One day in October enough for Disneyland?

calena

<font color=red>BL II - Red Team<br> <font color=g
Planning our first trip to Disneyland! Can't wait. We are WDW veterans and will go there again, but this is a one shot visit to California and so off to Disneyland too! We are going in late October - probably will go to Disneyland on October 30 (Monday). Is one day enough for Disneyland? The family is the five of us with DH, DD,11, DS, 9 and DS,6. When we have been to WDW it has been moderately crowded in Feb/March, but we are always able to do everything we want to. Our favourite park in WDW is Magic Kindgom.
Any advice is appreciated! DD loves anything fast and I read the Space Mountain ride is much better at Disneyland. The boys love Pirates and I can't wait to see that.
Also DS 6 is a huge Star Wars fan, so I am thinking Star Tours is a must and Indy sounds great too.
Getting very excited!
Deb

In one day in October you might be able to do your top 15-20 rides, depending on how carefully you plan. Considering there are about 50 attractions, including several that are not at WDW, plus shows and parades, not to mention California Adventure, you would be missing a lot. I wouldn't bother going for less than two days, at least three is recommended. I have been twice in the past year and am going again for 4 days next week because we are taking a new person and I don't want to miss anything.

One day is better than none.

If you can manage to have 3 days there, you'd really enjoy it. If you can only spend one day, you can hit the highlights and be sure to do the rides that WDW doesn't have.

It depends on all you want to see. We've done it okay in 2 days, but really it takes us 3 days to see everything we want to. In two days we tend to feel a bit rushed, and still miss out on a lot.

As a teenager I went with a group for a day, and I didn't get to do very much. I just went on my favorite rides. Really I'd say 2 days is a good minimum.

Thanks for the input! When you recommend two or three days - are you meaning just for Disneyland or also California Adventure? When we were in Florida we could do the Magic Kindgom in a day or a day and half. We were lucky it was never too crowded and once you learn the Fastpass system things work great. We like the busy go go pace and then just crash the next day. We are also the kind who go to the park from opening until closing. From what I read about Disneyland it sounds smaller than the Magic Kingdom. I've ordered the Unofficial Guide and that will also help with my research! Right now I don't think we would go to California Adventure, but if we did decide to do two days then get a park hopper.
Thanks again! Now, off to reading travel reports for more insight!
Deb :rolleyes:

Disneyland is smaller in size than MK but it has quite a few more rides, they are just closer together and the walkways are smaller. As a general rule, Disneyland is always more crowded than MK year round. I suggest 2 days for just Disneyland. You can do a lot in one day but there are so many things in Disneyland besides the attractions to enjoy, and you would miss that. If you only have one day, just make sure you use Fastpass as much as possible. Space Mountain and Splash Mountain usually run out by early afternoon, and the regular lines for those are 1 to 2 hours right up until closing time.

The park hours for that day will probably be DL 9-8pm and DCA 10-6pm. It probalby won't be too crowded but you won't get to see the fireworks or fantasmic since I'm pretty sure they only play on weekends then. You will be able to get some things done but probably not everything you want to. But one day is better then none!

We do one day all the time and October is perfect. I wouldn't reccomend going through Fantasyland or Toon Town until later in the evening after the kiddies crash. Make sure to take advantage of the fast pass. But it's been my experience that lines are much better mid week in the fall. The rail road that takes you around the park is good also to get you to where you need to go.
Try to cover an entire land before you move on to the next. Skip the first parade and ride Space Mt. or Pirates then. I'd skip Fantasmic it's the same as WDW I think. Relax and have a good time.

Having been to DL many times we could probably do all our favourites in one day, mid-week, in October but we wouldn't get to CA. I don't think a first timer can even see enough of DL but as others have said, better one day than none at all. I think the issue of short weekday hours in the Fall and a lack of parades and Fantasmic have already been mentioned too. If you can swing adding a day that Fantasmic is playing you should see it. That is one thing that is much better in DL than WDW (IMO). If your favourite park is Magic Kingdom in WDW you should love DL. :sunny:

Will Fantasmic, parades and fireworks not be on during a weekday? We will most likely be there October 30 (monday) or October 31 (tuesday) or November 1 (wednesday). DH is determined we only go one day. "We always only went one day." He went as a kid several times since his relatives live in LA. The children and I are pushing for 2 days. I was thinking Monday and Wednesday. The relatives say it takes about 35 minutes to drive to Disneyland from their place.
Deb

calena said:
Will Fantasmic, parades and fireworks not be on during a weekday? We will most likely be there October 30 (monday) or October 31 (tuesday) or November 1 (wednesday). DH is determined we only go one day. "We always only went one day." He went as a kid several times since his relatives live in LA. The children and I are pushing for 2 days. I was thinking Monday and Wednesday. The relatives say it takes about 35 minutes to drive to Disneyland from their place.
Deb
I have not gone to DLR during that period, but be aware that DLR has special Halloween nights - you may need to buy special tickets to get it.

See the MousePlanet weekly park update here:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=dl060710xx#Events

Mickey's Halloween Treat. October 13, 20, 22, 26, 27, 29, 30, and 31 at DCA. (See Disneyland AP page for details)

If you stay at one of the Dsuney hotels you get to go into Disneyland 30-60 minutes earlier than non hotel guests.

For parents with children under 7-8, I tell them to have one parent take the small kids to Fantasyland and knock them out on the kiddy rides. The other parent can take the older kids to the more older rides like Space Mountain and so forth.

By lunch time you should meet somewhere for lunch.
When the younger kids tire, you can take them back to the hotel for a nap (one of the parents can do this) while the other kids take in the rest of the park.

When the kids are rested, you can return to the park and enjoy yourselves until the Parade or Fantasmic show starts.

Ok, I hear what everyone is saying about needing more days, but from what I understand, that is not in the cards right now. So with the time you have, here is my rough plan for you just off the top of my head. (We will be there for 3 days in October around the same time).

With the choices of Mon (Oct 30), Tues (Oct 31) and Wed (Nov1), I would pick Monday first. Reason: Tuesdays are typically EE days and since you won't have that option with your ticket, there will already be some lines when you get there at regular opening. You are planning on being there at rope drop, right? Otherwise, it will make if more difficult to get all you want done. Speaking of rope drop, something to keep in mind if you are traveling from a relative's house - LA traffic! Any chance you can get an inexpensive hotel across the street from DLR the night before?

OK, moving on. Let's assume you get there on Monday morning right at rope drop. You and kids can head to Fantasyland while Dad collects FP for one of your favorite FP enabled rides (i.e, Space Mountain - fast for DD, or Splash, Indy, etc). Next Dad returns to be with you and kids and rides in Fantasyland. When FP from Space or whatever you chose is ready, send Dad to pick up FP for next favorite ride. While Dad is at it, he can also get FP for Cartoon Spin (I believe that is the name) since it is not connected with the FP system and won't count against your FP return times for other rides (see Hydroguy's posts to get more info - very helpful).By the time he returns, you've spent approx 1-2 hours in Fantasyland, done all those rides and are ready to move on.

Where it you next favorite land? (Even if Fantasyland wasn't your favorite, I suggest you go there first since those ride don't have FP and lines will get long during day). Back to next favorite land. Generally, what I am aiming for is getting to non-FP enabled rides early before crowds arrive and collecting FP for more popular rides to be used later. At some point, you'll need lunch. Don't forget to send Dad for FP right before lunch, so the time to pick-up another one will be ticking away while you eat. Also, remember FP don't need to be used at the return time listed, just anytime after said time. (Again, read Hydroguy's posts on this for more info)

Others have said Fantasmic at DLR is better than MK. It is. However, I don't know the October schedule right off hand and don't know if it will be showing Monday night. If it is, you can try to catch it. However, if it is showing, then maybe that means the fireworks show will be going as well. From what I understand (I haven't see it yet) that one is not to be missed.

OK, let's assume Fantasmic and fireworks aren't scheduled during weekdays (a likely possibilty). There is the Halloween nights schduled at DCA as Hydroguy mentioned. Here's the thing. You can buy tickets (assuming they are still available) for that and have an opportunity to do a very brief visit to DCA after you have accomplished most of DL rides. I believe there will be trick or treating stations, meet and greets, as well as some rides open. DCA. I want to say the hours are 6-9 or 7-10 pm, but can't say for sure. During that time DCA will be closed to regular tickets and open only if you have the Halloween tickets, which might be a reasonable cost to you (I think 20-25 bucks per person) as opposed to staying another night in hotel and buying 2 day pass. I really don't know if this is indeed cost effective or an option, but just some things to think about.

I am now done with my ramblings, hope it gives you something to think about and look into. My best suggestion, read Hydroguy's posts - a trip report about DLR last August and comparing to WDW to DLR just recently in June. These will really help you conquer DLR! Good luck and have fun, no matter how many days you are there :cool1:

Monday is also an EE day, so my vote would be to go on Wednesday the 1st if you only have one day. We'll be there that day! :teeth: Yes more days would make it easier to see more things, but you can still do a lot in one day and it is definetly better than none! Perhaps as a compromise on 2 days, your DH would be willing to do the Halloween party on the 31st at DCA stay over night at a neighborhood hotel, and do Disneyland on the 1st. This way you will get a taste of DCA, plus some Halloween fun, and be right next door to get an early morning start on DL.

I was thinking of October too, but am concerned about the early hours/no Fantasmic or fireworks. Does anyone know about the last 2 weeks in Sept or the beginning of October? Is there a website that would give me Disney's archive of hours so I could look at the scheduele for Sept/Oct?

DH and I went over the schedule and he wrote down TWO days for DISNEY! :cool1: We agreed we would do one day and if we want the second it is budgeted for and if not we can do something else! We have unexpired WDW park hoppers that I'll take along in case we want the second day. I know there is a lot of debate about whether it is a good idea to use WDW tickets at DL because they are worth more at WDW but since we are going to DL this fall DH doesn't want to go back to WDW until 2008 now. We had planned on going in 2007. Poor DH can only handle so much Disney I think, and to be honest I found our last trip when we went only one year apart we needed to make the space in between longer to make it more magical. Anyway, can't wait to walk where Walt walked and see the original park and - yes I know, smaller - castle!
Deb

DH talked to his relatives last night. They are our hosts in LA and want to come with us to DL. Bless their hearts, they don't need to do that, but anyway. We will probably exhaust them with our fast pace 'commando' style tour of the park. I guess good option is there will be two more adults so we could split up if there are things some of the children want to do more than others. I remember when we went with my parents to WDW (MK) and it was like pulling around a lead balloon to have a 4 year old and two 76 year olds with us, but those are good memories... you just have to adjust your pace I think. I get to the parks and I want to MOVE and get to the rides. Will have to come up with a schedule for when we get there. I think Pirates will be the first ride! Deb pirate: pirate: pirate: pirate:

Mid-week days are traditionally smaller attendance throughout the year, so I would have suggested Tues. - Thurs. also, as opposed to Monday. But maybe at that time of year it won't matter so much? With such a short time there, I'd be taking any advantage I could get!

:cool1: The plan right now is Monday DL and if we want another day go back on Wed. That gives us the flexibility to see if we were able to do enough on Monday or not. I think DH's relatives are taking off work on Monday too to go with us. Can't wait!!!! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter