On-site vs. off-site during covid

Aurora_Disney

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are visiting in October and we have always stayed onsite. The perks such as discounts, EMH, fastPass, transport from airport, etc have been worth it, but this year with so much of that gone we are considering staying offsite. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what perks I would miss staying offsite? Also, are there any shuttles to WDW and where do they drop you off at? Another question, are they giving priority to onsite guests for reserving park passes?

One hotel we are looking at is Wyndham Grand Orlando Resort Bonnet Creek.

Thank you everyone!

This has nothing to do with your questions, just a tip.
We are going in October as well.
I have been watching the priceline/hotwire thread.
Right now in October you can get Wyndham grand or swan under $100 on opaque deals.
I would wait till about 30 days till take a chance you might get something awesome.

This has nothing to do with your questions, just a tip.
We are going in October as well.
I have been watching the priceline/hotwire thread.
Right now in October you can get Wyndham grand or swan under $100 on opaque deals.
I would wait till about 30 days till take a chance you might get something awesome.
That's good to know. I will watch that. Thank you

Another tip:
Skyauction has the Sheraton Vistana Resort, 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, full kitchen, washer/dryer for $379.99 for a whole week. There's a one time processing fee of $20 and $75 surcharge for certain dates in October to December. That's a crazy good deal.

We've stayed at the Sheraton many times and love it. It's directly across I4 from Disney Springs, so super close to WDW property with lots of restaurants nearby.

My husband and I are visiting in October and we have always stayed onsite. The perks such as discounts, EMH, fastPass, transport from airport, etc have been worth it, but this year with so much of that gone we are considering staying offsite. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what perks I would miss staying offsite? Also, are there any shuttles to WDW and where do they drop you off at? Another question, are they giving priority to onsite guests for reserving park passes?

Thank you everyone!
Be aware of parking and resort fees when looking for off-site hotels. They are usually a total of $62 a day at the Grand. They are waiving the $35-a-day resort fee in August and September.

There is no shuttle service at the Grand in August and September. Will they bring it back by October? We can hope.

Will you be renting a car to stay off site? It’s difficult to obtain advice easily since many that recommend the ease of staying offsite have not visited “recently”. If Disney is changing daily what do you think the off site properties are needing to do. Someone just posted one of the off site Bonnet Creek Resorts not offering shuttle service during the week... just hope you are careful and not disappointed upon arrival.

We have been staying primarily off site since they started the daily room checks/invasions, so take my opinion with that grain of salt. Consider the perks you consider the most important, and whether those perks are currently available. If not, my opinion it drops to price.

We have stayed both off and on site since they re-opened last month. We stayed onsite to get the park reservations we wanted. Park reservations are divided into 3 - Annual Passholders; Resort Guests, and Regular ticketholders. If you are an AP, you can only hold 3 park ressies at a time, and HS is booked on weekends through September, with everything but Epcot booked most other days. They did nudge a few August resort and regular reservations towards AP, but they haven't done it often enough to count on getting in. If you are staying longer than 3 days, you really need to stay onsite to ensure that you get to go to a park each day that you want. If you are a regular ticket holder, you can stay onsite or offsite as long as you book a week or so in advance. I have only seen HS booked occassionally for regular ticketholders, and I think just the first few days they were open for resort guests. Otherwise, park reservations are wide open for resort guests.

For onsite "resort guest" status for park reservations, ALL onsite hotels count. Meaning you could be staying at the Contemporary, or at the Holiday Inn by Disney Springs. It takes about 24 hours after you book a Disney Springs partner hotel before it gets into their system so you can make park reservations, but they do work. They do have parking fees and resort fees, but Disney hotels have parking fees too. The Disney Springs hotels do not currently have bus or shuttles, so you would need a car, or walk to DS to catch a bus there.

Another tip:
Skyauction has the Sheraton Vistana Resort, 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, full kitchen, washer/dryer for $379.99 for a whole week. There's a one time processing fee of $20 and $75 surcharge for certain dates in October to December. That's a crazy good deal.

We've stayed at the Sheraton many times and love it. It's directly across I4 from Disney Springs, so super close to WDW property with lots of restaurants nearby.
This is my favorite resort off property there is s great thread ...
https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-sheraton-vistana-resort-thread-key-links-on-p-1.3148502/

Another tip:

Thanks for this! We were staying next week at a Marriott vacation club resort but canceled and book this instead. 4 additional nights and $50 cheaper!

Thanks for this! We were staying next week at a Marriott vacation club resort but canceled and book this instead. 4 additional nights and $50 cheaper!
Have fun! I love the Palms Marriott timeshares at the World, but the Sheraton is always cheaper.
We've stayed through skyauction before and had a great experience. Just keep an eye on the fine print and read the whole page and you'll be good.

Thank you everyone!
Just wanted to emphasize that with the exception of Lake Buena Vista hotels and onsite hotels, shuttles are typically pretty limited (check with the property you are considering). When offsite we either rent a car or use Uber/Lyft (easy to use and very readily available in Orlando -- pickup within minutes - more convenient that shuttles). For the Magic Kingdom, I love being dropped off at the Contemporary walkway and avoiding the large entrance crowds. // With Orlando so overbuilt, we find that even accounting for rental car expense and parking or uber/lyft (For us when I do the math, I always fine uber/lyft more expensive than the rental car route - but sometimes I don't want to drive), that it's much less expensive to stay offsite (way more bang for the dollar). And for us the savings go beyond accommodations (When offsite, we do more eating in (as we typically will have a kitchen in a condo or suite hotel) and when we eat out we eat at more economical places offsite than onsite (IMHO WDW food is pricey. especially table service -- although sometimes the theming (especially at some of the deluxe hotels) is super fun)).

Thank you for those with positive, helpful feedback. This is going to be an interesting time. I am a planner and carefully weight out every option and research as much as possible. I have concluded that most offsite hotels are not offering shuttles, so it is looking like a rental car or uber will be needed, which is fine. Hilton Bonnet Creek is the exception in which they are reimbursing guests who have to use uber or giving them vouchers for Mears. I like that's, but with resort fees and such, they're a bit pricey. This will be a very different time at the World, but looking forward to it nonetheless. The whole world has changed for the moment, WDW not exempt from that.

We booked direct with Extra Vacations Wyndham Bonnet Creek for November. Do they charge any parking or resort fees?

Are they going to make me sit through a time share presentation?

I wonder if I should try for the Sheraton Vistana and save the money. I have never been to either.

Last edited:
Do you mean Extra Holidays? Extra Vacations is an RCI program for timeshare owners.

Both do not make you sit through a timeshare presentation, but they will likely invite you to one.

I don't think they charge resort fees either, it should have been indicated somewhere when you booked if there are fees.

The Wyndham Grand is the property with the fees.

Do you mean Extra Holidays? Extra Vacations is an RCI program for timeshare owners.

Both do not make you sit through a timeshare presentation, but they will likely invite you to one.

I don't think they charge resort fees either, it should have been indicated somewhere when you booked if there are fees.

The Wyndham Grand is the property with the fees.

Yeah, this page. https://www.wyndhambonnetcreek.com
I saw a post for 30% off which was a good deal. I paid $1,215 for the week in a 2 bedroom.
Now I am thinking about the Sheraton special. The good thing with the Wyndham is you can cancel up to 24 hours before which is nice security.

Another tip:

This Skyauction thing seems sketchy. You submit a bid and wait?
I also see a surcharge of $250 per unit.

When you stay offsite and rent a car don't forget you pay daily to park at WDW. Also, be very wary of offsite shuttles. Some have very very limited service and many stop at multiple hotels making the shuttle trip take a long time. I learned this staying at an Extended Stay on I Drive--huge mistake.

This Skyauction thing seems sketchy. You submit a bid and wait?
I also see a surcharge of $250 per unit.

I just used SkyAuction for the first time and did not bid. I bought a "buy it now" deal for the Sheraton Vistana for $379.99 for 7 nights + $20 processing fee. I'm a tad uncomfortable with bidding so will likely only do buy it now in the future.

We just got home yesterday and everything was seamless! No parking fee, no resort fee, nada.

I just used SkyAuction for the first time and did not bid. I bought a "buy it now" deal for the Sheraton Vistana for $379.99 for 7 nights + $20 processing fee. I'm a tad uncomfortable with bidding so will likely only do buy it now in the future.

We just got home yesterday and everything was seamless! No parking fee, no resort fee, nada.

Thanks I saw that too flipping through and getting familiar with the offers.
I do have a question about the surcharge though. It states Date Surcharge (11/6/2020-12/6/2020) for $150 per unit.
I plan on checking in on 11/1. So does the surcharge apply?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter