One time use points

ninafeliz

DIS Veteran
Can you buy one time use points if you don't actually need them for your stay? We would potentially like to book a welcome home stay that we weren't planning on using points for, we had planned to bank our points to use for a big trip next year. If we do book the welcome home stay (if they are able to find us a room at a resort we want to use the points for) we would prefer to buy the 24 points, to save as many of our regular points as possible to bank and use next year, to avoid having to borrow next year, or at least minimize the borrowing. However, obviously we don't "have" to buy them, since we have our full points for this year, we just already had them earmarked for a trip next summer. I'm thinking we probably can't do this, and we can ask during our welcome phone call tomorrow, but I thought I would ask since i've gotten wrong info from Disney in the past. I wanted to have an idea if this would be possible or not prior to the phone call.

I hope that made sense. I read the FAQ on one time use points but still didn't quite understand when and how you can buy and use them.

As long as you are booking 7 months or less, you can buy them to book a reservation instead of using your own points.

They can’t be bought during home resort time.

As long as you are booking 7 months or less, you can buy them to book a reservation instead of using your own points.

They can’t be bought during home resort time.
Thanks! So it sounds like maybe in this circumstance we could use them, if they find us any resort availability for a welcome home stay we want to book at (not meaning to sound too picky or ungrateful, it's just we are going for a short trip for a specific reason, so we will just choose to book a room on cash to stay in the area we want to be in rather than using points up and staying at SS, for example). It might not matter at all, since our stay is soon and they might not be able to find us anything anyway, but since it's in April if they do it sounds like we could buy the 24 points at $19 a point and still have those 24 to bank.

Why can't you buy them for your home resort at 11 months? For example, if we wanted one more night at our home resort but were, say, 11 points short, why can't you do it then?

When you are ready to book your stay, you call MS, you tell them you need to purchase OTUP to complete your reservation, and they turn you over to the people who make the sale. Then they transfer you back to MS to complete the reservation.

The points are only available at seven months because they are not assigned to a resort. You cannot buy them at greater than seven months out.

In order to offer them, they have to be for 7 months or less because then it doesn’t matter what resort points they are, Disney pulls them from what they own..that’s how I understand it.

Just be aware for future, the OTU points can not be used online so if you have a reservation with them and want to change it, you do have to call,

Hoping they can find you something. My waitlist for a 1 bedroom SV room just filled for 2 nights beginning of August So hopefully things begin opening up since we are not that far out from the 31 day mark when people cancel to avoid holding if they aren’t going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter