Once Poly is sold out, would it be hard to purchase a small point add-on contract there?

CookieandOatmeal

DIS Veteran
Once Poly is sold out, would it be hard to purchase a small point add-on contract there directly from DVC? I keep reading that Poly is close to being sold out. I'm looking at adding on to my current Poly contract with about 30-50 point contract in the future (within a couple of years). I am not against looking at resale but those small contracts go super fast and I don't think has much negotiation room either. Also, most resale contracts seem to be stripped of points for the current year and most of the next too. I guess what I'm really asking is that would Poly turn into a case of GFV or BCV where it is hard to purchase direct after the resort is sold out?

1. Poly isn't that close. Probably a good 750k-1M points left to sell.

2. Once sold out, DVD gets points via ROFR. So it could be a bit to get points for an add on with the right UY.

I think that Poly will still be available for the next few years. Small contracts IMO are best to be bought directly from Disney as they snapped up right away, usually are stripped and are sold at a high price per point.

Good to know! I definitely want to add on in the future but the need is not here yet. I'm still able to bank points so that must be a good sign. I rather put my money towards other wants lol.

My guide told me in December that poly would be sold out by March. Didn't believe him then or now. It's struggling which is surprising everyone. IMO, the lack of 1Br units is keeping it available longer than they expected. Odd, because all the other resorts book studios first and 1br are easier. I think that line of thinking was taken into consideration at poly and not working out. Just my worthless .02 :)

I wondered the same thing as you. We will likely want to add on in the future, but only in small-ish chunks of 50 points or so. From what I gather, while you may have to wait a little while, Disney will probably be able to reclaim what you need via ROFR. My only fear is that in the near term, you never know how quickly Poly will start to show up on the resale market with any frequency. That being said, it may be that with only studios and ultra expensive bungalows to offer, people may tire of owning there if their needs aren't met.

I wondered the same thing as you. We will likely want to add on in the future, but only in small-ish chunks of 50 points or so. From what I gather, while you may have to wait a little while, Disney will probably be able to reclaim what you need via ROFR. My only fear is that in the near term, you never know how quickly Poly will start to show up on the resale market with any frequency. That being said, it may be that with only studios and ultra expensive bungalows to offer, people may tire of owning there if their needs aren't met.

My new mantra to my husband is...we need more Poly points lol.

Once sold out, a wait list is created for those wanting to purchase direct -- I believe the list is by use year. The wait can be from a few weeks to a few months before that get points back from ROFR. If the wait lists get too long (as for GFV and BCV now) they will close the list and not let others on.

As of the end of May, there were about 875,000 points remaining, and that includes the 2% they hold back for maintenance. Given that they are selling about 150k per month, October-November is probably the timeframe when DVC will consider it "sold out." And certain Use Years disappear even before that.

When DVC declares it "sold out", at a minimum they will remove all incentives taking the price up to at least $176 per point. The current incentives are slated to run through October 31. It's not unreasonable to think these could be the last incentives ever for the Poly. Also seems likely they will bump the price up to $185 which equals Bay Lake Tower, Grand Floridian and others.

Poly might be easiest to get, not only will DVD get points via ROFR but a lot through foreclosure also with many people taking the 10 year financing plan.

Once Poly is sold out, would it be hard to purchase a small point add-on contract there directly from DVC? I keep reading that Poly is close to being sold out. I'm looking at adding on to my current Poly contract with about 30-50 point contract in the future (within a couple of years). I am not against looking at resale but those small contracts go super fast and I don't think has much negotiation room either. Also, most resale contracts seem to be stripped of points for the current year and most of the next too. I guess what I'm really asking is that would Poly turn into a case of GFV or BCV where it is hard to purchase direct after the resort is sold out?
Short term is predictable but no one knows long term for small purchases or really for anything. Personally I doubt it'll be difficult for Poly at any time.

My guide told me in December that poly would be sold out by March. Didn't believe him then or now. It's struggling which is surprising everyone. IMO, the lack of 1Br units is keeping it available longer than they expected. Odd, because all the other resorts book studios first and 1br are easier. I think that line of thinking was taken into consideration at poly and not working out. Just my worthless .02 :)
IMO it was and is predictable due to the high points and the lack of appropriate 1 & 2 BR villas.

Does anyone know if the bungalows are popular? That's my biggest concern about Poly. Bungalows are a huge pool of points and if they don't get used, that leaves a lot of people fighting for studios.

Does anyone know if the bungalows are popular? That's my biggest concern about Poly. Bungalows are a huge pool of points and if they don't get used, that leaves a lot of people fighting for studios.

I can't say with certainty that they aren't, but if I was a betting man, I would say no. Relatively speaking anyway. The point cost is HIGH! I took a quick look at the 60 day availability thing on the DVC website, and the Bungalows show up on the listing in every week. Take that for what it's worth, but I think it says something.

It does pose a concern for me long term.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!