OTUP and Riviera

Lorana

DIS Veteran
Do OTUP (One Time Use Points) effectively count as "direct" for purposes of booking Riviera? I presume yes, but I also realize I hadn't see the answer to this before, so wanted to check. We're considering trying to see if we can book Riviera at the 7 month mark for next December with our direct points, and rather than having to borrow points, I was wondering if I could use OTUP for it?

And while I do have a mix of direct and resale, I figured I'd ask this for the pure resale members out there: If they wanted to stay at Riviera they could in theory purchase up to 25 OTUP to spend 1-2 nights in a Tower or Studio room, correct?

They are only available at 7 months, up to 24, but its a good question. I don’t know if one has to have qualifying points or not to buy OTU points for that place.

Since they don’t carry any home resort priority and are Disney points, my guess would be someone probably could do it for a night or so.

Brings up the reverse question in terms of a resale buyer who only has RIV points. Would they be allowed at 7 months to purchase those 24 to use at the other resorts for a night or two?

Given that you have to buy them and use them by phone, I would expect you need qualifying contract for the MS rep to be able to book it.

Under original rules when first created, the OTUP's likely could not have been used by a resale purchaser for Riviera because use of such points was limited to either adding on to an already existing reservation or making a new reservation using both your own and OTUP points; in other words, you could purchase them only to complete a reservation made with your regular points. But that restriction was dropped later and one can now use OTUP points separately for a new reservation, which may imply that you can reserve Riviera using OTUP points. In any event, you probably still need to check wit MS if you want to try to do it.

There is, of course, a different issue. Tower studios and standard studios at Riviera have become very difficult to get at 7 months out; in fact, both have also developed an 11-month availability issue. And even the preferred studios have a 7-month availability issue at many times.

I just bought 11 OTUP's today for a night at a Riviera tower studio because I didn't want to borrow in any more points. I used my direct contract, since out of my 3 contracts (I have 3 different membership numbers) that's the only one I can use at Riviera. I didn't use any of my points, just bought the 11 I needed. I didn't ask about my non-qualifying contracts because I assume they won't let you. They process your points purchase before they book the room, so it seems like once they add the points, the system wouldn't let them be used for a resort that's not allowed with that contract.

You can buy OTUP's with a disney gift card, in case anyone's wondering.

I just bought 11 OTUP's today for a night at a Riviera tower studio because I didn't want to borrow in any more points. I used my direct contract, since out of my 3 contracts (I have 3 different membership numbers) that's the only one I can use at Riviera. I didn't use any of my points, just bought the 11 I needed. I didn't ask about my non-qualifying contracts because I assume they won't let you. They process your points purchase before they book the room, so it seems like once they add the points, the system wouldn't let them be used for a resort that's not allowed with that contract.

You can buy OTUP's with a disney gift card, in case anyone's wondering.

The OTU points go into the membership and not a contract..

Since you used it in a membership with RIV points, it may or may not be why it was allowed.

But what it did clarify is that you can buy to use for a single reservation and it does not need to be part of a different one.

The OTU points go into the membership and not a contract..

Since you used it in a membership with RIV points, it may or may not be why it was allowed.

But what it did clarify is that you can buy to use for a single reservation and it does not need to be part of a different one.
I can verify you can use them for the whole reservation, I also did that a few weeks ago for an animal kingdom one night stay.

Price for OTU is $19/point, can be bought at 7 months to make a reservation, up to 24 per UY.

Any reservation with them Can only be modified by calling MS, not online.

We still don't really have an answer to this question:

If I don't have any direct points or grandfathered points, can I buy OTUP to make a reservation at Riviera?

We still don't really have an answer to this question:

If I don't have any direct points or grandfathered points, can I buy OTUP to make a reservation at Riviera?
Maybe someone could ask via Chat on member website? I’m not where I can Chat right now, otherwise I’d do it.

Maybe someone could ask via Chat on member website? I’m not where I can Chat right now, otherwise I’d do it.

I was going to but I have all qualified memberships and figured the chat person might say yes not understanding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter