OT:ASL for prayer

mbb

<font color=green>Wishin' & Clappin' & always Beli
Would anyone be able to help with sign language for the Hail Mary?

I direct our music ministry in our church, and teach grade 2 faith development...this year, we're participating in a "Festival of Choirs", singing the Hail Mary/Gentle Woman/Ave Maria...and I'm feeling "inspired" by the Candlelight Processional pictures, and reading Talking Hand's trip reports..:)

Anyway..I'm hoping for some DISers kind help with some simple gestures...for promoting a little awareness in our community, of teaching our children a new way - and opening their eyes a little to a way of communication that may help someone present that evening...

Any help, links...much appreciated:)

:sunny:

if you could give me the words to the song or all of the songs I can work on them and give you a gloss for it. I'm Baptist so don't know Hail Mary

I've found a couple of websites with a "dictionary", and even one with the actual prayer...but I don't know what some of the abbreviations are...
http://www.theinterpretersfriend.com/songs/ave-maria.html

Words are...
Hail Mary,
Full of Grace
The Lord is with you.

Blessed are you among women,
and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God,
Prayers for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen

Thank you so much...:)

Mary Beth

Ave Maria (Hail Mary)
Translated into ASL by David Bar-Tzur
Created 8 March 2005.
(2h)alt.HELLO MARY. GRACE OVERFLOW INSIDE-SELF YOU. GOD BLESS YOU MORE-THAN ANY WOMAN. PLUS GOD BLESS SON YOU GIVE-BIRTH-TO, HON.-INDEX JESUS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes: (2h)alt.HELLO - alt. salute with (2h)[Bb].
2H - 2 handed this is like a military salute but both hands alternate. the handsahpe is a B

MARY - [M] touches NDS temple, is drawn across forehead, and touches DS shoulder.
Handshape is an M and the sign starts at the left temple and goes over the head to the right temple as if you were putting on a head covering
GRACE - [O^] or , held high and PO > Heaven, supinates and opens to [5] while being brought towards head. For an animated gif of this sign, see Animated dictionary of religious signs - Deaf Missions: Grace.
we do this a little differently take the right hand go from a 5 handshape towards heaven and close it to an O handshape then bring down to the heart opening to a 5 handshape like you are grabbing it from God and putting it in your heart

OVERFLOW - [5], PO down, FO away, covers top of , PO > DS, FO away, and FT wiggle as the hand moves away, like a cup overflowing.
Left handshape is S in front of chest. Right is a 5. Left hand doesn't move and right hand goes over it with fingers wiggling like a cup oveerflowing

INSIDE-SELF - The FT of [C] are held against the chest and stuff the FT of [O^] into the [C] twice. Make a C with left ahnd and place it at heart. Use tips of right hand in O handshape to put something into the left C

MORE-THAN - (2h)[B^], touch FTs, then DH moves up in an arc towards the signer and away. For a QuickTime movie of this sign, see ASL browser - more than.
the sign more which is both hands flattened Os then take right hand and move it in an arc above the left

GIVE-BIRTH-TO - S-ENTER.
ok we do this one of 2 ways
1. left hand flat i front of body. right S goes under the left as if something was emerging.
2. left hand same as above. right hand flat goes under in same way as above
HON.-INDEX - , PO up, FO > the thing to be honored.
both hands B point towards God
Lyrics:

Ave Maria gratia plena. Dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Jesus.

Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with you. Blesses are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus

When do you have to do this. I can see if I can do a video and send it to you with the signs and the entire song

Talking Hands said:
.....When do you have to do this. I can see if I can do a video and send it to you with the signs and the entire song

For Monday afternoon:)

Please don't go to huge amounts of difficulty...I just need some help, well, "translating" ;)

Does DS - mean the signers "dominant sign", ie, the hand they write with???..and NDS would be non-dominant?? So that if I were to make the "m" letter with my DS - which would be right hand, and the NDS would be to my left side??

Or do I have it all wrong?

Again, sooo many thanks! I want to be able to show the children correctly, and it be a gift for them to have...and to share.

Right but since this will be a choral performance all should follow your lead and use right as the DS (dominate side) NDS (non-dominate side)
you have it exactly right. If you have any problems just email me ok. I wish you were here so I could actually show you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter