One Day Only for Universal Hollywood

gemduncan

Mouseketeer
My daughter (age 10) and I will be visiting my brother in early June. He lives 40 minutes from Universal Studios. My daughter is a huge Harry Potter book fan (never saw any of the movies but loves the books). She wants to go to HP World while we are there. We will only have 1 day to spend there. What would you recommend to do? Anything that I need to buy in advance or fast pass?

Check out some of the stickies for some good info. There is Harry Potter stuff in both parks. With one day at a busier time of year, it is probably ideal to pick one park to visit. Or, you could splurge with park-to-park tickets and express pass - it is likely too busy to enjoy both parks via standby lines.

Definitely get tickets in advance. Check out which attractions are at each park and choose which appeals more. Also check out the various restaurants in park or City Walk - City Walk is very convenient for meals, but with one day you may prefer to eat in the park to save time. The HP restaurants are worthwhile...

She's asking about Universal Studios Hollywood, which unlike Orlando, has 1 park. It's honestly fairly small compared to Orlando, and you can definitely hit everything in one day. Make sure to get on the Backlot Tour!

Buy your tickets in advance online because you are able to get into the park one hour early. If you're going in June, definitely get there right at park opening, then go straight to Forbidden Journey (if she is okay with high-intensity rides). You can get onto the other rides in Wizarding World right after that. There aren't many compared to Orlando.
I would only buy the Express Access (fastpass) if you are getting into the park later in the day or have limited time, since it will probably be busy.

Buy your tickets in advance online because you are able to get into the park one hour early. If you're going in June, definitely get there right at park opening, then go straight to Forbidden Journey (if she is okay with high-intensity rides). You can get onto the other rides in Wizarding World right after that. There aren't many compared to Orlando.
I would only buy the Express Access (fastpass) if you are getting into the park later in the day or have limited time, since it will probably be busy.

When looking at Universal Studios Hollywood, it looks like there are only 2-3 Harry Potter rides. Is that correct? Is it worth the price to visit for Harry Potter World in Hollywood Studios? We would probably spend a full day there (9am until close).

there are 2 rides in wizarding world in hollywood,forbidden journey and flight of the hippogriff. The whole wizarding world there isn't that large really.
it is worth it to go see at least once for a HP fan also there are other rides and shows in the rest of the park to see and do to fill out the day.

Our first visit we spent the morning in HP land, ate lunch there at the Three Broomsticks, and then checked out the rest of the park. The shops are fun to walk through. We got the kids the wands that you can use to make things happen in some of the shop windows and wandered around doing that as well.

When looking at Universal Studios Hollywood, it looks like there are only 2-3 Harry Potter rides. Is that correct? Is it worth the price to visit for Harry Potter World in Hollywood Studios? We would probably spend a full day there (9am until close).

I think it is worth it for fans of HP. The area is very immersive and well done. As for the rest of park, even if you don’t like simulation rides, I still think you would enjoy the Studio Tram Tour and shows which are unique to the park.

Just like with USFlorida, I’d you open the day up to more than just Potter, your day can be even more fun.

I can’t imagine only going to wizard of world on either coast, personally.

Thanks everyone! My daughter and I watched a few YouTube videos of Universal Studios Hollywood today. She is excited for Toy Story land and Simpsons...and of course Harry Potter. Now the question is...2 days at Universal or 1 day at Universal and 1 day at California Adventures?? I am terrified of roller coasters but she loves them and my brother will go on the rides with her.

I don't think Universal is worth 2 days ESPECIALLY if it means giving up a day at California Adventures!

Thanks everyone! My daughter and I watched a few YouTube videos of Universal Studios Hollywood today. She is excited for Toy Story land and Simpsons...and of course Harry Potter. Now the question is...2 days at Universal or 1 day at Universal and 1 day at California Adventures?? I am terrified of roller coasters but she loves them and my brother will go on the rides with her.
Are you going to California or Florida. TSL is in Florida. I think you can do universal Hollywood in one day and give a day to dca if you are going to California.

universal hollywood is a one day park IMO

I will add that you should try and catch the jabbawockeez and water world shows if you can.

I would not spend 2 days at USH at all. It was a half day park at best to me, and I have a big HP fan in DD 11. You can do all of HPW in a half day. We got the unlimited EP so we could ride the rides as much as we wanted, but honestly since almost all are motion simulators, everyone was a little ill by mid afternoon (and they all ride every ride at DL and DCA no problems). We ate at Three Broomsticks because of the theme, but it as nothing special in regards to food (and even more expensive than eating at DLR to me!). We did tell our DD ahead of time that there are only 2 rides and then shops and that’s it, because when you say Harry Potter WORLD to an 11 year old, they are picturing something the size of DCA, all done in HP, which this most certainly is not. In addition, our kids have never watched The Simpsons, Walking Dead, Fast and Furious because that’s not the type of show we let them watch. So those rides/areas of the park didn’t make sense to them at all.

We did go to the animal show and liked it. We did not take the Back Lot tour because it was about 40 degrees (and you are in an exposed tram for an hour) in January, and because the movie sets we would see were again not really movies we let our kids watch.

My DD did LOVE the HP theming, but we could have done that and left before lunch easily.

Overall if you have 2 days, by all means do one at DCA!!

universal hollywood is a one day park IMO

I will add that you should try and catch the jabbawockeez and water world shows if you can.

Jabbawockeez is exclusive to Halloween Horror Nights. During the daytime they run the Special Effects Show in that theater.

thanks for the clarification,we only go during hhn anymore in hollywood.

Just wanted to clarify. By “Hollywood Studios” you mean Universal Studios Hollywood, right? (I’d usually take “Hollywood Studios” to mean Disney’s Hollywood Studios (DHS), which is one of the four Disney parks in Florida.)

Also, like another poster said, Toy Story Land is also in Florida (at DHS).

There is Pixar Pier at California Adventure (one of the two Disney Parks in Anaheim).

If the choice was between 2 days at Universal Studios Hollywood, or 1 day at US and 1 at CA, I’d 100% choose 1 and 1.

Just wanted to clarify. By “Hollywood Studios” you mean Universal Studios Hollywood, right? (I’d usually take “Hollywood Studios” to mean Disney’s Hollywood Studios (DHS), which is one of the four Disney parks in Florida.)

Also, like another poster said, Toy Story Land is also in Florida (at DHS).

There is Pixar Pier at California Adventure (one of the two Disney Parks in Anaheim).

If the choice was between 2 days at Universal Studios Hollywood, or 1 day at US and 1 at CA, I’d 100% choose 1 and 1.

I mean Universal Studios Hollywood in California

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter