid 15 minute walk from the main lobby. This didn’t bother us, we enjoyed the walk, but if I had mobility problems or small children, it might present some challenges. Just something to keep in mind!

OKW is such a beautiful, peaceful resort! We love having easy access to the boats to Disney Springs.

I will say that last time we stayed there, we were a solid 15 minute walk from the main lobby. This didn’t bother us, we enjoyed the walk, but if I had mobility problems or small children, it might present some challenges. Just something to keep in mind!
You can hop any theme park bus from your area to go to the Hospitality House area (that's the last stop for all theme park buses). Then you can walk over to the Peninsular Road bus stop (right across the bridge from the HH) and take a bus back to your area. Or you can hop the Internal bus from the HH back to your area. If you do decide to walk, make sure you stay on the sidewalks and don't walk on the grassy areas along the roads.

We did book 2 studios.
Two studios will not be close to each other except one over the other. Most are located at the ends of buildings. Some buildings may only have four, so they may be in different buildings. Early Dec is pretty popular for DVC members so the resort will probably be booked up and you might not have much choice in getting them close to each other.

Two studios will not be close to each other except one over the other. Most are located at the ends of buildings. Some buildings may only have four, so they may be in different buildings. Early Dec is pretty popular for DVC members so the resort will probably be booked up and you might not have much choice in getting them close to each other.

Thanks so much for your advice. I am really torn as to what to do. My son and his family live several states away from us and we would really like to stay close to each other. I have not canceled my Port Orleans Riverside reservations yet, so that is still a possibility.

Thanks so much for your advice. I am really torn as to what to do. My son and his family live several states away from us and we would really like to stay close to each other. I have not canceled my Port Orleans Riverside reservations yet, so that is still a possibility.
You could book at two bedroom villa and be assured you would be together.

I agree with @Deb & Bill. If being close is important I would book a 2 bedroom villa.

I liked OKW as did my family, but you should be aware that as a DVC resort, and as a resort meant to be Home away from Home, it is really is not the same set up as the "regular" resorts. The food court is small, as in it is not a food court. It is a small QS with picnic tables. It is okay if you are not relying on it for many meals, but the selections are not as varied as POR. It is a big resort, but there is internal transportation. It is absolutely gorgeous, tranquil and relaxing, so 1/2 my crew was enchanted, coffee on the porch, a full kitchen to reheat leftovers, a real stove for tea, a gynormous TV, and plenty of space. The other 1/2 was a bit grumpy (my DH) He was positive we stuffed him in the middle of nowhere.

My point is "know before you go." If being close is very important, and you do not want a 2 bedroom villa, think about keeping POR. If a variety of food choices matters, POR. You may not be connected at POR, and you may not be in the same building, but you will have a better chance IMO.

We had a great stay at a two bedroom villa. Pool is relaxing with a nice bar, the grounds are gorgeous. The vibe is very relaxed. Lovely resort to relax and be with family. Have a great trip!

Units near the Hospitality House are great for being close to the main pool/restaurant area. But I believe they are the last buildings undergoing renovation although it may be completed by then. Otherwise because it is a huge resort, I agree that for little ones or those with ambulatory issues a car is a good idea. The two-bedroom units are very spacious and comfortable. It will be busy at that time; I can attest to that. It’s a very nice, relaxing resort.

We actually prefer being away from the HH as that is the only place in the resort IMO that seems even the least bit crowded. Not really crowded with people, just bustling with people I should say. Once we get towards either South Point or Turtle pond, we never hear so much as a sound in our rooms. We also prefer the 2BR as the space is great. There too we prefer Turtle pond road due to having the extra entry to the main bathroom. Shouldn't be too much difference in room price between two studios and a 2 BR villa. Lots more room, a kitchen, a big balcony and laundry room are all great.

Units near the Hospitality House are great for being close to the main pool/restaurant area. But I believe they are the last buildings undergoing renovation although it may be completed by then. Otherwise because it is a huge resort, I agree that for little ones or those with ambulatory issues a car is a good idea. The two-bedroom units are very spacious and comfortable. It will be busy at that time; I can attest to that. It’s a very nice, relaxing resort.
Near Hospitality House is a booking category for points stays. Those buildings are 11-14 and 24-26. You should not be able to get those booking for cash since they go quickly for points stays.

How far is the resort from the parks? Are the rooms well insulated from each other to keep out loud neighbors at night?

It’s our favorite resort. The pool and activities team are great. We don’t go to the parks much so this is important to us, Tennis and shuffleboard are close and very accessible. The boat to disney springs is a major plus. olivias the on-site restaurant is very good. And the rooms are large.
BUT unless you get close to hospitality house, you can be far away from the big pool and activities and the boat. There is an internal bus as well as bus stops around the resort where Park busses stop. There are very few elevator buildings so you could end up dragging luggage three flights.
we are DVC and always get a one bedroom suite near hospitality house, the kitchen is large as is the full size laundry. And the living room has a foldout couch as well as a large chair that folds down for sleeping. The balcony usually has a view of the golf course.
I know some people have complained about noise, but I’ve never heard anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter