One parent,three young kids,possible or dangerous?

Lili's Mom

Earning My Ears
Hi This is my very first post, please excuse...
I am a recently divorced mother of three girls, ages ,2,5,and 7. Before I was divorced, I made big plans for Disney and saved the money to go. I got my girls extremely excited, and now this. Do I still go? Alone yet? Would this be a dangerous thing to do in this world today? I tried so hard to get another adult to travel with me. Most of my relatives cannot afford this trip, or cannot get the time off. My mother and sister are a nervous wreck just thinking of me taking them alone...any advice for people who have done this? Please help....

I'm a single mom and I travel with my kids solo all the time. If you feel comfortable then I say go for it!

It will be more challenging than going with another adult, but in other ways it is so much more freedom. As long as you are aware of the potential dangers and take precautions your trip should be as safe as any other persons. One thing I would suggest for safety is to leave an ittinerary with someone you trust and make arrangements to let them know you are ok. It will make your family feel more comfortable too. ;)

After four trips solo I am not sure that I could do WDW with another adult. The kids and I do what we want to do when we want to do it. It is such a great time to spend uninterupted with my kids and we really look forward to spending these vacations together.

If you have any specific questions just ask!

I went alone with a 5yo and a 7yo. We just had to have reasonable expectations of what we could and couldn't do. We had been before, and my 7yo was comfortable going on some rides alone. Otherwise we would have skipped them, since there was nobody to baby swap with. (My then-5yo would not go on Space Mountain, for instance. She still won't, and she's 9 now.)

It will be even more challenging for you with a 2yo, but you'll still have fun even if you can't do everything. Be sure to take it slow, don't push them too hard, and definitely get a double stroller.

I would try again to get a relative or friend to go with you. Even a reliable teen would be great...an extra pair of hands, and someone to baby swap with. (Baby swapping is taking turns riding rides and watching little ones. The second adult gets to go through the fast pass line instead of waiting in the regular line.) My mom goes with me now and loves it almost as much as the kids (now 11, 9 and almost 3) and I do.

(I'm only a single parent at WDW, BTW. DH has "been there, done, that not interested anymore." The rest of us have "been there, done that, going back!")

Edit: The second adult won't cost you any more money for the room. You can still get a room for 5 at the All Stars, since one of yours kids under 3. If you watch the codes at http://www.mousesavers.com you may be able to get a room there for as little as $55 a night.

I am married with 5 cherubs 5 to 13. I have taken mine alone to the beach, to the park, to science centers, museums, and would definetly take them to Disney alone. You should take a stroller with you, saves rental fees, and can do many rides all together. It will be a special time for the 4 of you after a difficult time in their lives. You may even come back with a ton of laughs at some of the goofy things you all do. Just relax and enjoy the Disney Magic and each other. Hope you have a great trip.....faith, trust, and pixie dust to you!

Well, I hate to be a party-pooper, but three years ago my kids were 7,5 and 2 and I think it would have been extremely difficult to take them all to Disney at that age. I would take two anytime anywhere, but there's something about not having that third hand to hold the third child, you know... But, you know your kids and if they are very well behaved and you are comfortable, I don't think it would be "dangerous" - just exhausting.

Advice:

Try to do sit-down meals so that you are not trying to manage all three AND carry food for 4 back from buffets. Take food to do breakfast in the room, except for maybe one character breakfast that is served "family stye" instead of buffet. Liberty Tree Tavern and Garden Grill also offer character meals that are served family style.

Be sure to put good ID on your kids in case one gets out of your sight.

Go off season - you don't want to be watching three in peak crowds.

I love the idea of taking a responsible teen. Esp. if you are driving, this would only cost ticket and meals and would be a great help to you.

You're a great mom wanting to take your girls. Have you considered leaving the 2yo with Grandma or your sister and going with just the older two? Grandparents are watching our 1yo so we can focus on our 4 & 7 yo for our trip next month. It's hard to leave the youngest. I go back in forth between looking forward to doing things with the older kids without worrying about diapers, naps, etc and knowing that I am going to miss the little one terribly. I know families do WDW with babies all the time but we feel like we will get more out of the trip if we don't take him this time. Not to mention saving the cost of an airline ticket for him. We will try to budget and plan another trip when he is 4 or 5 yo and can maybe remember some of it.

I just took my three girls in August. They are 2,6, and 9. We did US/IOA for 3 days and 6 days at WDW. My oldest is two years older than your oldest, and is very helpful. We had a great "girls only" trip, but had visited in April and December with Dad too. It was nice that we had had the two previous trips, so that we all knew what to expect and what we wanted to do. My mom and mother-in-law were very nervous for us, but we had a wonderful time. We went at our pace and didn't have to rush as we did when we were there with Dad. We did have to miss a few rides, but my 2 year old is very tall and quite the dare devil so we were able to go on most of the rides the older two enjoy. The most difficult thing was carrying counter service food and trying to make sure we were all together, but as I said earlier, my 9 year old was a big help. The biggest relief for me was taking a towncar, and staying on site for both areas andnot having to drive from one area to another. It was probably our best visit yet!

I have three boys, 1, 3, 7, --- I have gone many places with them alone but not WDW. Right now, my problem is my one and 3-year-old will, at any moment, decide to go the way they want. My seven year old is getting to be some help but nothing to the point where I'm ready to take my eye off him.
Yet, I would still say you should do it. The thrill rides, thunder mountain, splash mountain, Kali River, Test track are going to be your challenges. Your two oldest are tall enough to do them (my 3yo does them). But unless your 2 yo is 40 inches tall and brave, your oldest kids will have to do them without you. But even you avoid these rides all together, you'll still have a blast.

When are you going (that could make a big difference with the crowds)?

The thrill rides, thunder mountain, splash mountain, Kali River, Test track are going to be your challenges. Your two oldest are tall enough to do them (my 3yo does them). But unless your 2yo is 40 inches tall and brave, your oldest kids will have to do them without you. But even you avoid these rides all together, you'll still have a blast.

If you decide to go with all 3 children, your older kids won't be able to go on the thrill rides. Disney's rule is that a 7 year old can ride by themself, but a child younger than that would need to ride with an adult. So the 7 year old and 5 year old can't ride together unless you bring another adult with you. I would personally be afraid to send a 7 year old alone on any of the thrill rides if they haven't been on the ride before. No way of knowing how scared they will get and they would have no one to help comfort them. Here's a link to the DIS height/age calculator to help you figure out what rides your group could go on.

You might want to look into child care for the youngest to give you a chance to do some of the "big kid" rides with the other 2. Here's a link to the DIS child care page. Looking at the list, the 2 yo is too young for the Kid's Club programs, so your options might be limited to in-room care, which is pretty expensive.
I don't have any experience with your situation, but if I was in it, I would leave the 2 year old home with grandma and take the older kids. I think a 2 yo would make your trip so much harder and a child that age would still see staying with grandma as an adventure.

Thanks so much for all the help, I will consider everything except leaving youngest behind, we've never been apart even for one night, and I don't think she'll be able to handle it. You know, I didn't even think about things like carrying trays of food and holding all those hands myself...maybe I definitely need another adult...thanks again.

On our first trip my DD was only 7 but I was amazed at how much help she was. My youngest was 4 so we took a stroller and her job when we got food was to push the stroller, when we got on the bus she was the official backpack carrier, etc. There are challenges to traveling solo but with planning and preparation it can be done.

As for the rides I knew we would come back one day so we went on the rides we could do together. That first trip it meant passing up Space Mountain, RNR, and Tower of Terror but we did so many other things that it didn't feel like we missed much. If anything riding It's a Small World 5 times that trip was an experience. ;) You can't do everything in one trip anyway and I find that now we focus on different rides each vacation and that makes each trip unique.

WDW is an exhausting vacation no matter what so you will need to plan some downtime for you so that you have fun as well. At their ages I would suggest an afternoon break. With all the walking the 7yo may just take a nap and let you have a little quiet time. I always join the kids in a nap if I'm lucky enough to get them to sleep.

You need to decide for yourself if you think this is doable. I admit I was nervous our first trip but I found it to be easier than a trip to the zoo after we arrived.

You know, I didn't even think about things like carrying trays of food and holding all those hands myself

While this is something to think about, I wouldn't cancel your plans if you can't get someone else to go with you. Granted, my experience is only going alone with a 5yo, but I am not a mom (yet, give me 4 more months!!!) so I also wasn't used to all of the little things that came up.

As far as hands go, I would rent a double stroller in the park each day. This will allow the 2 and 5yos to ride so you know where they are. The 7yo can walk next to you or hold the handle of the stroller. I am guessing that she is responsible enough to stay with you. When you get to a ride, take the hand of each smaller child and the 7yo can either walk beside you or hold a child's hand.

Also, if you are relying on Disney transportation at all, I would recommend RENTING the stroller rather than bringing your own. With three kids to get on the bus/monorail/boat/etc, I wouldn't want to have to mess with a stroller as well. While I know people like to have the stroller to get the kids back to the resort, this was never a problem for me. My sister (the 5yo) was plenty rested from having ridden all day that she was fine to walk to the busses and then back to our rooms. Of course, I'm not sure how this would work for a 2yo, but it's something to think about.

Carrying trays/plates of food will be a little harder, but I think it is doable also. For counter service, choose a seat first. Pick one close to the food counter and get the kids situated. Then, go up to the counter and order for everyone. If you food takes up two trays, they will probably let you leave one while you deliver the first to the table. For buffets, just let the 5 and 7yos carry their own plates. Since the buffets are all you can eat, they can just fill their plates a little at a time so that they aren't too heavy to carry. This leaves your hands free to hold your plate and the 2yos plate.

I would definitely say go for it. I also think, if you believe you can handle it, that this special trip with just you and the girls would be good for all of you. And I agree with you that the 2yo shouldn't be left out.

Have a great trip. I hope you keep your plans.

Yes, it is definitely doable!!! And, I would also suggest not leaving the little one behind - after all, this is a family trip!!!

I would suggest trying to stay on-site, as it would probably be easier for you to use the bus service; and bring some breakfast/snack foods with you for the room. I would also suggest doing counter service for some of your meals, and pick the "family style" character dinners or breakfasts. Have your older child help push the stroller for you. If you're able to go out to eat or go to the mall at home with the three kids, you'll do fine at Disney!

Take your time - enjoy Disney, and enjoy this very special time with your children!

I can understand that you would not want to leave the 2 year old away from you. I think my oldest was 6 before she stayed overnight anywhere without her dad or me.
Have you gone other places alone with the 3 kids that you can use to tell how well you could manage? If you haven't, maybe some full day "practice trips" will help you decide. A lot depends on how cooperative and reliable the 2 older children are and how long they can maintain that. If your group is really stressed after a half day trip, you may not be ready for a solo WDW vacation. For helping them to see which rides the whole family can go on, you could make a list by checking the height/age requirements charts. There are some sites with pictures of rides that you could use to make their own list of things (with words for the older child and pictures for the younger) you can try to go on. A lot of people don't like those toddler leashes, but you might want to consider those to leash everyone together. At least that way, you would know if anyone starts to wander off (or doesn't follow the rest of the group because they are looking at something).

I'm in sort of the same boat as far as restaurants if I go alone with my youngest DD. Because she uses a wheelchair and has other disabilities that make her impulsive, it's hard to get our food. I sometimes leave her at a table close to the ordering area, but I am a nervous wreck the whole time, because she is sometimes out of my view. In many of the fast food restaurants, there aren't any tables really close to the ordering area because the queques are really big and a little divided from the eating areas to make eating more peaceful. There also might be people blocking your view. I would not feel comfortable leaving the children at a table by themselves. You could be gone as much as 15 minutes by the time you get your order; quite a long time to kids of those ages. I don't think it's realistic to expect a hungry 7 year old would be able to keep both of the other kids seated that long. If one of the younger kids decides to go "look for mom", the 7 year old would be left trying to decide who to stay with. Other people might have more luck with getting someone to carry a tray for them, but we've never had good luck with it. With the ages of your kids, you can probably share meals because the portions are large (especially pop; a small is about the same size as a McDonald's large size). That would help you avoid having 2 trays. Also, if you check the menus before you go, you at least will have an idea of what types of choices you have . Here's a link to the DIS menu database: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/search.cfm
If you are going soon, the counter service restaurants might not be that busy so you could order your food, then get a table. Even in busy times, you can avoid crowds by eating at non-peak times - if you eat at noon, it will be crammed with people; if you eat at 2, you might have your pick of any table.

With eating breakfast in the room and eating one other easy meal in the room, you might be able to get down top only eating one meal in the parks. You could have a snack at the park, but eat back in your room during your afternoon break. Or, if you don't take a break, you'd probably be going back to your room in time to eat supper in the room. Quite a few people have posted about storing different types of food in a cooler with ice in the room with no problem.

I also have 3 children who will be 7(almost 8), 6 and 2 when we go to Disney in Feb. My husband is going with us to Florida, but will not be going to Disney with us. I plan on going to all park by myself with the kids, so I say go for it. I have let my 2 older ones know in advance that there are rides that we won't be able to go on and they are fine with it. They are just excited to go to Disney. My advice is to go and have a great time!!! :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

Go - have a great time!! Plan like crazy. Mine are 5, 5, & 2. We do most things on our own. You just need to really plan it out. Stay on site if at all possible. My twins are trained pretty well. I dont usually have to hold on to them. They hold on to me - onto my jeans or shirt or anything - its the rule so that when it was just them I would have a free hand. Now with the 2 year old, I hang onto him and they tag onto me!! I suppose we make a site but it works. If you can practice - like the zoo or museum. For food service - again plan ahead. Just before you eat if you see a drink vendor buy then and stick in the stroller - then park the stroller at the table - take the kids and get the food, one hand on the little one, one on the food and the others holding on to you. Everything is doable and fun if you plan a bit. Great time to make your own special memories. Have a fantastic time!! PS is you need a break sign the older ones up for one of the kid clubs for a few hours one night then its just you and the little one.

I think you can do it. I would not leave anyone at home either. Going off season will make a world of difference.If you have a choice of times, perhaps think of November or March or around these time avoiding the Hollidays. You want low crowds but not cold enough to have to deal with winter clothes for everyone.

I agree that planning to the 9th degree is the best bet. Also lots of talking to and reminders for the older two about what you can and can not do.If possible stay not only on site but on a monorail resort. Though I know this might not be a realistic plan if you are on a budget. Also put good ID on all the kids and teach them all how to find a CM if needed. Stop before everyone has reached the meltdown point.
I have only one DS but when he was a preschooler I kept my 3 nephews full time.They were at one point 1,2,4&4. We went places all the time. One thing that always did in a resturant (fastfood) was to give each of them a spot on the floor near me in line and they had to stay on that spot. Look for things like tiles on the floor. Then everyone had to hold hands and follow me with the tray. I think some sit downs, but not buffets would be a nice break for you too.

I do think you will be surprised at how much people at WDW will be willing to help you.Both CMs and guest. I find myself looking at WDW as being much safer that most places. Of course you would never let anyone take charge of your kids even for a second, but you can accept help with trays,getting your fastpasses etc. Cms will be glad to help you get everyone on and off rides that little ones need a hand for.
I would only not go if any of the three are very impulsive or hard to controll. Bet this year had been hard on them too. HAve a magical trip.

Jordan's mom

Go! You will have a great time. As for the trays I have allways had good luck having a cm help! I think you should go alone with the kids....You will be able to do what the kids and you want without having to make consessions for anyone else! This has been a very bad year for them even if they do not know it ..... I think one day they will look back and so will you and be so proud and thankfull that you gave them the hope that some dreams do come true.... Some promises are kept and you love them and will be there for them allways. (you should be so proud of yourself!!! You are such a great Mom to be thinking of doing this). I would stay on site, Bring or rent a double stroller, The plus of renting is that 3 small kids can fit if the older gets tired... The plus of a home one is resort use and a place to carry all that stuff your kids will want or need. I would make use of the life vests most of the resorts have free for kids use. I would also est in room for breakfast if you can and use all the kid freindly family meals you can. LTT in MK has a good one. CRT has a good breakfast that they serve you. In Epcot the new princess one is fun and I have had great luck with my 4 at the steak house in Japan(they cook in front of youand have fun drinks for kids and special chopsticks and fresh fruit). My kids like Coral Reef also( nothing like eating under the sea looking at all the fish) . You will only not be able to ride 6-8 rides in all four parks. I hope you have a great time....:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter