Old Key West

laurencwilliams

Earning My Ears
Has anyone stayed at the Old Key West Resort? How does it compare to other Disney Resorts (non vacation club resorts?) How is it for children? I have a five year old son.

Your best bet to check out Old Key West and ask questions is to check out the DVC Board further down this forum. OKW is one of the Disney Vacation club resorts. We are going in December, and I have been checking out every thread about it. The Home Away from Home resorts are great, especially with kids. If you get a 1 bedroom villa, there is a full kitchen. More space than a regular hotel room.

We love OKW for the space it offers. It is not the prettiest resort on property, but it is the most spacious in the 1 and 2 bedroom villas. It is great for kids because there is plenty of room for them to move around comfortably. We bought into Saratoga Springs resort, which is very pretty, but just not as spacious at OKW. If you are staying in a 1 or 2 bedroom villa, you will have a good-sized full kitchen (another great thing to have for kids). If you are staying in a studio unit, it pretty much is comparable to any deluxe resort room.

I have to ditto that it isn't really very pretty outside. If you've seen the way the moderates are set up, that's kind of how Key West is set up. I just didn't look forward to getting back there the way I do when I'm in a hotel. The gift shop and restaurant are ho-hum, as is most of the rest of the place. I think maybe my expectations were too high.

I did like the room. We had a 1-bed and it was fairly roomy, very clean and welcoming. Pretty colors, relaxing.

I only stayed there once, so maybe this isn't common, but the maintenance guys and housekeeping/laundry carts were all over the place, getting in the way of my attempt to enjoy the "grounds."

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder but I have to say that I love OKW and think it is one of Disney's most attractive resorts. Guess I am just partial to golf courses, lakes, palm trees and lush foliage...No, it is not a gimmicky Micky and Minnie everywhere kind of place, but it has always been a comfortable and relaxing place for us to stay. Prefer it over BW, CBR, and POR where we have stayed before. Villas are spacious and well-equipped and we have always had an easy time getting around with the bus system. If it is just you and a 5 year old, though, one of the more compact hotel-type resorts might be easier , less pricey, and geared more towards little ones.

It is a very nice resort. The landscaping is lush, pool is themed nicely, pretty decor, large rooms and most of all veeerrryy relaxing. I came home and hummed Jimmy Buffet for 3 days! :rotfl: It is large but the busses are great. One thing that I learned is that you can take any bus to the Hospitality House (the main pool/restaurant/store etc.) It can be going to any park or place at disney, they all stop at the main area. Very easy and quick. When you want to go back to your villa, you take the bus marked "internal bus" to get back. So I can see with kids it would be very easy. I will be going there again someday!

OKW is a Florida resort. So if you like Florida, you will love this place.

I love the landscaping. How it feels during my morning walk. It is lovely.

that say the studios are very much like a hotel room. they have a kitchennett which includes a under-the-counter refrigerator, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, 4 glasses, 2 mugs, some plastic knifes, spoons and forks - plus some paper plates and bowls.

It is very nice.

for 5 years old - then I would look at the activities list at OKW. they have an unbirthday party that he might enjoy. the water slide might be a little to fast for him. There is a large (and I mean large) sand area to play in next to the main pool.

if he is looking for a friend. then I would suggest either Pop Century or All stars resort.

all the quiet pools have a playground, picinic area and grill.

We have a 4 1/2 DD and a 20 mo. DS and we spent 10 days at OKW. We went to the parks only 2 days. We rented a boat, swam almost everyday (she LOVED the water slide), took the water taxi to DTD, played games at the community hall, and participated in a few arts & crafts activities too. We love OKW! That's the only place DH will go when we visit WDW. We own at BWV & SSR and have never set foot in a room there.

You can't beat the size of the rooms and the tranquility of the resort!

We spent 5 days at OKW and loved the short walk to the smaller pools, large rooms and bus system. Grandpa and 2 year old had fun playing with all the little lizards in the bushes. Fast little suckers. We stayed in building 31 right next to a bus stop.

We LOVE OKW!!! It has so much room that cannot compare to the other resorts. If you want to be able to go back to your room & relax, OKW is the place - there is a kitchen, laundry room, huge bathroom, sitting area. I love sitting out on the balcony/deck in the mornings & have my coffee as I look out over the golf course. It is a much more relaxed resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter