Osteoarthritis

Winchester24

Mouseketeer
Hi! I have osteoarthritis in my ankle and heel, and my tolerance for walking/standing is very unpredictable. It can go from perfectly fine to painful in a matter of minutes and with zero notice. I plan on utilizing the Disney transportation system as much as possible and taking regular breaks, and I am also considering DAS. Anyone else have osteoarthritis? Any tips or tricks for navigating Disney as pain free as possible? If you used DAS, how is it handled by CM's? I went on a trip to a local amusement park this past summer and was given a similar pass for the lines, when I returned at the appropriate time and went to the front of the line I was booed (I am told I am too young for this diagnosis and I don't look disabled). I am sure Disney handles this more discreetly, but I'm still a little nervous. TIA for any advice or suggestions!

I am not sure that you would qualify for the DAS if osteoarthritis is your issue. Disney usually will tell you that your issues can be managed with an ECV or a wheelchair. They usually don’t give DAS for mobility issues. If you don’t think you are ready for a wheelchair or ECV, you may want to consider a rollator so you will always have a seat. Disney has taken many of the benches so seating to rest can be hard to find. I hope you have a great trip!

As the previous poster said, it’s unlikely you will be able to get a DAS for what is considered a mobility issue, but no one can say for sure, so if you believe you need one, you should ask.

If you are granted a DAS, you won’t go to the front of the line when you return; you will go to the end of the FastPass line, which could be anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes long.

I would think getting a DaS is unlikely. when you go to Gr they will ask what are your concerns as it has to do with waiting in line. ( I am guessing your concerns are that you will need a place to sit in line, or that you will not be able to walk the line) if these are your concerns please get your self some type of mobility device ( and when I say no one will care that you loo young no one will care and the chance someone does, as one poster on here will say you just look at them and say oh bless your heart and move on) Disney has been taking away benches like crazy and Disney is much bigger then most theme parks

A DAS still means you will be on your feet. In fact, we have found that you walk more with a DAS as you visit the ride twice and there aren't many places to sit while you wait for your return time. As others have stated, a mobility device of some kind will probably be your best option. Most of the lines at WDW are mainstreamed so you would take your device with you. There are a few that aren't and for those just ask a CM what to do and where to go.

Have fun!

Thanks everyone! It's been many, many years since I have visited Disney and I did not know they removed some of the benches. That is definitely troubling. I figured the line would be shorter (more like a FP line) but figured I could find somewhere to sit and take a break in the mean time. Ugh. I'm hesitant to get a mobility device because I don't use one in my day to day life, but it sounds like it might be worth looking into. Chances are I will be fine the first day, maybe even the second, but by the third day I will likely be sidelined. Poo!

Prior to my Lupus diagnosis, I had an osteoarthritis diagnosis. My knee was pretty torn up.

I was able to, while using a good touring and scheduled rest days, tour without a scooter. I used a cane to help walk, and planned meals for when I knew I would be tired. I also used the pool for some short term therapy. It was cool, provided pressure and took the weight off of my knee.

Thanks everyone! It's been many, many years since I have visited Disney and I did not know they removed some of the benches. That is definitely troubling. I figured the line would be shorter (more like a FP line) but figured I could find somewhere to sit and take a break in the mean time. Ugh. I'm hesitant to get a mobility device because I don't use one in my day to day life, but it sounds like it might be worth looking into. Chances are I will be fine the first day, maybe even the second, but by the third day I will likely be sidelined. Poo!
What about a wheelchair that you can push and then sit when need be. You can even park it in the land or area you are in if you do not need it. And since you are taking Disney buss some of the lines can be quite long st the end of the day

You might consider renting a rollator since it would allow you to walk and provide a seat when you need it.

Honestly, most of the people you see on ECV's at Disney do not use them in everyday life. I didn't. But prior to bi-lateral knee replacements due to osteoarthritis, it was a necessity at Disney that I learned to accept. As people have said, you are unlikely to get a DAS since your issue is mobility related and the answer to that at GS will probably be an assistance device like a wheel chair, ECV, etc.

Remember, your resistance to the obvious solution will not only ruin your trip. Unless you are traveling solo, it will ruin the trip for your loved ones as well.

Okay, so maybe I am the oddball out here.

But I don't believe that everyone needs a scooter. Or a wheelchair.

For me, if someone goes through everyday life, visiting the mall, the local zoo, without any aid, including a handicap placard, I would think twice about recommending a scooter. Having a good touring plan, allowing for rest times during meals and planning down days or even partial days, will probably get most people through a Disney trip. Add to that a lower level aid, like a cane or maybe a walker, and they should be good to go. Obviously there are some exceptions.

And I don't see having to slow down, the same as having a trip ruined.

But that is just me.

For me, if someone goes through everyday life, visiting the mall, the local zoo, without any aid, including a handicap placard, I would think twice about recommending a scooter. Having a good touring plan, allowing for rest times during meals and planning down days or even partial days, will probably get most people through a Disney trip. Add to that a lower level aid, like a cane or maybe a walker, and they should be good to go. Obviously there are some exceptions.

But that is just me.

I'm assuming that you are speaking from your own personal experience.

I can only speak to mine. When I finally had my knees replaced, I was no longer able to walk more than 2 aisles in a grocery store. I did my shopping over the course of several days since it was all I could manage. I did not have a handicapped tag. I had walked the Disney parks for years but I reached a point where there was no amount of walking and resting that allowed me to enjoy the parks any longer.

Deciding to use an ECV was a very difficult decision, as it is for most people.

I'm assuming that you are speaking from your own personal experience.

I can only speak to mine. When I finally had my knees replaced, I was no longer able to walk more than 2 aisles in a grocery store. I did my shopping over the course of several days since it was all I could manage. I did not have a handicapped tag. I had walked the Disney parks for years but I reached a point where there was no amount of walking and resting that allowed me to enjoy the parks any longer.

Deciding to use an ECV was a very difficult decision, as it is for most people.
But yours is similar to what I am saying.

You couldn't go about daily life without help or lots of planning. If you have to do your grocery shopping over the course of several days, that isn't going about life without help. Whether you had a handicap placard or not.

I am talking about recommending a scooter for someone that shops without issue. That goes to the mall and walks around without a problem. Whether this is the OP or not, I don't know. But I refuse to jump on the bandwagon of recommending a scooter for everyone.

And just so you know, I own a scooter. Her name is Betsy and she is my best friend. I couldn't do Disney, or any other theme park without her. I also couldn't walk about Costco, Sams, the local zoo or the local mall without her. I know what it is to have to make the decision to buy a scooter.

You might consider renting a rollator since it would allow you to walk and provide a seat when you need it.
Honestly, it's generally cheaper to buy a rollator than to rent one. Amazon has some under $60.

Alternatively, cbeck with your local service organizations - Masons, Knights of Columbus, etc. Sometimes they have a stock of equipment to loan.

I used an ECV over a decade ago for a temporary problem.

For the past decade I did not use one because I could still shop, climb stairs, etc. But when I went to WDW I had to leave after 4 hours or less because I totally ran out of steam. I can’t tell you how many times I literally sat on a bench wondering how I was going to muster up the energy to get back to the park exit.

As of this year I no longer can walk at all without a rollator and can only walk a few yards with a rollator. Using an ECV is mandatory for me to do anything.

There are many rides at wdw that I can no longer do because I cannot transfer to the ride vehicle. I so wish I had not wasted all of those trips to wdw when I could only stay a few hours because I thought I did not “need” an ECV because I had no pain or overt mobility challenges.

As is often stated here - it’s not the diagnosis - it’s the NEED. Just because I could still walk and shop for an hour or two did not mean that I was capable of spending 5-6 hours at WDW much less a full day.

People should be encouraged to use the tools needed to have a productive day unless they truly are content with only having stamina for an hour or two.

But that is just me.

TOTALLY different things. the grocery store is not 10 plus miles of non stop walking and standing for as many as 10-12 hours. it's at best, a mile or two, a couple of hours, going slowly, with frequent stops to decide between grape and boysenberry jelly. . before my hip replacement, I used the grocery cart as my mobility aid. I also went at a snail's pace. the zoo was done in stages( and I can assure you my local podunk zoos are minuscule in size compared to Disney and have about 4 times the places to sit and relax.) malls were commando style: no idly wandering around the entire thing for me. all of which was done without any sort of mobility aid until the very end when I was pretty much bedridden at home.

as for resting at meal time: again, not always doable. more than once we waited for 20-30 minutes past our reservation time to be seated.. and again, no where to sit while you do. by the time you do get seated, you could be in so much discomfort that not even an hour of rest will do any good.

But that is just me.

I made many trips to WDW with my RA and Osteo and other stamina issues that I walked without help! I did enjoy the trips (?!), but the suffering I did afterwards with the above issues and the related swelling/sore feet really drained me.

My first trip using a scooter was WONDERFUL!!! I was able to withstand the day enjoying the parks (my DH is a commando-type park visitor - the more you are at the park, the more value you get for the money you spent on tickets!!!!). It was not the slow pace of walking that was required by me to walk without help and that also made DH a happier visitor to the parks (he does not like to walk slow). I was able to go to the parks, spend the day, enjoy my evenings more and was not totally drained and needing a vacation at the end of our vacation!!

A "lower level aid" would still have left me on my feet and drained me. It was getting off my feet during all the walking involved at WDW that makes the difference. Yes, I can live normally without a mobility device, but I use shopping carts when I shop (rarely visit a mall anymore! :>() and can/need to only be on my feet 1/2 hour at a time usually per my RA doctor. I am heavy, but my issues make it harder for me to lose the weight (I know, excuses, excuses!!).

I guess I just really want to say that using a mobility device like a scooter helped me enjoy our trips to WDW a whole lot more! Except for the part of trying to drive it in a crowd!! Yes, I could do without it, but I would really pay for it afterwards and that, in itself, is enough of a reason to consider using a scooter!

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm not sure what I am going to do, I'm a little scared I may be getting myself in over my head, but it is good to know I have options.

why are you scared?
Just from reading what others have said (not just in this thread) about how much their (normal) feet hurt at the end of the day or how many miles they clocked in a particular day. I knew there was a ton of walking, but seeing "9 miles on day one, 6 miles on day 2" in a thread really puts it into perspective. I haven't been to the parks since I was a kid (one time to the Boardwalk for NYE as an adult) and I guess I underestimated the amount of walking and lack of opportunities/places for rest. You don't remember being exhausted as a kid-just being excited. Plus this diagnosis is fairly new and was only discovered (and triggered) after a traumatic injury, I haven't had time to fully adjust or accept the limitations I guess.

Just from reading what others have said (not just in this thread) about how much their (normal) feet hurt at the end of the day or how many miles they clocked in a particular day. I knew there was a ton of walking, but seeing "9 miles on day one, 6 miles on day 2" in a thread really puts it into perspective. I haven't been to the parks since I was a kid (one time to the Boardwalk for NYE as an adult) and I guess I underestimated the amount of walking and lack of opportunities/places for rest. You don't remember being exhausted as a kid-just being excited. Plus this diagnosis is fairly new and was only discovered (and triggered) after a traumatic injury, I haven't had time to fully adjust or accept the limitations I guess.
I see I would really look into getting either an ECV or a wheelchair.

If you think you can do more walking a wheelchair that you can push when need to and sit when need too ( If you have one or two people that can push it when you need a break then this might help)

if you can not do a lot of walking then an ECV might be the way to go even with ( either mobility device) you do not have to use it all the time, You can park it and go into a shop and look around. Park it if the line is not long ( both distance and time) or park it in the land and look around some. Yes, there is a lot of walking at Disney. But with a good touring plane and not crisscrossing the parks will also help cut down on the walking that you do. I hope you have a great trip how long will you be at Disney for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts