OT..Good Bye Gord Downie, may you rest in peace.

I am still struggling with this as well and feel silly about it. I think it's a mortality and age issue for me. Back when the Hip was always in the background.. the soundtrack to my youth so to speak.. I was blissfully unaware that people die of cancer, that we get old, that some days memory haunts you. I knew that stuff was there.. but it was nothing but conceptual for 20 something me..
It's just an eerie feeling, and I look back now with more years on me and more memories and that soundtrack can still bring back strong memories and I am now completely aware of how fragile life is. It just makes me sad, and grateful and feeling time speeding by.
I don't think I'm ready for the Documentary yet.

And Lisa and Dancin'.. just sending love and strength to you both. I understand it must be hard to feel all the things this is bringing up and it's brave of you to share. While I have some personal stories of cancer, they aren't brain cancer. And it sounds like it is just a vicious beast of a disease. :sad2:
I think that's hitting the nail on the head for sure. When my brother passed that was the first time in my life that I felt my age. In my head I was always still 20.

I have to say I did not shed one tear last night watching the doc. It was so well done and it left me feeling impressed by what an amazing human being Gord Downie was. It was a beautiful kiss goodbye.

And I realized something trivial and completely off topic thinking back this week - I MISS ALBUMS.:drinking1 We just played some over and over in that university apartment. Sinead's Lion and the Cobra and I Do Not Have What I Haven't Got, Aerosmith's Pump, The Cure's Disintegration, The Smiths, Steve Miller Band Greatest Hits and Tragically Hip's Up To Here. Some just were mainstays. And mixed tapes. Oh the joy of mixed tapes. :love:Such great years.

The Cure and The Smiths........I think you are my soul sister.

Dancin Disney style, thanks for sharing your story. Cancer can just steal peoples lives. My wifes brother was diagnosed with terminal cancer almost exactly 4 years ago, he kept the news secret from his Mother and 3 sisters. Finally he was admitted to the hospital, on Dec 20 I took my 14 year old son out of school for the day to visit his Uncle ( they were very close) we had a nice visit and he asked me about our upcoming trip driving down the Florida Keys, which was a trip he always wanted to do. I told him it was on hold for now, he made me promise that we wood still do the trip. I agreed. Sadly he passed away the next evening, his funeral was on Christmas Eve day. He was only 56. A week later I kept my promise and we drove from Miami to Key West, my dear wife shedding tears along the way. I watched the doc last night as well, the Hip song that really gets me is the beautiful " Its a good life if we don't weaken "

" lets swear that we will
get with the times
in current health to stay
lets get friendship right
get life day to day"

Take care everyone!

I have to say I did not shed one tear last night watching the doc. It was so well done and it left me feeling impressed by what an amazing human being Gord Downie was. It was a beautiful kiss goodbye.

Me too.

I really enjoyed the second show, the flashbacks. Even beyond them. Seeing Erika Ehm and Denise Donlon. Early days of Much Music. I could recite Up To Here back and forth and sideways. But after that I really only followed their hits. And it was a remembrance of how many I had forgotten.

And I found it interesting how the lyrics are written and we all decipher different things. Even how Gord Downie thought of other meanings after writing them himself.

Dancin Disney style, thanks for sharing your story. Cancer can just steal peoples lives. My wifes brother was diagnosed with terminal cancer almost exactly 4 years ago, he kept the news secret from his Mother and 3 sisters. Finally he was admitted to the hospital, on Dec 20 I took my 14 year old son out of school for the day to visit his Uncle ( they were very close) we had a nice visit and he asked me about our upcoming trip driving down the Florida Keys, which was a trip he always wanted to do. I told him it was on hold for now, he made me promise that we wood still do the trip. I agreed. Sadly he passed away the next evening, his funeral was on Christmas Eve day. He was only 56. A week later I kept my promise and we drove from Miami to Key West, my dear wife shedding tears along the way. I watched the doc last night as well, the Hip song that really gets me is the beautiful " Its a good life if we don't weaken "

" lets swear that we will
get with the times
in current health to stay
lets get friendship right
get life day to day"

Take care everyone!

First, :hug: to your entire family.

Thank you for highlighting your favourite. I did not know this song at all. Am listening to it right now. It's incredibly beautiful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!