Other Canadian Cancer Story

I am glad to see an update. Please know that we are all still following along and praying (in our own way).

You're in my thoughts Excited Family. I smiled when you said your husband's mischievous ways were back. Often I think how people suffering through cancer must want a normal day so to speak, where people treat them the same as always.

Anyway, nice to have some better days. :hug:

I totally agree with both of you. Almost seven years ago, I was dealt a double cancer diagnosis, ovarian and uterine cancer. The ovarian cancer was/is especially scary, because there are not a lot of good outcomes with that type of cancer. Thankfully, I completed treatment and am still doing well. But, if I had a dollar for every time someone told me to be positive and fight (I carried on with my life, laid low when I was sick with chemo and bought myself an excellent wig, some people never even knew I was sick, so basically I was a positive/happy person without people feeling the need to constantly tell me that!!) I would be rich!!! I knew people meant well, but I hated hearing that!! It was almost like if I was a good girl and stayed positive and fought, everything would be all right, and of course when you are dealing with cancer, there is nothing further from the truth. Obviously , a positive attitude helps, but its such unfair advice. I was under a lot of pressure to keep our home life running and somewhat normal for our children, that the last thing that I constantly needed to hear, was "be positive" when I was already trying to do that to the best of my ability! What would have been REALLY helpful to hear, would have been, "you are doing GREAT!" "This is really unfair that this has happened to you, but I am so proud of you" etc.

Also my Dad was the most positive person I have ever known, even in the face of his own grim cancer diagnosis. If anyone could have fought cancer away with being "positive" and "fighting" it would have been him!

So much of this (and other people's posts) resonates with me. My mom went through countless rounds with breast cancer (primary, recurrence, second primary, metastasis, recurrence of mets after stem cell transplant); I hate when people say that she "lost her battle".

But, I love these cards, because they say what I generally actually want to say.

https://emilymcdowell.com/collectio...ts/your-illness-is-not-a-journey-empathy-card

em_gc267_illness_journey_empathy_2_c854c914-eec6-43ca-af93-23351431d9f5_1024x1024.jpg

First of all, John VN my thoughts are with you and THANK YOU!!! The links you included to the Inspire website have been incredibly helpful. I spent way too long this weekend reading as much as I could find. There was even a post listing all the side effects of the drug Mike is now taking and advice on how to deal with them. Amazingly helpful. I hope everything goes as well as possible with you and your ordeal.

This weekend was great in that Mike found he could not nap! Finally it looks like the after effects of radiation are improving. He now stays awake all day. He still isn't doing much but he is awake and alert. I even saw a bit of his mischievous side on Sunday. We picked up his pills yesterday morning and he has now taken 2. He did feel a bit more fatigued yesterday evening but no other side effects yet. He is even wondering if he can go back to work this week!!!!

Mike has a CT scan tomorrow morning which will be what all future scans are compared to so that we know if the drug is working. I must admit that I am a lot more optimistic now than I was a week ago. This is one psychotic roller coaster ride that I really wish we could get off. Thanks everyone for your support. Sending support to everyone else dealing with this nightmare, especially Rodeo and John VN.

Glad to have been a little helpful and Thank You TO ALL.

Now is the time for you to be making sure he has a will written. I know its unpleasant but it will help with legalities after his passing. Also, talk to him about his funeral. What kind of ceremony he wants. I know its hard but having dealt with both parents with no will and dealing with my aunt who also had no will it makes things harder for the family just when they need as much help as possible. My thoughts and prayers with you and your family on this journey.

The continuing support on this thread is amazing. Thank you.
Mike started the afatinib (EGFR targeted therapy drug) last week on Monday. So he has been on it for 10 days now. He noticed a difference really fast. He can stay awake all day and even did some minor chores in the past week. He also slowly started back at work at the end of last week. As of yesterday he worked a full day. He naps in the evening a bit but it is a huge improvement.
He has had a couple of side effects but nothing continuous or too much to deal with. We are still waiting to hear the results from his last scan. He has to have blood tests next week to check for liver or kidney toxicity. He also has to have another chest x-ray. Hopefully his lung has re-inflated and hopefully the fluid has stayed away. His voice is still very gruff and I have trouble understanding him when he speaks! I have partial hearing loss so that is my problem!
Mike is still trying to gain back some weight and is having fun doing so! His healthy diet has tilted more to a fresh bread, cheese and butter diet!! As long as it makes him happy. He looks so skinny and frail now. I will update when we learn something new.

Thank you for the update! It's great to hear about Mike's improvements, excited! I'm happy for you that you are able to enjoy some levels of normalcy in your life. Enjoy these moments - like the expanded diet and trying to get some weight back on. I remember the days of a pudding only just to get some meds in, of course DH's cancer was a digestive cancer so much more challenging to his ability to eat and enjoy any food.

I am so happy that you are seeing improvements in Mike, that is such excellent news. We are all here for you and pulling for your family! :grouphug:

Good news that he is feeling better and eating! Just being able to get back into some semblance of a normal day (even if this is entirely not normal) can do wonders for everyone’s state of mind. Hope you guys can enjoy some good family bonding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter