Other 95-26-77-81 campground options...

I'll fly for this Mickey Mouse outfit!
Ok... new plan is take 3 days going home western route rather than the 2 long, hard days up 95. So, PaHunter(Chris) had mentioned Fort Chriswell RV Park, but will now likely stop a ways before that first night and further up toward PA second night. Any other good overnight campground suggestions are appreciated!

Jim we hit Camp Lake Jasper in Hardeeville SC as our 1st stop on way home. It is at exit 8 off 95 about 2 hours North of St. Mary's KOA. The pull thru sites are pack earth and some sort of pads are required also a goo water pressure regulator as they have very high pressure at the tap. Very easy on and off 95
Almost forgot the neighbors chickens can get a little loud in the morning.

Well, you're in their neighborhood, Mike. The chickens probably run the local HOA the same way the squirrels run the Fort.

Bama Ed
No in the morning they are the DPOP. Dog Park Occupation Project. Fortunately the Savage Sisters are highly capable Chicken Rustlers

Gonna try a couple of KOA’s that basically make three equal driving days...

Point South KOA Yemassee, SC just a bit before 26 and then Harrisonburg/Shenandoah Valley KOA off of 81... should make for 3 equal days of driving...

We drive from Chesapeake, Va and stop at Savannah South KOA in Ga. And we stop at Santee Lakes KOA SC on the way back.

Savannah South is clean. Good mix of permanent folks and overnighters like us. Bathrooms, pool, and playground were decent and clean. Right off the 95 and was on the water.

Santee Lakes wasn't bad. It is right on the lake and right off the 95. My only real complaint was there was sand everywhere. I didn't use the bathroom there and I think the pool was closed. Playground was nice. We tracked a lot of sand into the trailer.

I think any of the koas are good on the way. All close to the highways and easy in and out. All had freindly staff that we stopped in. One was a bit scarry, more abondoned vibe and run down then anything else ( it was november though). But it was still freindly. Worth the extra 10 20 bucks a night to be close to the roads. And most are passing through, so lots pack up first thing in the am!

We have stayed at St Marys, KOA, at exit 1 in GA. Have also stayed at New Green Acres in SC. There are a few campgrounds off of 81 in Williamsport MD. If you get as far as the Carlisle, PA area, let me know I have a 50 amp hookup in the driveway, and we can run you a water hose.

We have stayed at St Marys, KOA, at exit 1 in GA. Have also stayed at New Green Acres in SC. There are a few campgrounds off of 81 in Williamsport MD. If you get as far as the Carlisle, PA area, let me know I have a 50 amp hookup in the driveway, and we can run you a water hose.
Won’t get that far, but thank you for the generous offer!

Went with the Point South/Yemassee KOA... got here about 8:30. Took a little stroll in the dark... seems like a very nice/well maintained KOA. The train caboose cabin looks pretty cool. Will try a couple quick pictures in morning before pulling out. A lot of highway overnighters still hooked up to trailers or toads (one next to us was also was stopped at Pilot gas station at S.C. exit 5 when we were before coming up to KOA here at exit 33. Three tent families over by playground/pool area. Bunch of cabins occupied. Gentleman who guided me to site was very nice. The lady at the desk seemed a bit harried/flustered, so wasn’t super pleasant, but was not rude or anything.. like I said, just a bit harried for unknown reason... Shenandoah KOA Harrisonburg, VA. is destination tomorrow. Google says 7:50, so planning about 10 hours with stops.

@4077 Point South is one of our favorites. Though sometimes it can be tight with all the trees. Our backup in New Green Acres, it is adequate for an overnight but I don't expect much. We hope you enjoyed the Harrisonburg KOA. Other then the road getting it it feels like you are going to run out of space, the campground was nice. We had sites 53 and 38 when my friend just bought their toy hauler. We enjoyed just how quiet it was and we had space to sit and relax and not feel like we were on top of each other.

@4077 Point South is one of our favorites. Though sometimes it can be tight with all the trees. Our backup in New Green Acres, it is adequate for an overnight but I don't expect much. We hope you enjoyed the Harrisonburg KOA. Other then the road getting it it feels like you are going to run out of space, the campground was nice. We had sites 53 and 38 when my friend just bought their toy hauler. We enjoyed just how quiet it was and we had space to sit and relax and not feel like we were on top of each other.

I would love to stay at Harrisonburg again for a relaxing visit for a few days, but loved it as a stop on the way too...got there early enough to enjoy walking around it a bit. My wife kept saying, "Where are we going?" as we drove down that road..lol...but it was a very scenic small road. My kids loved looking at the abandoned small house on the inside of that first 90 degree right turn on way in (they love old abandoned buildings). I think our site was #26.

We kept that on our favorites list. The old building seems to stand the test of time. I have never taken a close look at it, but I swear it's one that manages to age well somehow. At least you have the big station cross the street on the way out if you need to top off or anything.

We are planning a trip to Hatteras soon, right now the plan is for a stay at Enfield/Rocky Mount KOA. I know this one well, I Was stuck there for 2 days when my old truck dropped an injector on me while towing down to Disney. It will be a good after work stop on the way south, then only 3 hours to Hatteras give or take traffic.

Has anyone stayed at any Petersburg VA campgrounds that have any recommendations?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter