Other Options...

Sure, what's your instagram name or feel free to send me a PM? I'd love to hear what you're planning. Other then Air/Room/Car I haven't prepared anything. We'll be at Lake Louise for 4 days. It's not a lot of time, but hopefully enough to see some of the beauty of the Canadian Rockies.

sent you a PM

We did Banff on our own a few years ago - DD was pretty small, so not very exciting activities. Columbia Icefield was very fun!

Those of you who did Tauck Bridges Costa Rica - how many were in your group? What month did you go? Any other info you can share regarding the experience?

We did TB over New Year a couple of years ago. I think there were about 40 people. One 3 generational group of 9, several sets of grandparents with one grandchild.
We liked the trip a lot - I think the ziplining was a highlight for us, even though it was in absolutely pouring rain. We also liked the chocolate place.
Since we did it, they have reversed the order of the tour and changed all the hotels.

I will, for sure. We absolutely loved our Yellowstone trip, so I have very high expectations for the next trip.

sorry to tag on so late but my family are looking at a guided trip to Yellowstone and looked at ABD will be myself age 47, my husband age 48, daughter age 12 and on age 11. What company did you use? We are active, can hike, but not rock climbers!! thanks

I think you should come with me age 49 and my daughter who will be 12 on the Backroads camping trip June 25 to June 29! It has 2 days in Yellowstone, 2 days in Grand Teton and we are spending time before and after in Jackson and then driving on our own to Glacier National Park. It's a mixture of hiking and biking but it's very flexible in terms of the activity level for each day. They have a special rock climbing just for the kids.

sorry to tag on so late but my family are looking at a guided trip to Yellowstone and looked at ABD will be myself age 47, my husband age 48, daughter age 12 and on age 11. What company did you use? We are active, can hike, but not rock climbers!! thanks

I think you should come with me age 49 and my daughter who will be 12 on the Backroads camping trip June 25 to June 29! It has 2 days in Yellowstone, 2 days in Grand Teton and we are spending time before and after in Jackson and then driving on our own to Glacier National Park. It's a mixture of hiking and biking but it's very flexible in terms of the activity level for each day. They have a special rock climbing just for the kids.

We are planning for next summer. Are you going this year? Who did you book the tour with?
Thanks!

Yes, this year. We are gonna go on the Rhone river cruise next year. I booked directly with Backroads. I know they also have a non-camping version of the trip, but my daughter really wanted to do the camping. Good luck!

We went with Austin Adventures. A mix of hiking, rafting, zip lining, horseback riding. Nothing too taxing for kids as young as 7. It was fantastic- highly recommend!

Wildland Trekking also does guided Yellowstone trips...both camping and lodge-based. We had an excellent experience with them on a Havasu Falls hiking trip this past Thanksgiving, and I wouldn't hesitate to book with them again. I've looked at the lodge-based tours, and I think they are very affordable (5 days for ~$2000 per person).

We did TB Costa Rica. There were 36 of us and we loved the trip! We went July 2017. Wide range of ages and fantastic activities and surprises. Tortuguero was our favorite part.
The chocolate place was excellent too.

Has anyone here gone on river cruises with Avalon or Viking? I’m looking into possibly going with them on a Rhine river cruise next spring.

Any suggestions or recommendations for Egypt? Right now it's looking A&K or wait until maybe ABD does one.... ?

Any suggestions or recommendations for Egypt? Right now it's looking A&K or wait until maybe ABD does one.... ?

I wouldn't travel with A&K again. They are hard-liners about sticking to their contract. So if activities were to be cancelled due to an unforeseen situation, they would offer something like a movie in a conference room and call that a "suitable" replacement. Not happy? Refer to their contract that says they may have to cancel some activities due to "unforeseen events". I definitely won't travel with them again.

I heard Thomson is perhaps going to Egypt. I'd look into that.

I know there are a couple people on this thread who have traveled with Nat Geo Journeys/G Adventures so thought this may be of interest. I got an email a couple weeks ago from G Adventures that they are launching family trips under the Nat Geo Journeys brand. They’re revealing one destination per week until May 4th:

https://www.gadventures.com/travel-styles/national-geographic-journeys/family/

It’s not clear if these are replacing the family trips currently offered under G Adventures, but it seems like that may be the case since the first two destinations - Peru and Costa Rica - are ones currently offered as family trips by G Adventures.

I personally am really excited about this. I’ve been hoping that G Adventures would expand their offering of family trips since they’ve had the same 6 trips listed for at least a few years now. Maybe this rebranding/relaunch of their family itineraries under Nat Geo Journeys is why. There are 12 weeks of “reveals” for the NGJ family destinations so even if they keep the current 6 destinations they’ll be adding at least 6 new ones.

Last edited:
Has anyone here gone on river cruises with Avalon or Viking? I’m looking into possibly going with them on a Rhine river cruise next spring.

Not them, but I will completely recommend Ama waterways. They're the ship ABD uses, and the trips cost much less without ABD, but offer just as many shore excursions. I'm planning to go on a non-ABD trip with them soon. The staff, food, and quarters were amazing. https://www.amawaterways.com/

We have been on Avalon and considered them top notch. The rooms are good size, the cruise directors have been wonderful, and the food excellent.

Not them, but I will completely recommend Ama waterways. They're the ship ABD uses, and the trips cost much less without ABD, but offer just as many shore excursions. I'm planning to go on a non-ABD trip with them soon. The staff, food, and quarters were amazing. https://www.amawaterways.com/

Yep. I've done ABD-AMA and AMA-only. Both were wonderful (but very different) trips. I enjoyed both immensely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!