One week in Pacific Grove. ALL DONE!

cruisehopeful

DIS Veteran
Since I keep reading such great info in other threads about California trips, I decided this may be a good place to get some ideas. My adult daughter and I will spend one week in Pacific Grove in a timeshare. We cannot add any extra days. We want to do lots of hiking/nature stuff. We've never been to the area and will be driving up from southern California.

Yosemite is crazy with the waterfalls right now. I thought about driving over for a night during my week, but there is nowhere available to stay at this late date (visiting in June). Since we've never been to Pacific Grove, Monterey, Santa Cruz or Big Sur, I am thinking we could easily eat up our week just checking out all those places. I've been to Winchester Mystery House several times, but I don't think my daughter has. I may take her there if there are other nice things to do that day coming or going. I do understand we will have a lot of car time.

There is a restaurant I was going to visit in Big Sur, but it is closed now because they aren't getting enough business due to the bridge. I looked up another place and it is also close due to the bridge. Should we just forget Big Sur?

Any other must sees? Aquarium isn't that important to us since we both live in cities with aquariums, but we may go there - it just isn't high on our list. We are very interested in 17 mile drive, any beach or redwood hikes and anything unique to the area such as sea otters (which we never see down here).

A great place to see sea otters is Point Lobos. Carmel is a nice day trip; we love Tor House and Hawk Tower.
I used to take my mom to the English tea room in The Tuck Box - haven't been there in 10 years. Big Basin
Redwoods is about 90 minutes north. Great trails there and not very crowded - beautiful waterfalls.

The tuck box is awesome! They take cash only. 17 mile drive is very nice. We go down there every 3rd week. You can make a lunch and go picnic on the beach.

Look on groupon.com

living socials.com

for ideas and discounts in the area.

You can do whale watching.

If you like antiques there is a big mall on wave st near cannery row.
Hog's breath inn was very good in Carmel.

Any other must sees? Aquarium isn't that important to us since we both live in cities with aquariums, but we may go there - it just isn't high on our list. We are very interested in 17 mile drive, any beach or redwood hikes and anything unique to the area such as sea otters (which we never see down here).

You can easily spend a week in PG on the Monterey Peninsula without getting bored. First, don't write off the aquarium. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is amazing -- world class (disclosure, I work for the sister organization, Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute). Definitely do 17 mile drive, though that's more touristy than outdoorsy. For outdoors, a definite do not miss is Point Lobos State Preserve south of Carmel. Great hiking trails, amazing views, and you may very well see some otters (try the Whalers Cove area - they frequently hang out there). Of course you can also see otters at the aquarium. And I see them all the time in Moss Landing harbor, where I work.

For redwoods, definitely go to Big Sur. I believe that Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park is now open -- they have wonderful redwoods. Also, I know that River Inn is now open. They're a great place for lunch or dinner. If I were you, I'd then keep driving until the road closure at Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge.

Other highlights include Cannery Row, Asilomar Drive (free version of 17 mile drive), Carmel, Carmel Beach, and Carmel Valley. And all the above are just the points from Monterey south. To the north, there's Santa Cruz, including the Boardwalk.

HTH,
Bob

I lived on the Monterey Peninsula for 16 years and know it very well. Pacific Grove is a cute little town but all in all not a lot to do. It's a town struggling to keep businesses. There's a fairly new restaurant that opened at Lovers Point called the Beach House. It's popular but I know a reservation is a must. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is right on the border of PG (Pacific Grove) and Monterey. It's located on Cannery Row which is a very popular tourist destination. There is a place to eat called Awakenings. Incredibly popular with locals and I highly recommend. They close at 2 p.m. I would also recommend the 17 mile drive and while in that area, stop at The Lodge at Pebble Beach. Try to be there around sunset. They have a beautiful outside patio with spectacular views of the ocean and at sunset a lone bagpiper comes out. Nice place to relax at end of day and have a drink. There's also a restaurant called Roy's there that is also popular. I would recommend heading into Carmel. Specifically Carmel by the Sea. (There is Carmel, Carmel Highlands, Carmel Valley and Carmel by the Sea). Carmel by the Sea is a cute town with many shops and restaurants. Some high end like Tiffany's. My 3 favorite restaurants of all time are located in Carmel by the Sea. They are: Club Jalapeno, Little Napoli, and Tommy Woks. Club Jalapeno has strange hours and not open every day but by far the BEST Mexican food I have ever eaten. While living there we would always take our guests and relatives to eat there and they loved it. Little Napoli requires a reservation. Tommy Wok is off the beaten path and very small and gets crowded fast! A must is Carmel Beach. One of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Very dog friendly. Many like to get a picnic basket and stay a while. A good place to see the sea otter is Fisherman's Wharf which is right down from Cannery Row. Also a lot of sea lions there. Another place to see them is in PG/Monterey, right along the coast. I know you said you weren't too interested in the aquarium but they have several sea otters that they are very proud of and can see up close. Carmel Valley is a good place for wine tasting. Specifically just keep driving down Carmel Valley Road. Carmel Highland is the place for hiking and scenery. If you keep driving thru Carmel Highlands, that same road takes you into Big Sur. There was a very large fire there last summer (there was one before that several years before) and it has impacted bridges and roads. You can go to Hearst Castle but don't have to take the route via Big Sur, there's another way less crowded. Santa Cruz is all about the beach and the boardwalk and is about 45 minutes North of Monterey. Have a wonderful trip!

We love the tea room Eddison and Melrose. My daughters and I are big tea goers, and we all ranked that as one of our very favorites. I like the loose tea she sells also.

One time, we got sandwiches from Ike's Love and Sandwiches and went to a picnic at a nearby park. If the weather is nice, it might be fun to do that. There are so many lovely ocean front spots in Pacific Grove and Monterrey.

I second Point Lobos. Really beautiful.

Take a historical tour of the cannery area because it's more than just touristy stuff.
https://www.seemonterey.com/listing...-tours/2458/#sm.0016jbmyq3x7e84115a1fg2h8tvpy

Asilomar State Beach is a beautiful place to walk.

There is the Big Sur Roadhouse in Big Sur. Not sure if that is the one you were thinking of that is closed? I thought it was still open.

This is the restaurant I wanted to go to. http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/ It looks like it has reopened.

They may or may not be open, I don't know. Their web cam shows no seats occupied on the deck, which normally has a wait list to get a seat.

But there's a bigger problem with going there. It's south of the still-closed Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge. The only access is from the south. That means either a very long trip via Paso Robles, Cambria, and back north (probably 4 hours total each way from Monterey), or a slightly shorter trip via the very twisty and somewhat scary Nacimiento Road.

The close-by Post Ranch Inn is helicoptering in their overnight guests; but that's a very expensive resort.

SandyinMonterey is correct - Nepenthe's is mostly known for its (world class) views, rather than its (overpriced) meals. That said, my DW and I like to go there a couple times a year, when possible. I find it worth the high prices to get the views. YMMV. But with the bridge closure, it's impractical to get there and back from Monterey for a day, unless you're very, very motivated.

Bob

SandyinMonterey is correct - Nepenthe's is mostly known for its (world class) views, rather than its (overpriced) meals. That said, my DW and I like to go there a couple times a year, when possible. I find it worth the high prices to get the views. YMMV. But with the bridge closure, it's impractical to get there and back from Monterey for a day, unless you're very, very motivated.
Thanks for the info. I will skip it this time and hope to check out someday in the future.

After going through all of this with my daughter, we nailed down the most important things to us and are leaving a couple days open for bonus activities that weren't top priority for us. I know there are lots of restaurants recommended above. I am looking for a couple ideas for our longer days when driving back.

We will be driving back from Big Basin Redwoods to pacific Grove after a long day. Any specific good place to stop to eat to break up the drive? We will be dressed casual/dirty hiking.

Also, looking for a good stop for food on the way back from San Jose to Pacific Grove. I'm sure we will see lot of chain restaurants in San Jose, but am wondering if there is something more unique further on the drive back. We won't be dirty/hiking on this day, but will be dressed travel casual.

There is the Red House Cafe in Pacific Grove, they are small but good. I also love Rosin's in Downtown Monterey. They have a homey feel and the food is good and the dessert's are huge!

Also, looking for a good stop for food on the way back from San Jose to Pacific Grove. I'm sure we will see lot of chain restaurants in San Jose, but am wondering if there is something more unique further on the drive back. We won't be dirty/hiking on this day, but will be dressed travel casual.

My suggestion is chain, but it's also one that started in San Jose. It would be Gordon Biersch in downtown San Jose. If you go definitely get the garlic fries.

Coming back from Big Basin along highway 1, I can think of a couple of places. There are two near each other in Aptos. Cafe Sparrow is rather high end, and thus pricey. But good. It's on Soquel Rd in Aptos. The Red Apple Cafe is a more down-to-earth cafe, with good food at decent prices. It's off the Rio Del Mar exit of Hwy 1.

Or, if you continue down Highway 1 to Moss Landing, you can go to The Whole Enchilada. It's a bit of a different Mexican restaurant, specializing in both Mexican seafood dishes and in regional Mexican fare. I love anything with the Oaxacan mole sauce - a very tasty type of mole that tastes almost like chocolate. It's also a short walk from where I work ;-)

Bob

I also love Rosin's in Downtown Monterey. They have a homey feel and the food is good and the dessert's are huge!

That would be Rosine's on Alvarado in downtown Monterey. My SIL and her family agree with you; they love it. I'm more neutral on their food. But you're right, the desserts are huge, and to die for. If you go on weekends, there's usually quite a wait; which confirms that others agree with you about the food.

I am back and just wanted to thank everyone again for all the suggestions. We did almost everything we wanted to do. There were some things we never got to because of time constraints. We listed everything from here that we wanted to look at, checked yelp and Tripadvisor reviews and then narrowed it down some more and added in some other stuff. The stuff posted here was the biggest help in planning this out.

I got to see lots of sea otters in the wild which was a bucket list item for me. Moss Landing and Point Lobos were great for that, as well as 17 mile drive. Tor House and Hawk Tower were a lot of fun. Ended up not going to Big Basin because of some road closures and my GPS not accepting the road closures, but we did enjoy Henry Cowell Redwoods where we saw lots of banana slugs.

A couple days ago while we were driving to Point Lobos, I saw a street sign that said 1 was open to Big Sur and the businesses were open. Since it was our last day in the area and we had given up on Big Sur, we didn't go. We already had a pretty full day at that point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter