Orlando - rental car and sunpass/epass required?

mjonis

Earning My Ears
I've got an upcoming rental from Hertz from MCO to the HGVC on International Drive. I vaguely recall that section has some toll roads. I don't believe there's tolls from the resort to Disney (I-4 most of the way I think).

Someone mentioned that they no longer take cash on the toll roads anymore?

Do I need to add-on the sunpass/epass to the car rental?

I thought I read on the travelflorida site or something that *some* rental companies let you use the "license plate" scan feature and they just add the tolls to your rental?

Thanks!

Some exits are not manned and only take exact change. Getting from MCO to I-4 can be paid at toll booths along the way.

Last edited:
Some rental companies let you use the license plate scan procedure but the final toll cost is somewhat greater compared with paying cash (where permitted) or owning a Sunpass. Anyone can subscribe to Sunpass. Choosing the E-pass or Sunpass option offered by the rental company is not quite the same and it too will charge you a higher toll compared with owning/subscribing to Sunpass yourself. If you pay cash I suggest waiting in the attendant line and getting a receipt whenever possible.

I've got an upcoming rental from Hertz from MCO to the HGVC on International Drive. I vaguely recall that section has some toll roads. I don't believe there's tolls from the resort to Disney (I-4 most of the way I think).

Someone mentioned that they no longer take cash on the toll roads anymore?

Do I need to add-on the sunpass/epass to the car rental?

I thought I read on the travelflorida site or something that *some* rental companies let you use the "license plate" scan feature and they just add the tolls to your rental?

Thanks!
Your best bet will be just to pay the tolls at the toll booths on sr-528 between the airport and either International drive or I-4 (your only looking at a few dollars)
Hertz uses platepass to charge tolls if you want to use this option (and not stop at the tollbooths)
This "convenience" will cost you $4.95 per day plus tolls, but is charged for everyday of your rental (not just the days you accrue tolls)

Thanks everyone! I saw that Hertz charges (IMO) an exorbitant amount ($4.95/day up to a max of $24.95 PLUS the cost of the tolls).

But it sounds like the route I'm taking they *do* accept cash.

I had found a thread from 2 years ago that said the "cashless" places didn't start until around Miami, but that was 2 years ago.

Cashless has not made it's way to Orlando yet. Be aware that there are some small unmanned tolls in the area that require exact change. Make sure to have some quarters with you. We got off to gas up before returning our rental at the airport and the toll to get back on was unmanned. We managed to scrape together the coins required as the toll did not accept bills or dispense change.

For the short time that it takes to Q to pay CASH at Toll Booth it is well worth it.

What is 5 min out of your vacation trip .

Last time i went to Disney was 5 years ago and if you use Sunpass you actually het a discount on the toll price. You might want to check into that and see if they still offer that.

how rental companies handle the toll by plate system varies widely and impacts your wallet

as mentioned Hertz charges a daily fee for the duration of the contract

Alamo/National/Enterprise charge a lower daily fee and ONLY for days a toll is actually encountered. (encounter a toll you get charged the toll plus the daily fee and the fee covers you for 24 hours)

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

IMO this is worth factoring in when looking for your 'best deal'

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter