One Day to do DCA/DL - please help with a few questions!

BabkaGal

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

Well, it looks like I will be going for a daytrip to DL and DCA in August! I am excited, but I would appreciate some help planning the day. I will be going with two other adults, both of whom have been to DL before but never DCA. We'd like to avoid the ridiculous lines (obviously) and check out the rides.

1. Can we do DL and DCA in one day? In DL, I'm interested in riding: Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Small World, and Pirates of the Caribbean. In DCA, I'm interested in going to California Screamin, Grizzly Run, Mulholland, Tower of Terror, Monsters Inc and Soarin.
Is this feasible to do all at once? We would be going on a Friday or Sunday (bad days to go, I know). Should we stick to DCA all day instead?

2. How should we tackle the parks? Start at DCA and go to DL later?

3. What order should we go on for the rides at DCA? I'm not sure which rides will be the busiest.

4. Where can I find a Dole Whip in DCA? I had one in WDW last year, and it was soooo good. :)

5. Any other tips/tricks? I'm in the process of reading the posts on the board, but any other quick ideas would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance for all of your help. Disney, here I come!

You can find Dole whips at the Tiki bar in front of Tiki room in DL.

I can't really help you with your other questions, since I don't go enough.
Don't forget the Indy-ride at DL, best ride ever!

Because DCA usually opens about 2 hours after DL you'll obviously have time to get somethings done at DL before hopping. Definitely plan to be at DL at least 20 - 30 minutes before opening. If it were me, I would send someone to get FP for Space, then go straight to Splash. Then, come back to Pirates and onto Small World. It should be time to ride Space and you'll probably still have time to get some other rides in. You could even grab another FP before leaving DL. Head over to DCA about 10:30 or 11:00. Send someone to get FP for Soarin & Grizzly. The Grizzly FP machines aren't connected to the others so you can hold FP for both. Go back over and ride ToT, then Monsters. If your FP time for Soarin is open, send someone to Screamin' (it's a hike!) to get FP then ride Soarin & Grizzly or save Grizzly till the end of the day if you don't want to get wet early. Ride Mulholland and it should be time for Screamin.

I don't think there are Dole Whips in DCA, but you can get one at the entrance to Adventureland right in front of the Tiki Room.

BabkaGal said:
Hi all,

Well, it looks like I will be going for a daytrip to DL and DCA in August! I am excited, but I would appreciate some help planning the day. I will be going with two other adults, both of whom have been to DL before but never DCA. We'd like to avoid the ridiculous lines (obviously) and check out the rides.
We went to DLR the first week of August in 2005 for four days, and was there on a day trip yesterday - exactly one year later. The crowds are much lower this summer and the lines not ridiculous at all.

The answers to your questions depend a lot on which day of the week you go. Weekends will be harder to do things. Friday would probably be better than Sunday to go.

You can pick up lots of tips in my long DLR Guide here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

BabkaGal said:
1. Can we do DL and DCA in one day? In DL, I'm interested in riding: Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Small World, and Pirates of the Caribbean. In DCA, I'm interested in going to California Screamin, Grizzly Run, Mulholland, Tower of Terror, Monsters Inc and Soarin.
Is this feasible to do all at once? We would be going on a Friday or Sunday (bad days to go, I know). Should we stick to DCA all day instead?
All feasible, especially if you get there when the park opens and start getting your FastPasses. Whether you should do it or not depends on your group and your stamina and whether you can get to the parks early enough.

First, make sure you get your FastPasses. I wrote up some tips on FastPass collection here: "Getting the Most Out of FastPass During High Season" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=885132

Yesterday we got to the parks before 8AM opening and were close to the front for rope drop. Here is a rough summary of what we did (we did 22 rides in all - 14 at DL and 8 at DCA):

8AM - Got Space Mtn FP and rode some FantasyLand rides

9AM - Rode Haunted Mansion and POTC and got Indiana Jones FP and Splash Mtn FP

10:15AM - Hopped to DCA - rode Monsters Inc and got FPs for Soarin and Grizzly RR. Rode California Screamin standby (a 7 minute wait at 10:45) and got a FP set for California Screamin. Rode Soarin with FP, rode Screamin for a second time (with FP this time - but the standby line was still not bad). Rode Grizzly with first FP set and got a second FP set for later. Rode Screamin for 2nd time with FP this time, and then got another FP set for potential use later.

2PM - hopped back to DL - got Buzz LY FP and rode Space Mtn with FP from the morning, and got a second FP set for Space Mtn at 3PM with return time of 8:40PM.

3PM - saw Parade of Dreams

4PM - Rode Splash Mtn and Indiana Jones With FP

5PM - Hopped back to DCA again to see Block Party Bash. While there decided to use our Screamin and Grizzly FPs and rode Screamin for the 3rd time and Grizzly for the 2nd

6:15PM - Hopped back to DL. Got another Buzz LY FP and rode Buzz twice with FP. Rode Splash Mtn for a second time thru the single rider line.

8:30PM - Got to hub to see Remember Dreams Come True fireworks show. Could have gotten there at 9PM and still gotten a fine spot.

9:45PM - Rode Space Mtn a second time with FP and then left

BabkaGal said:
2. How should we tackle the parks? Start at DCA and go to DL later? 3. What order should we go on for the rides at DCA? I'm not sure which rides will be the busiest.
Get to DL before the park opens. If you are driving for a day trip, drop off your party at the Harbor Blvd entrance at 7:30AM (on an 8AM opening day) so they can get in line and then park your car and rejoin them before 8AM.

Go to DL for the morning and get your FastPasses and ride some of your thrillers thru standby. If you want to do your full DCA ride list, hop to DCA when it opens (10AM ??) and get your Soarin and GRR FPs right away, and ride Monsters. Then ride your other rides or get FP - should not need FP for ToT in the morning.

If you have not seen Turtle Talk With Crush that is highly recommended.

Hop back to DL at maybe 2PM when you are done with DCA. Use your FPs from the morning and then ride your other rides.

BabkaGal said:
4. Where can I find a Dole Whip in DCA? I had one in WDW last year, and it was soooo good. :)
Tiki Room at DL.

BabkaGal said:
5. Any other tips/tricks? I'm in the process of reading the posts on the board, but any other quick ideas would be wonderful.
Here are three more: Get there early. Get there early. Get there early. Oh, one more. Have a blast.

Hydro Guy = I'm lost so I guess I need to go back and read your DL guide for WDW vets again. How did you get so many fastpasses... if memory serves me right you have to wait until you are allowed to get another one a certain time. It looks like you got several within a short time frame. Am I confused or am I mixing this up with the Universal system (can't remember what that was called but the machines did not work as well as the WDW fastpass system).
Deb

calena said:
Hydro Guy = I'm lost so I guess I need to go back and read your DL guide for WDW vets again. How did you get so many fastpasses... if memory serves me right you have to wait until you are allowed to get another one a certain time. It looks like you got several within a short time frame. Am I confused or am I mixing this up with the Universal system (can't remember what that was called but the machines did not work as well as the WDW fastpass system).
Deb
Sorry, in my effort to summarize I did not give details and thus confused you.

For regular guests using FP, you can get another FP set 40-120 minutes after you got your most recent FP. So on Aug 2 here is how we did FP (this is not a list of everything we did at DLR - just the things related to FP or will help one understand our schedule related to FP):

8AM - got Space Mtn FP (return window 8:40-9:40AM - next potential FP at 8:40AM) and then headed to Fantasyland

8:50AM - tried to get Splash Mtn FP, but the ride was down and when that happens they turn off FP machines. Decided to not lose the FP opportunity and headed to Indiana Jones to get a FP there

8:55AM - got Indiana Jones FP (return window 9:35-10:35AM - next potential FP at 9:35AM)

9:35AM - got Splash Mtn FP - the ride was back up (return window was about 10:30-11:30AM)

10:15AM - hopped into DCA - DL FP windows do not apply at DCA

10:20AM - got Soarin FP (return window 11:00AM-12:00PM - next potential FP at DCA at 11:00AM)

10:25AM - got Grizzly RR FP (this is disconnected from the DCA FP network and thus the next 11AM FP time did not apply - the return time for GRR FP was 11:05AM-12:05PM)

Rode Monsters Inc and then California Screamin thru standby and when we got off Screamin it was almost 11AM and I could get the next DCA FP at 11AM.

11AM - got California Screamin FP (for a second ride later - return window 11:40AM-12:40PM - next potential DCA FP at 11:40AM)

Rode Soarin with FP and had lunch.

11:55AM - rode California Screamin for 2nd time, this time using FP - although the standby line was not that long - maybe 15-20 minutes

12:00PM - got off California Screamin and got a second FP set for Screamin just in case we came back to DCA later that day - we were thinking about hopping back at 5PM for the Block Party Bash which we had never seen - return window was 12:45-1:45PM - next potential DCA FP at 12:45PM

12:05PM - rode GRR with FP

12:15PM - got second set of FPs for GRR for same reason as Screamin in case we came back - and once again could do this because GRR is disconnected

2PM - hopped back to DL

2:15PM - got Buzz Lightyear FP (return window 3:05-4:05PM - next potential FP at 3:05PM)

2:20PM - used Space Mtn FP from first thing this morning - standby line was 60 minutes - we waited 10

3:05PM - while DS13 held a seat for the 3:15 Parade of Dreams I got a second FP set for Space Mtn (return window 8:40-9:40PM - since the window was 5+ hours away (i.e., over 2 hours away), the 2 hour rule applied for next potential FP and hence I could get the next DL FP at 5:05PM

3:15PM - watched Parade

4PM - used Splash Mtn FP from early morning - standby line was 60 minutes - we waited 10

4:30PM - used Indiana Jones FP from early morning - standby line was 45 minutes - we waited 10

5PM - Hopped back to DCA to watch Block Party Bash in Sunshine Plaza

5:35PM - used second California Screamin FP set to ride Screamin for third time (I like this ride but once would have been enough for me - DS13 pushed for the second and third ride and we were able to work it in). The standby line was about 25-30 minutes if I remember right

5:55PM - used second GRR FP set to ride GRR for second time

6:10PM - hopped back to DL

6:15PM - could have gotten another DL FP set at 5:05PM if we were in the park, but we were at DCA. So now I got a second FP set for Buzz Lightyear even though we had not yet used the set I got at 2:15PM. The return window was 7:10-8:10PM. The next potential DL FP was at 7:10PM.

6:20 - had dinner

7PM - rode Buzz Lightyear using first set of FPs

7:15PM - rode Buzz Lightyear a second time using second set of FPs

7:30PM - went to Big Thunder Mtn RR to get a FP set (which we rode standby at 8:45AM with a 2 minute wait). BTMRR always has FPs available at this time of day, but the FP machines were turned off. I was so surprised by this that I asked the CM and at first he gave me the easy answer that BTMRR had run out of FPs for the day. When I responded that BTMRR never runs out of FPs at 7:30 in the evening he agreed and gave me the more complicated answer that someone had tampered with the BTMRR FP machines in some way and they had to close them down. The standby line was posted as 35 minutes so we decided to skip a second ride on BTMRR. If were so inclined at this point we could have gone back to Buzz Lightyear and gotten a 3rd FP set there but we decided to call it quits for FP that day.

7:40PM - decided to give Splash Mtn another shot. We had already rode it once this afternoon with FP. The standby line was now 60 minutes and we did not have any Splash FPs. Since there were only the two of us today, we decided to do something I have never tried before which was use the Splash Mtn single rider line. This is where you agree to have your group split up when they need a single rider to fill a log. We went to the FP return line and asked for single rider passes of which we got two - one for each of us. We were directed to walk into Splash Mtn thru the exit and when we did this we were directed into a special single rider line where there were already two people. After a few minutes they were selected and then we lucked out big time when they needed two people quickly and did not have time to check the regular line for a group of two and told us to hurry to the front log. So we got to ride together after all and we waited about 5 minutes altogether.

8:30PM - found a spot to rest our tired bodies in the hub and waited for fireworks to start (55 minutes away) - could have still gotten a good spot at 9PM but we were not taking chances plus we were pretty tired

9:25PM - watched fireworks

9:50PM - used second set of Space Mtn FPs for a second ride

All in all we got on 22 rides and used 6 FP sets at DCA and 6 FP sets at DL, plus one single rider pass at DL Splash Mtn. And we would have had a 7th FP set at DL Big Thunder Mtn RR but they had to shut down the FP machines early. Plus we got to see two parades and one fireworks show.

The only times we truly hurried was first thing in the morning to get Space Mtn FPs and then to Fantasyland. And then we hurried when we hopped to DCA for the first time. I was planning to get to DCA to 10AM but we got stuck in the POTC line when the ride broke down when we were almost on the ride and this delayed us getting out of DL and into DCA. So we hurried from POTC to DCA. Other than that we just walked at a reasonable pace.

For everyone's info, my detailed FP advice is given here:

"Getting the Most Out of FastPass During High Season"
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=885132

Most impressive schedule keeping HydroGuy - one tip not yet mentioned I don't believe would be to eat at off times [lunch at 11, dinner around 4] and you can avoid some of the longer lines at the traditional times. Why waste time in line when you could be enjoying the rides?

We were there in late July - did two half days. On a Friday morning, we were at CA when it opened, went straight to Soarin', then rode Grizzly and California Screamin and were out of there in less than an hour and a half and back over at DL and in line for Space, with only a 25 min wait. Even after reading all of HydroGuy's tips, we did both days without getting any FPs - it just never worked out that the times were going to work with our schedule. But absolutely read his guide, be at DL before it opens, do what you can there, then be at CA when it opens, do everything there, and then go back over to DL, and you can do everything on your list in one day.

And don't forget the Dole Whip - I had my first one at DL after years of going to WDW and never getting one! That's the only thing we did both days!

MouseDog is right that with the way crowds have been lately FastPasses are not mandatory. It depends on what you want to do and when. If you want to ride headliners mid-day then you will want a FastPass for sure - Space Mtn, Splash Mtn, Soarin, etc. But if you decide to do those early morning then you can do them without FastPasses. We did a lot of the headliners mid-day and thus FP was helpful. We rode other non-FP rides in the morning - Peter Pan, Matterhorn, etc. Plus if you are in a certain area and can get a FP without going out of your way it is worth doing. We tried to not use up excessive time getting FPs but got them when we were in the area.

Remember that even though you have a FastPass, that does mean you get to walk right onto the ride. It is still a 10-15 minute wait on most rides with FP - although some like Buzz Lightyear and Grizzly RR tend to be only be 5 minutes max. We got onto GRR in 3 minutes at mid-day (I remember this because I was asked to take a card with me thru the FP line so they can measure wait times).

Get the fast pass for Splash Mountain FIRST or you will have to wait forever in line later that day. Go to the rides you want to do FIRST; DCA is a quick run thru...make sure you do Soaring over California at DCA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter