Otto Warmbier

This was a pretty good article out this morning that talks about the complexities involved in our dealings with NK and what we may be able to do about the human rights issues.

http://www.philly.com/philly/opinio...-korean-crimes-against-humanity-20170621.html

And in other news... a) North Korea is denying torture and b) Dennis Rodman is making the talk show circuit. (All in one article! But there are plenty more around...)

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/23/asia/otto-warmbier-north-korea/index.html
Thank you!

Boy this is such a tough call. As a parent, I'm not sure if I'd want to know exactly what horrors my son endured? I think that would effect me and I would obsess over it and have a hard time moving on. Maybe I wouldn't want to know either. Sometimes not knowing the exact details can be comforting, if that could at all be possible?

My heart goes out to them. As a parent this is the greatest fear I have with my kids, them being taken away and me not able to get to them. Ugh, so horrific. May they be able to find some peace in the knowledge that their son is finally at peace.

Just so sad. I cannot even begin to understand teh pain this family is undergoing, I just feel so badly.

This is very sad for the family but i think the biggest insult is that North Korea is claiming to be the victim here the only thing they are a victim of is their evil vile mentally unstable dictator

This is very sad for the family but i think the biggest insult is that North Korea is claiming to be the victim here the only thing they are a victim of is their evil vile mentally unstable dictator

While your assessment of the guy in charge is correct, there are a lot of people who actually run the show. While he has made a lot of crazy executive decisions, he's not really known for being a micromanager. There were rumors that some of his relatives had more of a day to day role than Kim Jong Un.

Boy this is such a tough call. As a parent, I'm not sure if I'd want to know exactly what horrors my son endured? I think that would effect me and I would obsess over it and have a hard time moving on. Maybe I wouldn't want to know either. Sometimes not knowing the exact details can be comforting, if that could at all be possible?

My heart goes out to them. As a parent this is the greatest fear I have with my kids, them being taken away and me not able to get to them. Ugh, so horrific. May they be able to find some peace in the knowledge that their son is finally at peace.
:sad: Impossibly tough. I'm involved with a number of mothers who participate in a grief-counselling group for parents who have lost children in horrific, unusual ways. The prevailing wisdom is that in the absence of fact, whatever they "imagine" is worse than the reality, and those thoughts torment them relentlessly. The ones who have discussed it with me have all said they have been able to "deal" with the truth better than their own speculations, but it would be wrong to assume it's the same for everybody. Grace and peace to this family. :flower3:

Would you be able to cope better if there was conclusive evidence that your child did not endure any horrors?

Last edited:
In this case, I really do not know that an additional autopsy would reveal anything conclusive.
I think other people have mentioned that there were probably MANY other kinds of tests done.

I would want to know that, after all my loved one has been thru, it was now over, and that they were laid to rest, in peace.

My husband knows exactly what is done with this kind of autopsy. OMG.

I agree with the parents decision here.
And, you know what, their decision is what matters.
The only thing that matters.
Not what a bunch of people on chat-boards and social media think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!