Opinions Please, from those who have used FOL Access and/or been over Xmas?

cathyz

Mouseketeer
I've got a strange thought...

We've got ressies at the Grand Floridian 12/25-1/1 with a GREAT Ap rate of $239 vs. rack rate of $575. I can get HRH with a AAA discount for $165, but only 12/25-12/27; New Years is sold out.

My ultimate would be to stay at HRH for 2 nights, then go to GF. BUT...the AP rate for the GF is only good if it includes 12/25! I can't afford $575/night.

So...would it be Crazy to keep my 7 nights at the GF. We'll check in on the 25th and do the Disney Christmas thing (we have PS's and all). Go over and check into the HRH on the 26th (carrying an overnight bag), and use FOL access for that day. Stay at HRH that night. Use FOL for the next morning (to finish whatever we missed), and then head back to the GF.

Basically, it would cost me an extra $165 to have FOL access.

Now, we're not extremely wealthy people. But, we are already spending a few thousand on this trip. DH absolutely HATES crowds & DS's are 6 & 9...so, anything to help avoid crowds would be worth it!

I know crowds have not been all that big at USF/IOA as of late. But, I'm pretty sure that Christmas week will be different. Don't you think?

For those who have used FOL or have stayed during Christmas week, is my idea CRAZY? THanks! Sorry so Long!

Cathy-

May I recommend the VIP tour? For the price of $120 per person you will see the attractions in the park in a five hour period. You will not wait in line, at all. You will also have priority seating at least one live show (Animal planet, sinbad, etc. depending on park). This includes admission, allows you to stay in the park after the tour so you can use your ticket from the tour for Express-If you're an AP holder, you even get a lovely discount-

Call 407-363-8295. It's a great way to see the park and will help with the husband who doesn't like lines.

Thanks Notatourist!

My only problem is that that's a tour with other people, right? Plus, you don't get to pick the rides? With a 6 yr. old, I need to be careful - he won't want to ride everything. And, this would only be for 1 park, right? I'd like to try to see our "must do's" at both parks.

If I'm totally wrong about this tour, somebody please let me know. I just wonder if it would really work for us.

Thanks for your help!!!!

a vip tour is probably your best option as notatourist suggested. plus, the fotl for onsite guests is only valid with a room key...so, you wouldn't be able to utilize that benefit untill after you checked in which we be about 3:00. go with the tour-they are well
worth it, esp. during the holidays! the tour is only valid at one park, unless you purchased a 2day 2park tour (alot of money!).
however, any rides that you do miss on the tour (which won't be too many) you can always take advantage of later on in the day after your tour.

I would take the HRH at the AAA rate or see if they have the Sea-to-shining sea promotion, fan club or entertainment rate (if you can obtain the card) in any case, you can check in to the HRH and receive the room key as early as 8am on your check-in day. You won't know your room number, but you'll get full FOTL access at IOA/UA for the day. I would never take the tour at $120 per person..that'd be $480 total plus admission price! Anyway, your family sounds like ours, and wouldn't be happy on a tour. The HRH hotel is great! We'll be doing the same as you over Pres Week with paying for 2 hotels for 1 night during our trip just for the FOTL access!:jester:

Cathy,

You dont have to wait until 3pm to check in. On our last trip we checked in at noon, our room wasnt ready, they held our luggage and gave us our room keys. When we went back to the HRH at around 4pm, our room was ready. Good luck with your trip.

Patty

Here's another option for you (we were faced with the same dilemma as you earlier but worked it out a different way.) You can book the Portofino Bay for 3 nights at $330 beginning the 29th (they told me it was a 3-night special - it's actually rack rate but a 3-night minimum is required.) That way, you only move once. While it will cost you $150 more than your idea (which I had considered before we decided to cancel the WDW portion of our trip in favor of Vero Beach) think of it as your life of luxury trip--the "best" hotels at both resorts. I'd make the reservation quickly as HRH is sold-out and my guess is Portfino will be as well (1-800-UESCAPE). You should also scroll down and buy the 3-day passes for the price of two refernced in an earlier post. Since it looked like you were planning on going to both parks on the same day, I assume you were going to buy multi-day passes anyway (the 3rd day could be used on another trip or sold on ebay--you'd probably get $150 back.) Even if you choose to go back to WDW, there's nothing to say you can't visit WDW while staying at Universal (my guess is that if you've never been, after one day at Universal, neither you nor your boys will want to go back to WDW--it's not like you're going to get early entry--ok, a cheap shot.) IMHO, Portofino is far superior to the GF (I do not like the GF though-I've always felt it was overpriced and overrated.) You can also use the pool at HRH: thus, your boys will get two pools with water slides. Hope to see you poolside on the 30th (my nephews who will be with us are 6 and 9 and chose to cancel the WDW part rather than the Universal part.)

Okay-You have a 6 year old who won't want to see every ride? Talk to your guide. They will work with your group to figure out what you can and cannot see-many cases the guide can talk the child into riding, or even wait with the child if the parent is okay with it. Many times, in a group format, if there are several kids in the group, they will ride together-The groups are up to fifteen people max.

Yes, you don't pick the rides, but, on a five hour, you see all of them.

Really, you do.

After the tour, you can upgrade to whatever park you did not see, and go see the "Must see's" there.

You can get a room at HRH for $129 a night. You can get it online at www.loewshotels.com. The membership is free and they will give you a membership number immediately and you can use it to make your reservation. Hope this helps.:D :D

I had also heard something about a really nice reasonably-priced NYE party or dinner at the Sunset Grille at HRH for families (we'll be leaving on the 31st).

I don't think there's anything resembling a discount between Xmas-New Years at HRH. I've had mine bought from a consolidator for Dec 26-28 since July, and paid $150 then. Now it appears to be in the low $200s, at least. Discounts are great, but rare over the holidays! I don't think your plan sounds bad, though, since you can check in early, get a room key to use for FOTL access, but use it all day on your check out day, even after you've officially checked out...
Terri the Yoopermom

Gosh! I can't believe all of the responses. Thank you everone for your opinions!

I really love the idea of the VIP tour. But, I can't get past the $480 for the tour of 1 park vs. $165 (maybe lower) for the HRH and any rides we choose at both parks for 2 days. To do a tour for both parks would be $960. Now, DH hates lines - but...that's a bit much!

I already purchased the 3-day tickets (for the 2-day price) through the internet offer. That's my other point. The tour includes admission, which we already have covered.

I know FOTL is not the same as the Tour, the tour has 1st priority & we may need to wait up to 15 mins with FOTL. BUT, it seems more flexible IMHO. I'm not anti-social - believe me - but with the tour I would worry about who we would get "stuck" with (other participants). And, with 3 boys (6, 9 & 44), I need flexibility. If they decide to spend 2 hours at Seuss Landing and ride Cat in the Hat 5X, I'd like to have that option. I know we wouldn't ride Hulk or the other big coaster (can't think of it right now).

I'm going to look into Portifino, even though the boys really have their heart set on HRH.

Thanks for all of your help. Right now, I'm still leaning twds. HRH for the 26th. But, and and all opinions are greatly appreciated!

OK, since you said all opinions are welcome, here goes. Your idea for getting FOTL access is a great one (I even considered it myself) and while I take no particular pride of ownership in my suggestion, I think it is the best way to go if you can afford it. Do you really want to schlep even one bag back and forth? This is your vacation too. Do you really want to pay for something you won't be using? While I realize the discount off the rack rate is substantial (I had booked it myself until I got a better a deal at Vero), let's be honest here: it is an absolutely ridiculous rack rate which nobody in his or her right mind would pay with the current state of the economy and the stripping of Disney onsite benefits. While you would also be paying rack rate at Portofino, perhaps Universal has a right to ask for it--it's a better hotel than anything at WDW, they are sold-out at HRH and it's at least closer to what would be a reasonable rack rate in ordinary times. If the kids are set on HRH, how much time are they going to be able to use it if during the less than 24 hours you will be there, you are in the middle of registering, checking-out and using two days of your passes. If you stay at Portofino, you can eat at HRH and swim at HRH. And at the same time, you are sleeping in the larger room at Portofino in much more luxurious surroundigs (truth be told, GF is our dream as parents, not probably what is on the top of our list for our kids) I really hope I don't offend because. I just think you'd enjoy Universal much more if you took it more leisurely. No buses, no monorails, just boats and feet. If you haven't experienced the Universal resort, you're going to be pleasantly surprised (and I'm afraid disappointed on the 27th when you have to leave.) And don't forget about NBA City.

I also forgot to mention that at some point in that 24 hour period, you need to sleep. And my guess is that if you call HRH on the 25th and explain, that you would rather stay there, there would at least be a chance they could switch it. (heck, i'd even trade rooms on the 30th--it's just that i did the same thing as the earlier poster--i bought my rooms from a consolidator back in July)

Stlrod,

I appreciate your insight, BUT what do you mean about calling on the 25th and having the HRH change it? I was planning to sleep at HRH on the 26th.

Although I must say that I am very seriously considering your idea of the 3 nights at Portofino. I called and can get the $330/night. Now I need to talk to DH.

Cathy,
My nephew who lives outside Fort Lauderdale recently met his father (who lives outside Phila.) in Orlando. They had a condo rented for the week and were doing WDW. They also wanted to do two days Universal/IOA so they got a room for one night at the HRH. They said it turned out to be a GREAT idea. They were there Thanksgiving weekend so the parks were crowded. They said it was definitely worth the price of the room. My nephew's children are two and four and they didn't mind taking whatever bags they needed and staying in a different room for one night. It was a special adventure.
I think your plan sounds great.
Have a wonderful time!

First, let me apolgize--I sounded harsh and didn't mean to. This past year, we have gone to the Disneyland Resort twice. It's taken a lot of knocks for DCA and other reasons. I thought it was an absolute joy to be able to walk from the hotel through Downtown Disney to DCA and Disneyland. Universal, aside from having some incredible rides (many of which you will want to experience more than once) is laid out the same way. And don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Disney (I'm DVC owner and will be staying there from the 22nd-28th--3 nights BW and 3 nights Vero). I just think Universal is working a lot harder than Disney right now to try to attract people. So, having apologized, lt me explain. I meant make the reservation at Portofino and then call the HRH directly from WDW on the 25th or 26th and see if there is any way they can switch you over from Portofino to HRH at that time--if they can't, perhaps even check again at check-in. While the odds may not be too good, at least you'll have a larger and more plush room at Portofino. Just a thought.

I had a nice talk with the HRH concierge today about New Year''s weekend. While we'll be leaving on the 31st, it sounds like they've got some neat things going on. I know on Saturday, the HRH will be having a character dinner (Scooby and Woody Woodpecker). I've been trying to get into Emeril's while the kids are at Camp Li'l Rock to no avail. I finally decided skip and we're going to try Mythos sans kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter