Other than Disney: places elsewhere you may want to check out!

Knott's Berry Farm has dramatically stepped up their helpfulness to those with disabilities. They of course have a pass like most theme parks that you get from guest relations. Theirs works a little differently, instead of getting a return time, you go to an attraction, the first one you get straight on and then they mark down what time you can next use the pass based on the current length of the line. Do note the maximum party size with a pass is 4 people, including the person that need the pass.

But you can go and never do a single ride and spend all day with the entertainment and atmosphere and have a blast, especially.if you like historical things.

As for some of the disability friendly things they are doing:
If you have a handicap placard or.playe, you can park in the marketplace parking for the same rate (or.of you have a pass with parking that works too) and it is the closest parking to the front of the park they have.

I have seen people that need to rent an ECV standing in line outside the park and clearly having a hard time and staff has brought a rental ECV to them.

They will offer to open doors, carry trays, fill drinks at self service stations, move things that might be in the way without being asked. Basically the things Disney used to.do, but no.longer seem inclined to do unless you ask them to. Might seem small, but when you need it, it.is huge.

Generally, unless it is an area that isn't well staffed, if they see someone standing in front of someone in a wheelchair at a show, they will kindly ask them to stand behind the person in a wheelchair.

The list goes on and on and Everytime we go we see the.do.something else that surprises us.

I am tired so I may have to edit later.

San Diego Wild Animal Park

On the left is guest service which gave me detailed instructions and literature. I received free admission as companion of my mother. Parking is close to the entrance. Walk ways are paved and not a problem but them hills can be murder on the person pushing the wheelchair. They explained the steep areas and I was told to go to the offices and they put mom and me in a modified golf cart with a drop down ramp so that ECVs and wheelchairs can board. All a person has to do is call from a box which they tell the location of. We got rides all over the park.

I had no reactions from the food and cannot remember that part. The park is inland and can be unbearably hot or cold. Mom was chilled the first hours. The monorail is an hour long trek and no getting off. It is a bench seat with plenty of room to stand up. I put mom's wheelchair near the door and she stood up and walked in. I believe up front there is a wheel chair spot. The first car or two are quiet zones where you cannot be too loud as it makes it hard to hear the guide.

Overall they were good with my food requests, offered assistance without me asking, were very helpful, free transportation to avoid steep hills, and disabled bathrooms. Down side was the wheelchair's front wheel getting stuck in a hole in a bridge. Mom slid forward a couple inches and I got jarred by the sudden stop. Bring a friend to help on the hills.
They have constantly improved since this post, adding an elevator on the steepest hill, creating regularly scheduled shuttles along a regular route for the accessible vehicles, but can still be called to certain locations.on demand. I believe The bridge you mention is no more.

San Diego.Zoo is similar as well.

We live in San Antonio near Sea World and I go there frequently. I can’t speak for the other Sea Worlds, but this one works great for handicapped people. Most of the rides aren’t accessible, but all of the shows are.

We’ve also done the Arizona Memorial on Oahu and it’s accessible. The boat that takes you across the bay works great for wheelchairs.

Has anyone gone to DC? My sister and I are making a trip in March. Due to the amount of walking, I'm hoping to rent an ECV. Any suggestions as to a good company? We're staying at Club Wyndham Old Town in Alexandria, VA. It's about a block from a Metro station. Any tips using a scooter on the subway?

Has anyone gone to DC? My sister and I are making a trip in March. Due to the amount of walking, I'm hoping to rent an ECV. Any suggestions as to a good company? We're staying at Club Wyndham Old Town in Alexandria, VA. It's about a block from a Metro station. Any tips using a scooter on the subway?

I live in the DC suburbs - also near a Metro station. I've been here decades and I've lived in northern VA but it was when I first moved here - I'm in the Maryland suburbs now. I use an ECV at WDW but I don't use one here - I generally take very targeted trips downtown. However there is a fantastic bus service called the DC Circulator Bus: https://www.dccirculator.com. They have a bus that takes a perfect route around the National Mall and puts you very close to most monuments and museums: http://www.dccirculator.com/explore/where-we-go/national-mall/. They also have several other routes (like going to Georgetown) that you may be interested in. I have taken that National Mall route many times and for $1 I don't think you can beat it. Here is their page on accessibility: https://www.dccirculator.com/bus-basics/accessibility/

I also utilize Uber/Lyft a lot when I'm downtown. Doing this I can usually save my walking for the thing I'm visiting (like a museum). My "oh $%&#" plan if my knees get really bad is just to Uber back home and call it a day.

You don't see people using ECV's very often. I honestly cannot think of a time I've noticed one (and I always rent one at WDW so I know how they look). I've been to some large conferences downtown in hotels or conference centers and I've seen a few being used there by conference attendees.

I'll be interested to hear how your trip goes. Our Metro system is notorious for having broken elevators which requires people in WC's to get off in a different station and take a bus to the station they wanted (that has a broken elevator). In my younger days I would take a stroller with the kids and so I've been hit with this on the fly (fortunately I could manage by carrying the kid and stroller on the escalator). I do see people using electric WC's occasionally. When I've been to the National Zoo I did rent an ECV directly from them for use in the zoo - that zoo has some wicked hills. Here's Metro's accessibility page: https://www.wmata.com/service/accessibility/metrorail.cfm. You can sign up for text messages about elevator outages there also.

Also BE AWARE that the Metro system here had a problem with it's new rail cars and had to take all of them out of service which has caused longer waits - they aren't expected back in service until May at the earliest I think: https://www.wmata.com/service/statu...rvice-and-Derailment-Investigation-Update.cfm
From talking to people who use the Metro every day they are frustrated with it because they can get stuck waiting 20+ minutes for a train. https://www.wmata.com/service/statu...rvice-and-Derailment-Investigation-Update.cfm. Just be aware of it - as a tourist you are on less of a schedule so it may not matter as much. I don't know how crowded it is making the system during rush hour at the moment (many here still telework).

I guess you can tell I can't help much with the ECV part! However if you are able to walk some - depending on how much - and you find the ECV not working out perhaps my other tips will help. Feel free to DM me and I'm happy to answer any questions I can. I have been downtown rarely since the pandemic (the museums were closed for a very long time plus of course the various protest/demonstration type events that can make it difficult to get around - on a purely logistical/tourist standpoint they make taking a bus/uber very tough and it affects the operation of museums, restaurants, etc.). The Smithsonian museums are amazing and free - I hope you have a great trip!

I went to Busch Gardens Williamsburg this past weekend and took my young adult son and his friend. They split off from me and tackled the big coasters so I was on my own. ECV rental there is $80 a DAY - Yikes!!! That is more expensive than what I paid for a 2 day ticket! I was there 2 days and so I thought I'd try the park without it because of the cost. I would walk a short bit and sit down, then walk a bit more. I used the train to get around (skyyride was down) so it was veeeeeeery slow going (sometimes 30 min wait for the next train). I rode one ride other than the train and saw some of the shows but that's about it. This park is super hilly and walking down hill is hard for me. I'm paying the price with my knees for not getting a scooter. We stayed about 5-6 hours each day in the parks. There wasn't much I wanted to ride there so that made it more ok. Because of the hilly terrain it's one park I'd need an ECV if I really wanted to see and do everything. Park is great for people who like thrill rides and the staff were all very nice. If I go back I'll look into getting a portable ECV somewhere. You can take your ECV on the train - I didn't notice anyone in ride lines with one so I am not sure what the policy is there. I did a lot of sitting on the train and sitting on benches - people watching and show watching - kids had a great time. Made me realize why I love Disney so much - haha! :)

I went to Busch Gardens Williamsburg this past weekend and took my young adult son and his friend. They split off from me and tackled the big coasters so I was on my own. ECV rental there is $80 a DAY - Yikes!!! That is more expensive than what I paid for a 2 day ticket! I was there 2 days and so I thought I'd try the park without it because of the cost. I would walk a short bit and sit down, then walk a bit more. I used the train to get around (skyyride was down) so it was veeeeeeery slow going (sometimes 30 min wait for the next train). I rode one ride other than the train and saw some of the shows but that's about it. This park is super hilly and walking down hill is hard for me. I'm paying the price with my knees for not getting a scooter. We stayed about 5-6 hours each day in the parks. There wasn't much I wanted to ride there so that made it more ok. Because of the hilly terrain it's one park I'd need an ECV if I really wanted to see and do everything. Park is great for people who like thrill rides and the staff were all very nice. If I go back I'll look into getting a portable ECV somewhere. You can take your ECV on the train - I didn't notice anyone in ride lines with one so I am not sure what the policy is there. I did a lot of sitting on the train and sitting on benches - people watching and show watching - kids had a great time. Made me realize why I love Disney so much - haha! :)

Silver Dollar City in Branson is hilly like that - they have a special path that they built for strollers, and mobility devices between the "upper" and "lower" sections because the grade is that extreme. We are so spoiled by Disney that we literally went past the entrance from the "upper" side several times looking for it! My daughter was VERY determined - not only so that we could see the shops and attractions down in the holler, but also because that's where the parks one and only Starbucks is 😆

SDCs rental scooters are cheaper - but they are big ol' tanks like WDW rents. The fact that they are slow helps them handle the hills... better? But there are still times and places where they just don't work at SDC. Even my Travelscoot struggles at SDC, and while my Fold & Go eats up the hills and inclines at WDW, SDC was definitely at the limit.

There is a reason that their park map literally shows places that are off limits for strollers and mobility devices!

Silver Dollar City in Branson is hilly like that - they have a special path that they built for strollers, and mobility devices between the "upper" and "lower" sections because the grade is that extreme.

Wow! I know the map for BGW has some parts marked noting the inclines but I'm not sure if it meant their park scooters couldn't handle it (or personal ones). The ECV's at BGW are just like the Disney rentals - tanks. My guess is anyone who uses an ECV at WDW would want one at BGW unless they are content to spend a lot of time on park benches lol. I also cannot imagine someone pushing me in a WC up those hills - or trying to hold on to it going down them. That would be terrifying!:scared:

Have you or anyone else been to Dollywood? I'm curious to stop there sometime as I have family in that direction I visit. I stayed in Gatlinburg in 2019 and managed without the ECV - not sure I wrote about that trip here. There were actually places in Gatlinburg on the main strip to rent ECV's.

Wow! I know the map for BGW has some parts marked noting the inclines but I'm not sure if it meant their park scooters couldn't handle it (or personal ones). The ECV's at BGW are just like the Disney rentals - tanks. My guess is anyone who uses an ECV at WDW would want one at BGW unless they are content to spend a lot of time on park benches lol. I also cannot imagine someone pushing me in a WC up those hills - or trying to hold on to it going down them. That would be terrifying!:scared:

Have you or anyone else been to Dollywood? I'm curious to stop there sometime as I have family in that direction I visit. I stayed in Gatlinburg in 2019 and managed without the ECV - not sure I wrote about that trip here. There were actually places in Gatlinburg on the main strip to rent ECV's.

We have not been to Dollywood... yet. It's on our list, but Branson is only 4 hours from home (unlike WDW, which is 1201 miles from our front door! 🥴 ) and Herschend runs both SDC and Dollywood these days. I have heard that the food is *amazing* at the Dollywood Resort, and the park there looks really cute. I don't really know about accessibility. I remember that Tim & Jenn of TimTracker went to Dollywood a few years ago, but I think they went on the "shoulder" of a season, when it was colder, and there were fewer people if I remember right.

I was raised going to Branson for weekend trips, and WDW (starting in the Summer of '72) for "big" trips, so I know Branson really well, and have seen it grow and change over the years. SDC is easily twice the size it used to be, but it's a LOT of coasters, and sadly, a lot less craftspeople than there used to be. Dolly has the "Stampede" in Branson, which is a dinner show; I think it has returned this season like most everything else up there. When it's up and running, it's easily one of the most popular shows on the strip in Branson, even though she never appears!

That's cool that you can rent ECVs right there in Gatlinburg! We lived in northern Alabama for a while when I was in college, and my folks wanted to get up there, but we never managed to go. I'm sure it's quite different nowadays!

So, first one to Dollywood has to post a trip report! I really want to go, but I don't think I can squeeze in a spring trip now - maybe we will try to go there this fall (when it's a bit cooler!)

We have not been to Dollywood... yet. It's on our list, but Branson is only 4 hours from home (unlike WDW, which is 1201 miles from our front door! 🥴 ) and Herschend runs both SDC and Dollywood these days.

I went to "Dollywood" back in 1971 I think when it was Goldrush Junction! I didn't realize it was a SDC named park before it became Dollywood or that the same company runs both now. I grew up on the TN border and Gatlinburg was a popular destination and still is for a short vacay. I'd love to go to Branson but I never head that way - would be interesting to see it! From what I remember of the park, I bet Dollywood has hills. My theme park as a kid was Opryland in Nashville - which is long gone sadly! I may consider in future trips to any theme park (other than WDW) renting a portable ECV locally and take it with me in the car if I can find the room & have someone to help me. Doing the "bench sitting" tour of Busch Gardens was not the most exciting and my knees are worse for it!

I went to "Dollywood" back in 1971 I think when it was Goldrush Junction! I didn't realize it was a SDC named park before it became Dollywood or that the same company runs both now. I grew up on the TN border and Gatlinburg was a popular destination and still is for a short vacay. I'd love to go to Branson but I never head that way - would be interesting to see it! From what I remember of the park, I bet Dollywood has hills. My theme park as a kid was Opryland in Nashville - which is long gone sadly! I may consider in future trips to any theme park (other than WDW) renting a portable ECV locally and take it with me in the car if I can find the room & have someone to help me. Doing the "bench sitting" tour of Busch Gardens was not the most exciting and my knees are worse for it!

I hope your knees recover soon!!!

We were watching a YouTube video on Efteling theme park and so DH decided to look them up online, it seems they really go above and beyond at letting you know what to expect and how to handle things.

https://www.efteling.com/en/park/information/disabled-visitors/plan-your-visit

They also have free wheelchair rentals and mobility scooters are a little over $20 USD per day. They have videos on exactly how wheelchair access works at several.of their attractions, lis which ones service animals are permitted on, etc.

Just got back from another trip to Houston - the zoo there is very accessible! Lots of ramps to access platforms (not sure about the giraffe feeding as we didn't do it this time) and lots of open space. I never got anxious at any of the animal enclosures, even the new Galapagos exhibit. Many out of the way quiet spots, except the whole zoo is in downtown Houston in the medical area, and helicopters landing on the rooftop right next door was a bit loud. The Museum of Natural History was pretty accessible as well, but the gem/mineral section is very dark.

DH was also impressed with the Portland Oregon zoo I think he said it was, extremely accessible, if there was a door, there was also a push button for wheelchair users to open the door, even at the aviaries and they all worked perfectly.

My daughters and I watched video and looked at the website for Efteling a few years ago. There was a video of one of their rides that people posted claiming it was a ‘sneak peek’ at the Frozen ride in EPCOT.
If I ever get back to the Netherlands, I’d love to visit

My daughters and I watched video and looked at the website for Efteling a few years ago. There was a video of one of their rides that people posted claiming it was a ‘sneak peek’ at the Frozen ride in EPCOT.
If I ever get back to the Netherlands, I’d love to visit
Yeah, the video we watched looked really cool and DH was very impressed with how transparent there were about guests with disabilities and how helpful they are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter